Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Did lots of searching: what to do with my 243's???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok Did lots of searching: what to do with my 243's???

So my GTO has ARH 1 3/4" LT's and GM hotcam with SLP 1.8rr's. I bought a set of ls2 243 heads, and although I cant afford to get them ported I figured after much searching that a good valve job is worth 20-30cfmish. This combined with a milling to get down to around 60ishcc chambers and 11:1 scr with a GM MLS gasket should be the way to go. Any thoughts on this? Should I just clean em up and run em as is or mill and vj? They have ~15k miles...

Does this sound like a solid plan, shoud I have a shop here local do the five angle and milling for around $300ish or go to another well respected shop that will do the milling and a three angle vj for around $150? Is it worth twice the amount for the additional work in the vj? These guys are the stereotypical local sbf/sbc heros etc that we always here about on here, which is why I wont let them touch the ports. However they claim to have done a few lsx heads and have flowbench numbers on them claiming 300cfm at .600 lift. Either way only poeple touching my heads would be tea, ai, wcch, etp, etc.... But that is the five angle people so I hope they know what they are doing with the vj. The three angle people I know have built a lot of modular ford stuff and 4g63's etc. I just don't know how familiar they are with lsx heads and what angles work with them...

Also Getting a pushrod checker, but anyone car to ballpark my pushrod length with ls7 lifters, a hotcam (supposedly stock base circle), and milled 243 heads (prolly bout 30 thou)

Ok now im rambling so Ill let you expert chime in here.

Thanks

Bijan
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will not hit 300cfm with just a valve job, more then likely 275ish with a nice set of 243s. It is very worthwhile and the price is cheap enough.

We do plenty if them here, and mill them down to 59-60cc often.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Sorry, to clarify they said 300 after they ported them with thier vj.

You recommend which then the five or three angle?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Oh and I am in AZ for now not in MI.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Hmmm nobody?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would go to the shop you think is best. A good three angle is better than a poor 5 angle. If they know how to bowl blend those heads that is another easy way to pick up a few cfm...
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Gotcha... Anything to clue me in on who knows what they are doing?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bijanmaleki
Gotcha... Anything to clue me in on who knows what they are doing?
PM paint it black on here. He's always giving out pretty accurate info and I've seen him say before that he can recommend some good guys for head work. For the right job, I'd be willing to ship them out. Post up what you decide on, you're going the same route with heads that I am.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Hmmm prolly gonna stay local
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are only a couple of places I would trust with 243's, and the cost is nowhere near what you are quoting (it would cost more for a good quality job). If the ship doesn't have a good sound history with LSx heads, personally I would just lap in the valves and install the heads as delivered from GM. The wrong work can actually decrease performance.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would shoot them over to AI, they seems to be making alot of hp on the dyno, do some research and see if the numbers are backed up at the track...
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

i would clean up the valve bowls, rocker bolt bulge, and valve guides with a homeport kit send them out for a VJ and mill.

doing that **** yourself you can hardly mess up by following the pics everyone posted here. as long as you dont try to change port shape, remember that your just "CLEANING" the obvious **** as mentioned, and the less material you take out of the port the better, you'll be fine.

go with a LSX shop to do the machine work.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 04-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Grandpa took a dremel to mine and handported them then had them milled .025 with a .051 MLS gasket
Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I have learned and can remember you only need a 5 angel valve if you are back cutting the seats.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Take a look at this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...head-work.html
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
There are only a couple of places I would trust with 243's, and the cost is nowhere near what you are quoting (it would cost more for a good quality job). If the shop doesn't have a good sound history with LSx heads, personally I would just lap in the valves and install the heads as delivered from GM. The wrong work can actually decrease performance.
Very good advice, and it's cheap!

You can always have more work done later if you still need more power and after you find the right shop.

FWIW, I don't understand why folks want to keep very specific stuff like a great valve job on LS heads "local", if the best work isn't done in their locality. The shipping costs are usually cited as a reason. So to save a few twenties, you give up lots of power?? Sorry, but that sounds like bad economics to me.

Jon
Old 04-16-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
There are only a couple of places I would trust with 243's, and the cost is nowhere near what you are quoting (it would cost more for a good quality job). If the shop doesn't have a good sound history with LSx heads, personally I would just lap in the valves and install the heads as delivered from GM. The wrong work can actually decrease performance.
Very good advice, and it's cheap!

You can always have more work done later if you still need more power and after you find the right shop.

FWIW, I don't understand why folks want to keep very specific stuff like a great valve job on LS heads "local", if the best work isn't done in their locality. The shipping costs are usually cited as a reason. So to save a few twenties, you give up lots of power?? Sorry, but that sounds like bad economics to me.

Jon
GMI '66

Bijan, when I noticed the Scottsdale/Flint co-addresses it just had to be Kettering. Where do you co-op?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Was a coop at TRW. Since have moved to AZ working on a masters out here and might be working for SRP a local power provider.