Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsa with added degree ground in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lsa with added degree ground in?

what does it mean if you have a cam with a certain lsa and then you have advanced ground into it? what is the purpose of this and how does it help? ive been doing some googling and what not but havent come up with much...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advance ground in will bring torque in sooner. It also affects the intake centerline (ICL). For instance my cam is on a 111LSA +2* advance ground in so the ICL is 109. Advance also affects PTV. The more advance the closer PTV on the intake side but adds more room on the exhaust side.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically from how I understand it, is that if you have a cam thats a 114+4 LSA than since its already advanced 4*, than it makes it act like its on a 110 LSA (114-4=110).

Im more old school, im used to running cams that dont have any advance ground into them, when you buy it its on a 108 LSA and thats F'n it. If you wanna advance or retard it then you better buy an adjustable timing set lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Basically from how I understand it, is that if you have a cam thats a 114+4 LSA than since its already advanced 4*, than it makes it act like its on a 110 LSA (114-4=110).

Im more old school, im used to running cams that dont have any advance ground into them, when you buy it its on a 108 LSA and thats F'n it. If you wanna advance or retard it then you better buy an adjustable timing set lol.
LSA is Lobe seperation angle, that is the amount that the lobes are split apart from one another, advance or retard moves the whole cam as you already stated you do that with the adjustable set so you've got that part, but when you advance or retard it it does nothing to the LSA becuase you are not changing the lobe location in relation to each other on the camshaft you are just changing the position of the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft.

The rest of it gets really complicated. Lower/Narrower LSA's cause more overlap that causes a choppy idle and increases scavenging, but it can cause a shorter "power band" or RPM range of increased power than a wide LSA ( higher number LSA ). But increased duration also effects overlap along with LSA so you get a combined effect between the two

I think there is a sticky at the top of this forum that describes the in's and out's of cam specs.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

This is at the top of this forum the link is called "cam guide" get some coffee and a comfortable spot its a lot to read.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Advance also affects PTV. The more advance the closer PTV on the intake side but adds more room on the exhaust side.
That's basically it, but keep in mind it's the ICL not the advance that determines that valve event. A 115LSA+4 and a 110LSA+4 (same advance) have quite different valve events and therein piston to valve clearance.

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
It's more in the lime-light now....but cam companies have been grinding in advance to their camshafts for lots 'o' years! Even the "old school" SBC camshafts have been ground with advance/retard in them for decades!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

ok i understand alittle better. im getting a 113+3 so it should act like a 110?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
No. It should act like a 113, but the torque curve should be shifted slightly earlier in the RPM range.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

oh ok cool.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
No not at all whatsoever. If that were the case it would just be 110 LSA cam and the +3 would be a non factor and would not be listed. What you are describing is a cam that has 113 degrees of seperation between the intake and exhaust lobes, the +3 means that both of those lobes have been ground to where they lift and close the valves 3 degrees in rotation earlier than they would if there were no advance ground in.

A 110 will act like a 110 and a 113 will act like a 113 it does not depend on the +3 which is the advance in this case since it is a +, + signifies advance where 0 would indicate no advance or retard in cam timing and a -would indicate retard in cam timing. Advance makes the valve events happen earlier than if there were none, and retard makes the valve events happen later than if there were none. Valve events meaning at which point the valve opens and then closes during the rotation of the cam. So with advance the intake will open earlier than with no advance and it will close earlier, same with the exhaust. The lobes do not move in relation to each other/do not change angles in relation to each other (LSA) based on advance or retard. Which is what you are thinking based on your statement that it would act like a 110.

The 113 is the Lobe Seperation Angle, the +3 is the ground in advance.

You can advance or retard the cam timing with an adjustable timing gear set or by having a cam cut with either advance, retard, or niether in which it would be labeled as a - for retard, +0 for neither and + for advance, and it does NOT have ANY effect whatsoever on the LSA... They are not related in a way that you are relating them, really they are not related at all. LSA describes the amount of degrees of seperation between the lobe centers of the intake and exhaust lobes, the +3 is 3 degrees advance. The advance or retard will effect mostly the RPM range in which the power curve is most noticeable, the LSA will affect pretty much everything but its not as simple as just taking those two numbers and making a simple calculation and seeing a specific result.

Please read the link I posted and you will have a much greater understanding. I hope that whole novel I wrote didn't come off as being harsh, I have had plenty of beer so I hope it all makes sense and I didn't repeat anything but in all seriousness the link I posted will really help you. Cams are very very complicated.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 06-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 113+3 cam, in plain terms I can tell you what this will mean for your basic engine characteristics, just from experience, I'm not a cam whiz lol

A cam like that depending on size isn't going to have a very choppy idle, mine is a 232/234 .595/.598 on a 113+3 (torquer v2/XER281HR). In my LQ4 it idled fairly smooth at 950rpm with just a hint of that "cammed" sound.

Off idle torque is incredible, it's hard to keep the tires from spinning unless you are very careful, and if you have more compression than me (greater than 8.7:1-9:1) you will notice a very responsive and torque rich low end. However it doesn't really "pull" hard until about 3k rpm.

The cam isn't my favorite, and it doesn't have a "lopey" sound, but it is pretty different, I haven't heard another motor that sounds the same.

What cam are you going with exactly?

Quick Reply: lsa with added degree ground in?