Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my H/C/I combo correct for my RWHP #'s? *Pic of DYNO Graph & Mod list included*

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is my H/C/I combo correct for my RWHP #'s? *Pic of DYNO Graph & Mod list included*

I just wanted to see what some more experienced people thought about my Heads, Cam, Intake, stall, gear combination. From what I've read, good track times come from all parts working together.

So I'm wondering if my current setup is OK? Could it be improved by cam sawp or other ways?

Do I need bigger injectors?

Does my DYNO sheet seem correct for my setup? Is my shift point set correctly or is too high for my power curve?

My current mods are as follows: (1998 Trans Am A4)

-Lid
-Port and Polished LS1 Throttle body
-LS6 Intake

-PRC 2.5 heads (5.3L) ---> http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=40

-TSP Torquer V.3 Cam 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA
-UD Pulley
-Stage 2 tranny rebuild by ARD
-Circle D 3200 Stall converter
-3.73 gear
-Pacesetter Long tube headers
-ORY and LM1 catback (Now have TSP True Duals)
-EGR/AIR delete
-Suspension by UMI
-Tune on DYNOJET by Futral Motorsports

*Shift point set at 6700rpms*

DYNO:

I'm getting a FAST 102 combo soon.

One last thing...what does the: CF SAE Smoothing:5 mean at the top right of my dyno chart?

Thank you.

Last edited by VenomTA; 06-16-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no air/fuel ratio chart with this sheet?

It seems to me it should make a bit more power than that, and you have a tighter stall than most would like to see with a cam like that.

Is this with a stock headgasket giving you about 10.75:1 compression?

I have no clue what the CF SAE Smoothing **** is.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Teching In

No, I found that weird that I didn't get a printout with the A/F ratio....I can post up the original DYNO sheet from the previous owner. The ARD DYNO has the curves all over the place and the car was bucking and idle killing....that's why I took it somewhere else to fix all that stuff and smooth it out. The heads were on the car when I bought it, so I'm not sure of the Compression Ratio.

Original DYNO graph w/ a crap tune:

What type of stall would you suggest?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your 60' time will improve with more stall.....

Seems about right to me. I had those same heads with a 230/234 cam, 90/90, 3.23's and a SS3600 and made 417/383 on a DJ.....

The smoothing just takes out the little humps in your graph and just makes a more linear appearing graph....
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for clarify the smoothing. So wouldn't that cover up weak spots (on the sheet)thoughout the power range? Would I really get to know how the engine is acting then?

I was considering a bigger stall also, along with the FAST 102 combo.

I know I'm not suppossed to be chasing HP #'s, but I just keep seeing setups with so much more power with similar cobinations.

Do I need bigger injectors? Should my shift point be lower, so I can catch the next gear quicker?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever was tuning the car shouldve looked at the duty cycle of the injectors and would be able to judge from that if they are the proper size or not.

That "smoothing" seems to be some bullshit to me.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you run the car at the track yet? Automatics are not dyno queens and are sporadic on the dyno at best. For automatic cars the track will really let you know what kind of power you are putting down.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Teching In

No, I am planning a trip to the track in about 2 weeks, it's hard to find time off of work in order to get there. It's about 2hrs away.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with the above post. I thought I would have made more power with my setup. Stock bottom end 3600lb Z28 H/C/I high stalled A4 with a 4.11 rear gear made 447rwhp and 403rwtrq but went 10.90@123mph with a 1.46 60ft. I would def. get the fast, the LS6 intake is gonna be your bottle neck. Once you get that installed take it back to Allan and let him retune it. Allan built my current motor and also tuned it. Listen to any advice he may be giving you. The man knows his ****!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Also agree with the take it to the track suggestion...

See my dyno and track times. I'm wondering what a FAST 90/92 would do for me? Also looking for my second visit to the track now that my shift points are set right!

Was your dyno run done with verter locked?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

I would've liked to ask him more, and he def. helped stop the idiling and bogging issues....but it sort of seemed like I was rushed. He was very busy and had some people show up without appointments that said they pretty much "needed help now" with programming and such. (I think the was actually frustrated with having to stop what he was doing to have to go mess with their stuff) I'm not knocking his work by any means, but it seemed like I would be bothering him if I asked a bunch of questions...I was happy with the fact that my car was finally operating properly.

I'm going to have to make the trip back (2hrs 15 mins from where I live) when I get the FAST combo and have him do another tune when I get some time off of work. Hopefully I'll get as graph showing A/F ratio.

I would like to know if I need bigger injectors before I go to get the tune though. Could it hurt anything? Am I close to needing them?

ODARABLA: Your numbers vs. ET does lend me to have some more hope for my car, thanks. It's just hard to get my HP # number out of my head considering I've seen so many other setups, similar to mine, produce better #s.

Thank you all for the input so far; wouldn't mind for more people to chime in also.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SAPS
Also agree with the take it to the track suggestion...

See my dyno and track times. I'm wondering what a FAST 90/92 would do for me? Also looking for my second visit to the track now that my shift points are set right!

Was your dyno run done with verter locked?

