Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshafts choosing for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshafts choosing for dummies

I know different set-ups calls for different camshaft and that is not what I'm after. I am just trying to educate myself on the art of choosing the correct camshaft for my set-up now and future engine builds. I don't want to have to depend on others to pick a cam for me. So can some of you more knowledgeable guys explains in the ins and out of a camshaft. This should include info such as: lsa, intake duration, exhaust duration, reverse duration, cam lobes, ramp rates, and much more. This is cam choosing for dummies so every bit of info is appreciated. I did a search for this but could not find all the info so please help..
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

STICKY:https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You (op) did not look very hard......the cam guide is a sticky located in the gen 3 internal engine section that you just posted in...check it out it is very informative and should answer all your questions about cam selection. It even has pictures.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Default .

Originally Posted by camz28arro
This is what I need. I had been putting this is search for a couple of days but this never came up. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chapter 1: call a sponsor for a custom grind.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

the search function on this site is pretty terrible...it comes up with some off the wall **** to say the least
Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are just starting to learn about cams and valve events BY FAR the best advice I can give you is have an expert spec your cam.....

I would (and did) fill out this form and have Geoff spec you one>>>>> http://www.engpwrsys.com/images/File...ld%20sheet.pdf
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of greath camshaft articles in Chevy High performance / Hot Rod magazine, engine building books, summits website, comp cams website and the sticky's here. Engine building books are a great source.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Default ..

I am really trying to learn as much as I can about cams. I don't just want to call a sponsor and not have any idea what I'm talking about. People tend to take advantage of you when you don't know much and is 100% dependant on them to make a decision for you. That's just my opinion. I'm gaining a lot of knowledge just by reading the l92 threads.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowc5
I am really trying to learn as much as I can about cams. I don't just want to call a sponsor and not have any idea what I'm talking about. People tend to take advantage of you when you don't know much and is 100% dependant on them to make a decision for you. That's just my opinion. I'm gaining a lot of knowledge just by reading the l92 threads.
Do a search for "camshaft discussion". There's a few really good technical threads you can learn from.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Cams and camshaft operation is actually very complicated. There is nothing wrong with having someone choose it for you based on what you tell them you want. I could help anyone choose a camshaft, however, when buying a new cam for my car yesterday, I took the advice and bought one that was suggested by a senior member on here that so far only one person on this site runs. And I didnt buy it from him or anyone he knew so he didn't benefit monetarily at all. Talk about going out on a limb Nothing wrong with trusting people.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a good book out by David Vizard and he walks you through the cam design and then effects of different design aspects. His book is geared towards a small block but the theory doesn't change. Nice book.

He also has numerous articles out, here is an example: Be the Cam Expert by David Vizard
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
There is a good book out by David Vizard and he walks you through the cam design and then effects of different design aspects. His book is geared towards a small block but the theory doesn't change. Nice book.

He also has numerous articles out, here is an example: Be the Cam Expert by David Vizard
Thanks..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

just remember go big or go home.... haha
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the biggest cam dose not make the fastest car.you will see the EPS cam making the same power with less duration.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowc5
The old saw, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." applies to cam selection at least as much as it applies to treating illnesses. Good cam guys don't always welcome the call/email from someone who thinks they know more than they really do. If the potential customer admits he/she has very little knowledge and wants the best cam for the particular combination it simplifies the cam guy's work. He doesn't have to try to re-educate the customer. It's so frustrating sometimes that the cam guy will write such a customer off. It's just not worth the grief.

Generally, the more intelligent/smarter the customer, the more they realize they don't really know much about choosing cams and they leave it to the pro. Interestingly, they most often end up with the performance they wanted.

It is VERY easy for a cam guy to figure out how much you know, or don't know, in just a few minutes...sometimes just a few seconds. Of course, that applies to almost any subject that one might be an expert on.

If you are concerned about being taken advantage of because of lack of knowledge, you are choosing the wrong cam guy. Actually the most difficult task you face is finding the right person, whether you know anything about cams or not. I'd spend my time doing that rather than doing a cram course on a very complex subject.

BTW, the "cam knowledge" gained from reading these boards is not necessarily correct. Some of it is horribly wrong. How does the neophyte know?

"Cam selection for Dummies" is as short a book as "Brainsurgery for Dummies." In fact, the text is identical: "Let the experienced professional do it for you." It's worded differently in those books: "Don't try this at home!"

My $.02

Jon

PS, I'm not a "cam guy".

Quick Reply: Camshafts choosing for dummies