Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous oil consumption problem after heads/cam install...valve seals??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous oil consumption problem after heads/cam install...valve seals??

This past weekend I installed a TR224 camshaft, Patriot Stage II LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, Comp pushrods, etc...

Everything was purchased new with the exception of the heads which I got from a friend of a friend. The heads had about 2k miles on them and had been sitting for about 6 months prior to me buying them and another 2 months before I got around to installing them. I eyeballed the valve seals and they looked good and the heads showed no signs of an oil consumption issue, just the usual carbon build up.

From the second I fired the motor smoke was coming out the tailpipe and I figured that was normal because who knows how much crap was burning off from the first heat cycle. But the smoke has continued and the car has burned through 2 quarts of oil in about 100 miles. It puffs a big blue cloud right at start up and continues while the car is idling/running. The car is a 60k mile 2000 LS1 Z28 and used up at most a 1/2 quart of oil in 3k miles before this h/c install.

So did I screw up by not pulling the springs off for new valve seals or could something else be causing that kind of oil consumption. Also should I be driving the car while it's burning this much oil or just park it until I have a diagnosis?

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Iam thinking bad valve seals also..
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its possible that the valve seals cracked over the time they were stored, are you sure you got your pcv system hooked back up correctly?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

The PCV system was hooked back up exactly how it was before. I even stuck a new PCV valve in it during the install. I checked it this morning and there was a little oil residue on it, but nothing that would indicate 2 quarts had been sucked through there.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you put sealant on the rocker bolts? On ported heads the bottom of the bolt hole can be exposed to the port. I think its mainly the intake side that pulls the oil in but I would put sealant on all those bolts.

New valve seals is probably a good idea too.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Did you put sealant on the rocker bolts? On ported heads the bottom of the bolt hole can be exposed to the port. I think its mainly the intake side that pulls the oil in but I would put sealant on all those bolts.

New valve seals is probably a good idea too.

I was unaware of this. I installed a set of ported heads on a 04 Z06 about and year ago and just put red loctite on the rocker bolts and it's never had a problem. That's all I did to my bolts as well, just red loctite.

Could the motor really suck that much oil past those bolts in such a short time? I'll definitely put some thread sealer on them and see if that helps.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it burn oil as much under load as it does on light throttle and coast? Probability is that it is the rocker bolts or seals but if it smokes heavily under hard throttle you may have somehow damaged the rings. If it starts with a big puff of smoke, that is a strong sign of oil seeping past the bolts.

I would repalce the seals as long as you have the covers and rockers off, after all, you don't know the condition of the seals to begin with, much less after sitting for good while.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver2KZ
I was unaware of this. I installed a set of ported heads on a 04 Z06 about and year ago and just put red loctite on the rocker bolts and it's never had a problem. That's all I did to my bolts as well, just red loctite.

Could the motor really suck that much oil past those bolts in such a short time? I'll definitely put some thread sealer on them and see if that helps.
You might be OK with just loctite. I've read a number of threads that talk about a potential leak from the rocker bolts. I searched 'oil rocker leak sealant' in this room and found this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ake-ports.html

I remember a case a while back where the head was ported too much and had a crack that was letting a bunch of oil in. Hope that's not the case for you.

I would remove the intake manifold and do a good inspection of the intake runners, see if any oil is visible there. Checking the condition of the spark plugs may tell you if the oil problem is in one, a few, or all cylinders.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous oil consumption problem after heads/cam install...valve seals??