Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam in stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
spend the money on a built tranny and a rearend, then spend the money for cam and heads!!!!!!!!! makes no sense to make power then have your tranny take a dump.. build the tranny and rearend to be able to withstand the power and abuse.
I am going to buy a flt level 4 trans and a 4c stall if everything goes as planned. On the rearend I am going to run my stock ten bolt for a while atleast. I have had two of these cars down in the 11's that the ten bolt held up under fine and I really don't plan to even track this car all the time like I did those. TEA built my last car and I was really happy with it but I trying to do a few things diff on this one and hopefully it works out as good or better.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969mach1
a custom cam cost the same as an "off the shelf" cam
plus it will just make more power down the road with what ever else is done ie heads or what ever...
a used off the shelf cam can run you anywhere from 175-250 bucks. if he gets a custom cam to take advantage of stock heads, it wont make as much power as if he waits to get a custom cam to take advantage of aftermarket heads. think about what im saying....
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by my 1st LS1 SS
What kind of HP and TQ gains are you gonna get from that GM cam with an otherwise stock LS1? I am also interested in a cam swap and do not know much about them. I have no intentions of any sort of head work at this time.
Red Rocket, do you do most of your work yourself or do you have a speed shop that helps you out? I am from Marshalltown area and would love to find someone/somewhere that could help me with my car.

Thanks guys.
here is the ASA from the dyno section
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-results.html
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bww3588
a used off the shelf cam can run you anywhere from 175-250 bucks. if he gets a custom cam to take advantage of stock heads, it wont make as much power as if he waits to get a custom cam to take advantage of aftermarket heads. think about what im saying....
I would never ever by a used cam (agian) I have been burnt on used cams. He and everyone else are more than welcome to pick up a used cam, I just would do it. The poster stated that they wanted the BEST cam for the way the car is set up now... not down the road.
I got a custom ground cam for stock 241 heads and I have plans to go with heads sometime down the road and then at that time i will get another custom cam for the what ever is being done down the road.
But if i did stay with the first cam and just added head, it's going to make more power than it did befor the heads (depending on the heads).

im sure, one day he would like to have a 500+cid motor with heads the flow over 400cfm, a sheetmetal intake with two 1050 dominators.
but he's not going to get a cam for that and run it in a stock LS1 with hopes and plans for that motor, it would be a huge turd.
DONT get a cam for what you hope to have oneday, get a cam for what you have now! we all know thing change down the road. if you get a cam for something you dont have it's going to be a trud and more time than not the plans always change.

Originally Posted by damien_tiffany
I appreciate all of the feedback. I would like to add some good heads later on but that could be a while down the road. I am just looking for the best cam for my current application right now. I am putting in a 4c circle d or a ss3600 yank stall with another new built tranny so I should have a good stall and trans to back up most of the cams that suit my application I hope anyway. I haven't ordered my stall yet obviously but I plan to hopefully tomorrow. Is there anything you guys want to add regarding my stall for the cam's you have pointed out?
Thanks again

Last edited by 1969mach1; 03-02-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

of course it will run better. any engine will run better with a good set of heads regardless of cam choice. what im saying, is he plans to add heads when he can afford them, so why spend the money on a custom cam, when he can get a custom cam down the road and make more power with the same set of heads?

i havent had any bad luck with a used cam, i just check to make sure its what im being told it is before i buy it.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

I run a 4C Circle D with the Torquer V2, and it runs strong. The converter makes it fun to drive.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock cam, but I have an FLT Stage 4 w/ VIG 3000 & 255 DRs; stock 10-bolt still holding @ 110k mi