Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milled 243's; need advice on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milled 243's; need advice on what to do

I recently purchased a set of 243's milled to 60cc and ill be going with a custom spec'd cam, 3600 stall and all the other necessary parts for the install. I won't
be doing the install myself since it's my DD and i don't want to have it down for a long time so I'll be taking it to a shop that deals with f-body's but i know the
price of the install will be pretty high so I'm thinking of installing the heads myself after i get them ported and a valve job to save on the cost of install.

If i do install the heads am i going to need a tune right afterward?
Will the car still drive fine and will I feel a power difference if i don't get a tune even with the stock cam?
Or should i just wait and dish out the cash to the shop?
Any advice appreciated!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes you are going to need a tune immediately and if I where you I'd wait. Most shops will give you some type of warranty you go putting those heads on yourself and something happens I am sure you are going to be on your own if something happens that gives them the excuse to say this is on you. Just my .02
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

yeah thats true. Thanks!
anybody else? any more advice?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

if you feel confident doing the heads yourself and setting up your valvetrain and everything else that goes along with it then i say go for it. if you dont feel you can do it i would save the cash up and take it to a shop. it would suck to have it half tore apart then having to have it towed to a shop so they can complete your job. try and find a friend that has done it before to help you out.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you feel confident with the install I don't see any issue with doing this. I would mosey over to LS1howto.com to make sure you get all the details for the install. You will need a tune for the heads, but you can still drive the car without it on there. Just be easy on it until you do get it tuned for peace of mind.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Just make sure your PTV is within liveable clearance and your geometry is set up correctly.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped over to stock 243's without a problem myself... but with the milled ones you're gona have to do a bit more work. Swapping the heads on will be the same work, but just be sure to get the right push rods and what not. The head swap itself is pretty easy though...
Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what injectors do you have now,stock are good up to 400 rwhp?depending on the cam you mite need bigger injectors and a tune.it dose not take too big of cam to make 400hp with good heads.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

i have stock injectors right now and ill be contacting geoff for an EPS custom cam
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest doing the heads yourself. im a 19 year old that has only been working on cars since i got mine when i was 17. me and my dad did a h/c swap without any issues, and neither of us has ever gone into an engine before. if you go to ls1howto.com they have step by step instructions on how to do it.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
If you feel confident with the install I don't see any issue with doing this. I would mosey over to LS1howto.com to make sure you get all the details for the install. You will need a tune for the heads, but you can still drive the car without it on there. Just be easy on it until you do get it tuned for peace of mind.
Do it yourself!! Its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Save the money from the DIY and get a tune and your set.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

i feel confident i can do the heads since i have already pulled my driver side head when the last bolt on the intake manifold broke off into the head. I'll check for correct PR length since they are milled and i may as well replace the lifters but where are the lifters exactly located? Can i see them when i remove the head?