Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in manifold/intake ports.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil in manifold/intake ports.

I just pulled my manifold (4000 mile 408 stroker) and there's a bunch of oil in the runners/manifold. There was literally puddling in the bottom. I don't run any kind of PCV, just a -10an breather off of the driver side valve cover to a catchcan/breather under the driver headlight.

It is set up pretty loose (nitrous motor), but I've never sprayed it before. One thing I noticed is the rocker bolt holes are visable in the ports (TEA/Trickflow 225's).

I run the Jessel SS shaft rockers, and their little pedestal mounts to the heads seperate from the rockers. I haven't messed with the pedestal bolts (that go into the heads) since I bought it from LME. Could oil leaking through there due to no sealant cause the kind of oil problems I'm seeing?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

could be, I know a drawback of running no PCV system is that the rings dont seal so you could be getting a lot of oil in there that way
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 AM
That's what she said...

I mentioned not having a PCV system so people wouldn't think it was coming from there. I don't think having no PCV system would cause there to be MORE oil.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

If the rocker bolts break through the ports and have no sealant on them alot of oil will come in through them. And the PCV system has no effect on the rings sealing.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pcv can have a huge effect on ring seal, if you have a lot of oil coming into the intake it will not allow new rings to seat properly.
Doesn't sound like a leak from the rocker pedestal bolts because air comes FROM the intake, past the bolt holes and into the combustion chamber. Unless you have so much intake overlap it's blowing it into the intake.
The mention of the catch can might confuse people, why do you have one if you have no pcv? Does it blow that much oil out that you need to keep it from spraying everywhere?
So you have nothing connected to the intake, or TB that connects to the crankcase?
Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Pcv can have a huge effect on ring seal, if you have a lot of oil coming into the intake it will not allow new rings to seat properly.
Doesn't sound like a leak from the rocker pedestal bolts because air comes FROM the intake, past the bolt holes and into the combustion chamber. Unless you have so much intake overlap it's blowing it into the intake.
The mention of the catch can might confuse people, why do you have one if you have no pcv? Does it blow that much oil out that you need to keep it from spraying everywhere?
So you have nothing connected to the intake, or TB that connects to the crankcase?
No PCV of any kind, just a vent. Only thing connected to the intake is the brake booster, A/C vacuum hose, and MAP. The vent hose runs to the catchcan, which has a breather on top. I wanted it to be a clean setup, and not have a breather on my fab'd aluminum valve covers. I didn't just want to run the hose down there and stick a breather on it if I could catch a little of the oil before it went out along with the vapors. This is what I'm running.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The cam does have 20* of overlap. It's 242/246 XFI/XER. I ran a 253/263 with 34* of overlap for the first 1k miles. I understand the air is flowing into the ports, and I had thought about maybe the overlap causing some kind of reversion in the ports. It was my first thought.

I'm not sure if they have sealant or not, as I did not assemble the top end, and it would be easy to pull the covers off and add some if not. I removed the rockers/etc to change the cam/pushrods, but I have never unbolted the Jesel pedestals.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

That is odd as hell. The pedestal mounts are bolted to the heads, so how would the oil blow into the intake? Are you sayin that its leaking into the chamber and then blowing into the intake?

I would think that the oil would get sucked into the combustion chamber and be burnt. How is the idle?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
That is odd as hell. The pedestal mounts are bolted to the heads, so how would the oil blow into the intake? Are you sayin that its leaking into the chamber and then blowing into the intake?

I would think that the oil would get sucked into the combustion chamber and be burnt. How is the idle?
I've been told that ported heads often have the rocker bolt holes break through into the intake port. Failure to seal the threads upon re-assembly can allow oil from the rocker oiling to be drawn in through the threads and into the intake port.

My jury is still out on this and I may remove my intake manifold to inspect mine, but to me, that's a long bolt with a lot of threads and with a good coat of loctite I find it hard to believe oil could leak past these threads, but I've heard it happens.

Quick Reply: Oil in manifold/intake ports.