Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it ever end :-( Ticking noise from motor area

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it ever end :-( Ticking noise from motor area

After my cam swap everything finally was running well im driving home and i go WOT after the trans bounced into redline (4l60e) i heard kind of like a squeaky noise maybe sounded like a belt or something? not sure i was on the highway. Anyway i pulled over and the car dropped to normal idle, fine oil presssure no stumbling i popped the hood and could hear a faint ticking noise. The noise gets pretty loud when your own the gas but when your not its hard to hear over the exhaust i drove the car all the way home and didnt have any driveability problems except i sort of felt a loss of power. Any ideas whats going on? if its serious i think i give up on this car i refuse to take the motor apart again

ps the squeaking noise is gone it was only present in that moment when it happened

Last edited by mvrotc; 03-18-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace the pushrods?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Loose or broken rocker arm.....On my last car, I drove around for a long time with mine broke and didn't even know it.

Let us know what you find.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

im thinking its also is the rocker because the car runs fine and when theres less vibration the ticking gets very faint

ps , the only thing i didnt change on the top end is the rockers

the lifters, springs , valves , seats ,retainers, heads, cam the whole shabang just didnt replace rockers

im gonna pull the cover off tonight
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Update , i removed the valve cover to find everything in pristine condition untouched nothing was loose or broken i took the coils off and had friend crank motor to see motion of valvetrain everything went up and down as it should. The only thing i didnt do was pull the rockers off and check the push rods could they be causing such a terrible ticking noise? or could it be something to do with/plugs/wires?

i also tried starting the car it it also does a wierd hesitate before it starts now which it didnt do before as you can see in the video i posted ps sorry for lack of visuals lol it was just so u guys could hear the sound, the car still makes perfect oil pressure but sort of faintly stumbles and roughly revs doesnt sit still at idle like it used too

im hoping my motor isnt done for :-(

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCwqye-9SI
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead an pull your pushrods. Those will make a nice tick if one of them broke at the tip or is bent.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

I work at a Pontiac/GMC dealership and the tick is a common complaint here with the LS engines we usually replace lifters, I personally have a tick in my 430 rwhp T/A with a LS1 but keep on driving it, 11.52 at 117. No breakdowns yet
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

your noise doesnt sound like a lifter though
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

I do not think it could be the lifters because i just replaced them brand new less than 100 miles on them at this point.

im running out of ideas at this point
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

bumpppp for video...

im ready to give up and sell the car as it sits
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check for a header or exhaust leak.....sounds crazy but its worth a shot.

You need to better track down where the ticking is coming from....and of course a video makes it difficult to really get an accurate idea of what it sounds like.

You may have also tagged/bent a valve also.....that would cause rough running and likely make a little noise.

You guys should pull all the plugs and take a look at them and while they are out do a quick cranking compression check on all eight holes.

Good luck....and if you get discouraged easily this hobby may not be for you. Hotrods are love-hate relationships so accept that and forge forward or take up golf.....LOL

-Tony

PS....My header theory is probably weak only due to the fact a bad exhaust leak wouldn't cause the engine to miss and run rough. Try and better track down the noise with a mechanics stethoscope and/or pull some plugs for inspection and do a cranking CR test.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

i been battling this car for the last 2 years lol been through alot including it driving through my basement cuz the shifter cable tore its just frutstraing it was finally running right lol

anyway the valves dont look bent im worried its a bottom end problem is there a chance the noise in the video is bottom end
Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

I just want to make sure you did actually replace your pushrods with aftermarket hardened pushrods. You said you replaced everything but didn't include them in your list. Bent or damaged pushrods can cause ticking, random misfires and other general problems. You need to pull them all out and roll them on a flat surface that should tell the story if it's pushrods. I know you said they seemed fine but unless you pulled them out you have no way of knowing.

You can't just look at your valves with the heads on and assembled and assume there not damaged they'd have to be really messed up if that were the case. You'll never find the problem if you don't troubleshoot methodically. As others have said it could also be your valves (they can get damaged along with the pushrods). So like Tony was saying do a cranking compression test on all 8 cylinders and if it's showing problems then do a leakdown test to narrow down the culprit.

Here's how I would troubleshoot this problem if I were you I ordered it this way to save you some labor.

-Check diagnostic trouble codes if any
-Pull the spark plugs and examine
-Perform cranking compression test on all cylinders (write down results)
-Pull valve covers and rocker arms
-Examine rocker arms, pushrods and springs
-Perform cylinder leak down if results from compression test were unfavorable (it's easier to do the leak down test now since the rocker arms are removed)

If all of the above checks out good then your issue is probably not in your valve train.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

im gonna check out the rockers and push rods in more detail when i get home from work tonight , and yes i replaced them with comp cam chromeoly push rods when i did the cam install
Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i know on my car, from my own personal opinion mine started ticking after i did my full exhaust headers all the way back. i swore up and down it was a exhaust leak.....but could not find anything and all my weld's are 100% and header bolts tight. I have heard a ton of complaints about this ticking, and i notice it the most if i am at idle and parked next to a wall(or a drive thru window) thats when its really bad cus it bounces off the wall and is annoying as ****. Car runs great, no problems at all, i have just come to the theory that it is just valvetrain noise off the headers.

seems to be a common problem with LS1's and you are not alone out there.....i pulled everything and could find nothing. i have just come to peace with it and play my sterio lound so i dont hear it at idle.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

an exhaust leak wouldnt cause a noise this severe nor would it cause the car to sputter on start up or run rough
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

my bad, i did not read that the car sputtered or ran rough........or how severe the tick was.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

yeah you can tell from the video i posted its pretty severe
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was at work and couldnt see the video............now that i just watched it though that is not just a tick sounds like a damn thump.....yea thats worse than what i was trying to think of when i was at work
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

part of me is starting to think that the bottom end of the motor is finished

Quick Reply: Does it ever end :-( Ticking noise from motor area