Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRex cam swap... suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRex cam swap... suggestions please

So I was thinking about selling/trading the car, but it seems either nobody has money or they wanna trade me junk... so I'm keeping the Z. I'm a regular poster on ls1.com (same username), but not many people have much quality information as I've seen going on around here.

Since I don't drive the car regularly, I think I'll go ahead and do the cam swap before the rear upgrade, but can't decide on which one to get. I really really like the TRex cam and the numbers that alot of people have gotten off of them. It's my understanding that this cam was R&D'ed around the factory head design, but wasn't sure how many people were throwing the juice to their LS1s on top of the cam? A friend of mine had a Y2K Z with the Comp .566/.568 and a Zex 125hp kit, and ran a 6.8@104mph with 3.73s/4L60E. Can't remember the stall, but it was an upgraded Moser 12 bolt on 35 splines. Can't remember his dyno numbers, but I know he said the cam had given him somewhere around 30 more horses. This was with ONLY full exhaust and a lid being his supporting power mods (and a tune).

I know that it's all about the combination and not just the biggest cam, and that the biggest cam doesn't always win a race. I know the TRex makes alot of peak power, but what about power across the board? What does the torque and HP curve look like on a dynograph? I plan on spraying the car after the cam install, but that will eventually be down the road and after my rear, so it'll be another year or so before I do that. I've got a pair of LTs already on the car from the previous owner, when I asked of the brand, he said he didn't know and that he asked a shop to put on LTs. The car also has an ORY but has mini-cats re-installed because the previous owner didn't think the car would sell, with it being "obnoxiously loud" (I plan on ripping those off). Also has a borla cat-back, and a K&N "open filter" with the functional SS ram-air hood. So my other question is, what is the best IM/TB to go with? 90mm? 92mm? Maybe just an LS6? How much more would I gain from doing this over the factory LS1 setup? I figured if I'm upgrade the IM/TB for airflow purposes, may as well upgrade the fuel pump and injectors as well right? Any suggestions there?

And just FWIW, who here is running a RapTR cam? Can't seem to find much user info, and only two videos of it on you tube, but nobody can give me any other info, such as dyno numbers, supporting mods, etc. Anybody know anything about this cam and the power it makes over the TRex? I'm ready to pick up the phone to order my cam and kit but figured I'd try to scoop a little more info before making the call and it being too late...
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Just shy of 40 views and nothing? Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

I'd say go with the trex, sounds ******* badass and has awesome power, are you an a4 or m6? Don't know about nitrous though?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

I like the T-Rex cam That's what I went with. I love the power from it and the sound, i rebuilt my ls1 over winter so i can use aftermarket heads with it. I should be firing my build up the end of next week

Make sure you check PTV.
Upgrade Springs(.650 lift ones)
4k Stall if an Auto
4.10+ Gears.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all you want is a track car go TRex. If you want a more street friendly car the rapTR is a sweet cam. Either one will like the dope.....

And I second measuring PTV with the TRex....If it is ground a little off you may be cutting it too close...
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the Trex in my car for a week and found out that the valves were hitting the pistons. I ended up going with the RapTr, and yes it is very easy to drive on the street with the right tune. The power is great, but sorry no numbers for ya yet.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, good to hear to some owner input I could've sworn that TR said the TRex was the biggest cam (lift/duration) you could go without having to fly-cut the pistons, but I guess that's not the case?? I know the 4k stall is reccommended for this cam, but was curious as to the cam surge at certain low-level RPMs if I were to go with a slightly smaller stall such as a 3600... I've been doing some major research and it sucks because I've been putting all my eggs in one basket, and it seems as though this cam probably isn't the best in what I'm looking for. I'd like a nice size cam that will flow exceptionally well with factory heads, but still love the juice. I've got 2 other friends with TSP cams, but they're running Patriot heads as well. Anyways, they're making some good power, and run awesome and drive nice on the street. However, neither one of them are running any juice to their cars.

I'm seeing a few more Tsunami Q's & A's popping up, and thinking about doing some more digging on this cam, while I do the same with the RapTR cam. Peak horsepower is not my biggest concern, but I'm more worried about how much horsepower it's making with-in a given powerband (how far it carries it). And the same with any given shot of juice? Guess I'll just keep checking back, as it seems a few of you guys still have some numbers to put up as well.... I'll definately be patient with this one and keep my ears open, the last thing I want to do is pick a cam I'm going to end up hating on the weekends
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Teching In

i had the trex in my car and and didnt have to fly-cut the pistons. the car ran great (400rwhp stock heads and bottom end.) and i was getting ready to put it on the bottle but to late now. lol, here is a link to kinda what happen. with pics. but dont let me talk u out of getting the trex. i liked it. i know **** happens. i think that if it was not my dd, i would diffently go back to it. but i am debating now. the trex from what i been told makes a lot of peak power but its not across the board cam, or how ever u want to say it. my car is a 6 speed so i cant say anything about the stall. but good luck and hope everthing works better for u than me. lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...omplete-2.html

Quick Reply: TRex cam swap... suggestions please