Allan (tuner/owner) said it was locked.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya that seems low if the stall was locked
Old 06-16-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyno #'s don't always mean much. On my old 417rwhp setup I was beaten by a 400rwhp F-14 cam only car from a dig but put a fender on a 450rwhp cobra from a 55-130 roll which greatly favored him sinc I am A4.....
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have those same heads with a 232/238 cam and fast 90/90..when I had 323 gears and a 3500stall I put down 435rwhp..Added a circle d 42-4400 stall and 373 gears(which eats dyno numbers) and now put down 426rwp 400rwt...Not the greatest dyno number I know..

Anyways my friend has an o3 pullied cobra full bolt ons and put down somewhere around the 455-460ish rwhp mark..Anyway we raced from a 20 roll(his advantge) I spun and my *** end ended up in a slight ditch..He was a couple cars ahead..Well I got back on the road gained traction,and passed him..Now according to him he gave up after I put 5 cars on him..He asked me to pop my hood to see if I was spraying..

point is that Ive learned yes dyno numbers gives you an idea of what a new mod has done but it does not mean everything in a race..So run it and see what happens
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VenomTA
I would've liked to ask him more, and he def. helped stop the idiling and bogging issues....but it sort of seemed like I was rushed. He was very busy and had some people show up without appointments that said they pretty much "needed help now" with programming and such. (I think the was actually frustrated with having to stop what he was doing to have to go mess with their stuff) I'm not knocking his work by any means, but it seemed like I would be bothering him if I asked a bunch of questions...I was happy with the fact that my car was finally operating properly.

I'm going to have to make the trip back (2hrs 15 mins from where I live) when I get the FAST combo and have him do another tune when I get some time off of work. Hopefully I'll get as graph showing A/F ratio.

I would like to know if I need bigger injectors before I go to get the tune though. Could it hurt anything? Am I close to needing them?

ODARABLA: Your numbers vs. ET does lend me to have some more hope for my car, thanks. It's just hard to get my HP # number out of my head considering I've seen so many other setups, similar to mine, produce better #s.

Thank you all for the input so far; wouldn't mind for more people to chime in also.

Yea Allan can get that way some times but if he tuned it then it is right. I didn't see what injectors you have now. If you are still running the stock injectors then I will say yes, you need bigger injectors. I would suggest going with the Red tops. SVT 32lbs ford injectors. Thats what I have and they work great. Also start looking at the racetronics fuel pump setup with the harness. I would also recommend that for your car. I picked up 23rwhp just by adding this fuel kit on my car. Not really sure how but it made that much more power. Where do you live at? I live in Destrehan, LA and I can get to Allans shop in about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odarabla
Yea Allan can get that way some times but if he tuned it then it is right. I didn't see what injectors you have now. If you are still running the stock injectors then I will say yes, you need bigger injectors. I would suggest going with the Red tops. SVT 32lbs ford injectors. Thats what I have and they work great. Also start looking at the racetronics fuel pump setup with the harness. I would also recommend that for your car. I picked up 23rwhp just by adding this fuel kit on my car. Not really sure how but it made that much more power. Where do you live at? I live in Destrehan, LA and I can get to Allans shop in about 1 1/2 hours.

I live 25 minutes south of New Orleans. Yeah, the stock injectors are on there as far as I know. I don't know much about injectors, that's why I haven't messed with that yet. You mention replacing the fuel pump...from what I read you have to cut into the body of the car o make a "hatch door" to replace the pump, correct?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To those who have replied about dyno #'s: I do understand that I should't be chasing a number, but I'm comparing Trans Ams with almost the same mods on the same type of dyno.

Example: I understand that a 500RWHP Mustang will dyno different and shouldn't be worried about their power numbers. The thing that worries me is that we're comparing Trans Ams with the same setups on the same dynos...so in a sense I would believe these numbers to come up almost identical and perform the same. If you take two Trans Am with the same exact mods on the same dyno, shouldn't they only have a small margin of era for dyno numbers? Not 50 RWHP difference, right?

Thanks everyone for the replies; keep em' coming.

Last edited by VenomTA; 06-17-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VenomTA
I live 25 minutes south of New Orleans. Yeah, the stock injectors are on there as far as I know. I don't know much about injectors, that's why I haven't messed with that yet. You mention replacing the fuel pump...from what I read you have to cut into the body of the car o make a "hatch door" to replace the pump, correct?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To those who have replied about dyno #'s: I do understand that I should't be chasing a number, but I'm comparing Trans Ams with almost the same mods on the same type of dyno.

Example: I understand that a 500RWHP Mustang will dyno different and shouldn't be worried about their power numbers. The thing that worries me is that we're comparing Trans Ams with the same setups on the same dynos...so in a sense I would believe these numbers to come up almost identical and perform the same. If you take two Trans Am with the same exact mods on the same dyno, shouldn't they only have a small margin of era for dyno numbers? Not 50 RWHP difference, right?

Thanks everyone for the replies; keep em' coming.

I didn't cut a hole in my car. I dropped the tank and installed it. Total job took me about 4 hours.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Ok, well that sounds like a better idea to me, haha.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Teching In