Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 car with MS3 cam...lacking power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car will only spin the tires if I drop the clutch...and even then it's not that much. Don't get me wrong, I like having traction but I want to have it for the right reasons. Not because the car is a turd.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stereotypicalv8guy
The car will only spin the tires if I drop the clutch...and even then it's not that much. Don't get me wrong, I like having traction but I want to have it for the right reasons. Not because the car is a turd.
You need to go to the track and see what it runs, 1/4 mile AND TRAP speed is important. Then get a dyno and see what it puts down before anything is said. Everyone listed your main problems, go run it at the track and then decide.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

I'll try to do that this weekend. It's going to be 1/8 mile though...if I don't see a trap speed of at least 90MPH then I'll know for sure something is wrong.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What are you basing your assesment on with not being able to spin the tires? Have you had other f-bodies with similar mods and had the car feel faster? Again, we're talking about 'feeling' and the ability to spin the tires isn't a measurement of anything other than a lack of traction.

Are you even sure it has that cam in it? The seller wouldn't be the first seller to lie about a car to make a sale.

Again, stop using your butt-o-meter as a judge of power.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

So when is the track session?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm wrong in assuming that this car should be able to spin the tires? Or that the video I posted was sluggish? I feel like how fast the speedometer climbs is a pretty good judge. My previous f-body was a nitrous auto car so yes I can't really compare but even without the spray that car felt like it pulled better than my current one and all it had were LT headers. I'm not 100% sure but it certainly has the lope of something in the range of an MS3 and he included the cam card with the car so I think it's safe to say that it's an MS3.

Track session should be coming on Saturday.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ms3 with a 3600 stall with stock rear and gears will go everywhere when i just ease into it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Like what was stated earlier, a big cam, with a stock rear gear translates into a very very sluggish car until you hit 4000+ rpm. I'd guess that if you were to dyno, you'd probably put down 380-390 hp and 350-360 torque, but your torque peak wouldn't be until 4600-4900 rpm.

Comparing a stick to an auto is apples vs. carrotts. I've got full heads, cam, headers, 3.73s, etc etc and put down easily over 475 rwhp and if I roll into second gear I can get traction through second, into third and into fourth. Does that mean that my car is slow, or underpowered? No, it just means I have a linear torque curve that isn't exceeding the friction coefficient of the tire to the road. What breaks tires lose typically is shocking the drivetrain with either too much torque or a sudden change in torque.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
Not from a roll you can't. I'm sure he can spin the tires very easily if he just dumps the clutch, but I think hes trying to say from a roll it isnt spinning at all.
I know what he was saying. What I was getting at is that spinning the tires is a terrible way of measuring power. BTW, $20 says I can spin them in the Focus from a roll. Its not hard in a 5spd with a clutch dump. 150hp whooaaaa watch out! Point being it doesnt take tons of pwoer to spin them. Care to take that bet? Ill get it on video...

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Like what was stated earlier, a big cam, with a stock rear gear translates into a very very sluggish car until you hit 4000+ rpm. I'd guess that if you were to dyno, you'd probably put down 380-390 hp and 350-360 torque, but your torque peak wouldn't be until 4600-4900 rpm.

Comparing a stick to an auto is apples vs. carrotts. I've got full heads, cam, headers, 3.73s, etc etc and put down easily over 475 rwhp and if I roll into second gear I can get traction through second, into third and into fourth. Does that mean that my car is slow, or underpowered? No, it just means I have a linear torque curve that isn't exceeding the friction coefficient of the tire to the road. What breaks tires lose typically is shocking the drivetrain with either too much torque or a sudden change in torque.
Just stick to alchemist's advice, hes dead on. I do feel a session data logging will show you where you are at, and a day at the track would be helpful as well. Dont bother with ET though since you dont wanna break ****, just make sure your trap is close to where it should be.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

When I say from a roll I mean from a roll without clutch dump lol. And yes I will take that $20 because my friend tries to do it all the time in his focus as a joke. Hell my acura rsx type s doesn't do it and that has 200hp. Being wet out and making a turn doesn't count,

I mean in a straight line, rolling from 10 20mph, and slamming the gas only if you spin to leave marks on the road. My trans am DOES do that, a focus DOES NOT do that. The kid may be vague in saying hes trying to judge the power by if the tires spin but he has a point, that video does look sluggish but we can't know for sure cause the rev limit is set at what that cam would be making the power at! Not to mention he has nothing supporting a cam that size
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

fccs, you're able to spin the tires because you have 4.10s. V8guy has 3.42s, big difference.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I'll have some track times for you this weekend. Can we agree that the car should trap at least 90MPH?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I'll have some track times for you this weekend. Can we agree that the car should trap at least 90MPH?
Depends on how well you can row gears, but I'm guessing you should be able to hit 90mph in second gear with 3.42s. But your rev limiter to 6800 to go through the traps in second.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a pretty decent driver so I doubt that the shifting will be an issue. I guess we'll see what the car has in it. I have a feeling it's going to disappoint though.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ms3 and 918? I say that maybe the problem or plugs. Check all that stuff even the o2s on the car. Is your engine light on?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That ms3 cam needs also an open exhaust
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the MS3, you needs, 4.10's, cutout, good clutch, and i rev mine to 6700-6800. spinning is losing btw. if you want to spin the tires rev it up and let loose.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

I have the MS4, not much different. I started with stock rear and stock clutch. It seemed like a dog, Put gears and a clutch, big difference. Youll burn that clutch up with the stock 3:42s. You have to slip it soo much to get it to move in low gear,(lack of power down low with big cams) its only a matter of time..Bump that limiter to 68-7000.

I would get rid of those Comp Cam Springs like EVERYONE has said. I wouldnt run the dog **** out of it until I swapped springs...
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
fccs, you're able to spin the tires because you have 4.10s. V8guy has 3.42s, big difference.
True now its a joke I spin so much, but even before when I had 3.42s I could still spin it from a roll.

And to your question v8guy, yes you should hit 90mph but the other problem comes to where your limiter is only 6000. I would say a high 80 would be more reasonable cause nothing on your car is setup right for that cam. You REALLY should look into some 4.10's for that cam, and a clutch that can hold the power with ease. I think your car is a dog now but it's mainly because it just has a donkey dick cam slapped in it with nothing supporting it. The previous owner basically did the bare minimum it seems just to say the car has a cam.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
When I say from a roll I mean from a roll without clutch dump lol. And yes I will take that $20 because my friend tries to do it all the time in his focus as a joke. Hell my acura rsx type s doesn't do it and that has 200hp. Being wet out and making a turn doesn't count,

I mean in a straight line, rolling from 10 20mph, and slamming the gas only if you spin to leave marks on the road. My trans am DOES do that, a focus DOES NOT do that. The kid may be vague in saying hes trying to judge the power by if the tires spin but he has a point, that video does look sluggish but we can't know for sure cause the rev limit is set at what that cam would be making the power at! Not to mention he has nothing supporting a cam that size
Hey, my bet was that I could do it while rolling, clutch dump or not . That was the whole point, you said it couldnt be done (didnt specify how). No way in hell it spins them just rolling on a dry road.

Adjust the rev limiter to a higher rpm, which is where your cam shines. A set of heads and gears would really wake it up too.

Quick Reply: M6 car with MS3 cam...lacking power?