Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustard in my oil cap?? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Mustard in my oil cap?? WTF

Ok so I was chaning the oil the other day, bought me some RP 5-30 and a K&N filter... "on sale 5 qts and the filter for 50 bucks"... Well I drain my old oil out of it, which was also RP, check my filter (mobil 1) and everything looks as it should... No milkyness in the oil no metal shavings in the filter, when the filter is drained it looks pretty much new still.. "4500 miles between changes"

Ok so all looks good, I put the new filter in, tighten up the drain plug and go to put oil in the engine.... The cap is kinda stuck...SO I muscle it open and I find this mustard like substance that was causing my cap to sieze up... Well its all under the cap in huge gobs, and down the drain tube about 2 knuckles but not all the way down.... I cleaned it all out because obviously it's not supposed to be their but my question is WTF is it!!! I have seen when oil gets water in it before and it never looked like this, but that was conventional oil. I have been using RP for a few years now and never seen anything like this and my last oil change nothing as well..... the oil looked like it should.....oil....and I have had no other real problems with it other then an occasional piston slap when its cold..... Any Ideas??

Here is just one picture I took, I did take a couple more.... but it has me baffled..... It literally looked and felt like mustard....
Old 02-20-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=506522014

I had already cleaned out most of the "mustard" before the picture was taken, then I realized I should take a picture...so I Scooped up what was left on my finger....
Old 02-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal, theres been many threads about this, i have it in my oil cap also.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Normal or not what causes it so I can fix it...I don't want that crap in my oil....
Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Either drive the car more and stop taking short trips, start letting it warm up for 5+ minutes every time your start it, or deal with it. I'll take #3
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Parasoth
Either drive the car more and stop taking short trips, start letting it warm up for 5+ minutes every time your start it, or deal with it. I'll take #3
X2
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Parasoth
I have remote start on my car and it warms up for at least 5 minutes if not 10 minutes before I drive it, The shortest trips I can possibly take are a minimum of 20 miles because that's how far out of town I live.... so on both cases this is not the issue....

If you were talking about the "piston" slap thing, I don't drive it when it's doing that it sits in my driveway warming up... I have a 1 year old that goes everywhere with me and I wont put him into a freezing car....so by the time I get in to drive the piston slap, if their was any "since it doesn't always do it" is gone...but this does not solve the mustard in the oil cap and filler or how I can fix it...which is really the root of my question...how do I fix it...
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've seen something similar before but it was more green than yellow. on my friends camaro he had a bad head gasket, and the color was from coolant.

u could do a leakdown test just to see
Old 02-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

most lickly cause is condensation mixed with oil
it is something that is more common than you think it is. propper warm up can reduce it but since you do warm up your engine before you drive another cause could be a stuck or clauged pcv valve
Old 02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01'SSLSX
i've seen something similar before but it was more green than yellow. on my friends camaro he had a bad head gasket, and the color was from coolant.

u could do a leakdown test just to see
Ya im not leaking coolant and it is only on the cap and filler..
Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Q8-TECH
it is something that is more common than you think it is. propper warm up can reduce it but since you do warm up your engine before you drive another cause could be a stuck or clauged pcv valve
where is the pcv valve and how do I check this... and would this cause it only to be in the filler cap and spout and not in the oil which seemed to be my problem...like I said even the filter looked clean, and didn't have this gunk in it, and I changed the oil with it slightly warm "it ran for about 1 minute has I had to start it and move it into the car port out of the snow..."

((oil came out about at 60 degrees))
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
I had a BBC with aluminum valve covers on it, and I went to lash valves one afternoon, after letting the engine warm up, pulled the valve cover off and a good portion of the underside of the valve cover was covered in just what you posted from your Facebook pic. It's simply condensation forming then mixing with the oil. My machine shop machinist told me to, "...drive the car and not worry about it...it is normal..."
Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixt9er
+1
I had a BBC with aluminum valve covers on it, and I went to lash valves one afternoon, after letting the engine warm up, pulled the valve cover off and a good portion of the underside of the valve cover was covered in just what you posted from your Facebook pic. It's simply condensation forming then mixing with the oil. My machine shop machinist told me to, "...drive the car and not worry about it...it is normal..."
Doesn't seem right to me though, I figured it was some sort of water mixing with the synthetic, but it can't possibly be good.... given the water shouldn't affect the aluminum pieces much, but it certainly can't be helpful for the engine internals.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

it is water (condensatoin) mixed with your oil like i said its more common than you think it is but many people dont like it and i would understand why.You pcv valve should be in your valve cover, there should be a hose coming out of it you can un plug it, if you dont know how to check it its pretty cheap to replace (4-10$at local parts shop)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is water (condensatoin) mixed with your oil like i said its more common than you think it is but many people dont like it and i would understand why.You pcv valve should be in your valve cover, there should be a hose coming out of it you can un plug it, if you dont know how to check it its pretty cheap to replace (4-10$at local parts shop)
Cool I'll go out and try to check that then in a little bit, maybe its somthing I can fix, I just put new oil in it and I wont want the risk of having this nasty gunk in my engine...
Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure your PVC system is correctly connected. Make sure you drive far enough to burn it off, if you don't take the car for a good run every few days. I had this problem with one of my other cars, total repair bill was over $3,000 because it got cold and the condensation froze wreaking havoc with several internal parts.

Last edited by vettenuts; 02-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I get it on my cap too from time to time, I dont notice it at every oil change just some. It appears to be normal on these cars, there have been many posts about this on this forum. I have never had this problem on my other vehicles. I suspected my PCV valve when I saw it the first time but it was fine and I replaced it anyway and it still does it, so I just deal with it.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Make sure your PVC system is correctly connected. Make sure you drive far enough to burn it off, if you don't take the car for a good run every few days. I had this problem with one of my other cars, total repair bill was over $3,000 because it got cold and the condensation froze reaking havoc with several internal parts.
that is what I DONT want to happen..... I probably put over 300 miles on my car a week easily....I just don't want this gunk to start collecting under my valve covers or god forbid in my engine....
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not really sure what or how the PCV plays into this happening. Not saying that it couldn't happen, i'm just at a loss as to why a PCV would cause this. I ran a breather cap on my valve covers and it still happened. Never tried to run a PVC on my old school BBC though. Hmmm...
Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixt9er
I'm not really sure what or how the PCV plays into this happening. Not saying that it couldn't happen, i'm just at a loss as to why a PCV would cause this. I ran a breather cap on my valve covers and it still happened. Never tried to run a PVC on my old school BBC though. Hmmm...
i heard running breather caps on valve covers wasn't a good thing.... (( on stock applications))

Quick Reply: Mustard in my oil cap?? WTF