Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap in my heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap in my heads

I took off my intake manifold yesterday to paint it and found all kinds of crap under neath it (broken windshield, dirt, crap...) I also noticed my heads had a good bit of carbon buildup (or at least what I think it is?). Is there anyway to clean them out without losing all that crap into the block when I finally start it up? The crap thins out and is gone by the valves but the begging of the heads and even the intake manifold had this crap on it. Do you know what it is or if its normal? Should I just wait and sea foam the car when I get it started? It only as 28,000 mile but it looks pretty bad to me. Let me know. Thanks

Also the exhaust looks pretty nasty, will SeaFoam take care of this stuff?

Last edited by pemberton; 06-17-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell in the pics, looks like it could be oil.

Without getting the **** to fall into the cylinders, a toothbrush and some carb cleaner sprayed on it would get it off and then a rag to wipe it out the best you can.

Thats pretty nasty lookin for such low miles.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to invest in a catch can set up. Was there oil in the intake itself.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use a shop vac to suck out any loose junk in the runners.use a rage dampened with a degreaser,and remove what you can.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have the intake off and in the cleaning mood, check your knock sensors if they look okay.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

I bought the engine without the odometer so I may have got taken. I guess I'll use some carb cleaner and toothbrush and use my shopvac. I'll try to get everything. But if I can get a few pieces out and they go into the chamber will they be that harmful or will they just burn? I did notice a little oil in the intake manifold. What would cause it to get all the way up there?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pemberton
I bought the engine without the odometer so I may have got taken. I guess I'll use some carb cleaner and toothbrush and use my shopvac. I'll try to get everything. But if I can get a few pieces out and they go into the chamber will they be that harmful or will they just burn? I did notice a little oil in the intake manifold. What would cause it to get all the way up there?
Pull the rocker covers off and roll the engine by hand, watch for the intake valve closing and then clean that runner, suck out the **** and move on. A little bit going in to the cylinder wont hurt But I wouldn't want all the carb cleaner washing every thing down the drain. You are getting oil in the intake from the pcv system. A catch can is just that a can that is inline with pcv to catch the **** before the vacume from the intake pulls it in. Is this engine in a car yet ?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Launching!

The engine won't be in the car till a month or two. I am still needing a t56 tranny for my v6 to v8.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

If its out of the car I would pull the heads and give them and the pisons a good cleaning. It would only set you back about $100 bucks for bolts and gaskets. Also the peace of mind of having new head gaskets is worth it to me. Just my $ .02.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Launching!

How could you really clean the pistons. I assume with the heads you can drown them in carb/chocke cleaner and scrub em clean. Would I just spray the deck with one piston at top dead center and go to town on that cylinder and part of the deck? Would it be worth getting ARP head bolts? or stockers would be just fine. I am only wanting to do cam and possible heads later on down the road. Maybe around 460rwhp. Does it matter what brand head gasket? Also what thickness gasket to get?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you wanna do heads down the road, if you pulled them to clean the pistons I would just use stock replacement gaskets and an ARP head bolt kit b/c the stock bolts cant be re-used.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Ok why can the stock head bolts not be reused/ I am wanting to replace the headgasket but I don't want to buy bolts that cost $150. Whats wrong with the stock bolts being reused. Also how would I go about cleaning the pistons like conan said?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after you get it back together get some Seafoam and pour it through the intake while it's running. It will smoke like hell but it will get is clean.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

the bolts are torque to yield so they stretch too much after being used
Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Ok why can the stock head bolts not be reused/ I am wanting to replace the headgasket but I don't want to buy bolts that cost $150. Whats wrong with the stock bolts being reused. Also how would I go about cleaning the pistons like conan said?
Factory bolts are torque to yield, they stretch as part of the torquing process and are unable to be reused because of this. ARP Studs don't have this problem and can be reused when you eventually do heads and a cam.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conan
If its out of the car I would pull the heads and give them and the pisons a good cleaning. It would only set you back about $100 bucks for bolts and gaskets. Also the peace of mind of having new head gaskets is worth it to me. Just my $ .02.
Pull the heads just to clean the pistons? Damn! you're kidding right?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
Pull the heads just to clean the pistons? Damn! you're kidding right?
Well, the poster was concerned about cleaning the heads without getting debris in the engine itself. The method of pulling heads would alleviate that issue as well as give him an opportunity to clean and check the pistons.

Not to mention, if he did get taken on the motor as he suggested could be possible I would want to double check everything, clean all I could and replace gaskets as a precaution.

That is me though.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Launching!

That's what I'm thinking funkster. I wish I could find some bolts for less than $150. That's insane for some bolts! How would you clean the pistons though?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would spend the money on some damn sea foam instead of buying new head bolts and gaskets just to clean the damn pistons.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

That's what I'm thinking funkster. I wish I could find some bolts for less than $150. That's insane for some bolts! How would you clean the pistons though?
A good amount of options.

You could use a gasket removing disc sold by 3M.
Scrape off with a razor blade slowly and carefully.
Put Seafoam/Brake Parts Cleaner on a rag and wipe off.

Just make sure if there is any large debris it is vacuumed off. Also make sure you change the oil after this process. I assume that is a given since you said that was an engine on a stand but figured I would mention it.

*Edit* Ironically there is a thread about this a few down from this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...y-pistons.html

Last edited by Funkster; 06-15-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added link