Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how good is the IWIS timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default how good is the IWIS timing chain

my short block has 10,000 miles on it ,can I buy a IWIS chain and use the stock crank and cam gears?the chain cost $50 at the ws6 store,any better ideas ?

Last edited by garygnu; 09-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The $50 IWIS (JWIS) chain is the bottom end JWIS chain and you may actually be better off with the LS2 chain. The JWIS chain you want is the Katech version, which is the G68V-2 3/8" chain and it top of the line. This chains is used on the M V10 BMW (different length). This chain is around $140 new. Just for information, JWIS makes several 3/8" chains of varying quality so the name itself is not an indication that it is their best chain.

Buyer beware!!!!

You can run the Katech version on stock sprockets.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 10,000 miles on it i dont see any problems as long as your gears also have only 10,000 miles on them , i believe sdpc sells them so see what they have to say, Eric
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The $50 IWIS (JWIS) chain is the bottom end JWIS chain and you may actually be better off with the LS2 chain. The JWIS chain you want is the Katech version, which is the G68V-2 3/8" chain and it top of the line. This chains is used on the M V10 BMW (different length).
At that price wouldn't a dbl roller be better?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

The $50 IWIS (JWIS) chain is the bottom end JWIS chain and you may actually be better off with the LS2 chain. The JWIS chain you want is the Katech version, which is the G68V-2 3/8" chain and it top of the line. This chains is used on the M V10 BMW (different length). This chain is around $140 new. Just for information, JWIS makes several 3/8" chains of varying quality so the name itself is not an indication that it is their best chain.

Buyer beware!!!!

Nice to know, can you get this chain as a complete kit with gears or is it chain only because i dont want to run a double , is it safe to run the chain only without a gear swap if i already have about 40k miles , thanks Eric
Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The C5R chain is now available from Cloyes as an upgrade to their complete Hex-adjust sets. Also, the best single chain ever made for the LS1 is the IRL chain, and the only place you can get these is from SDPC who bought out all of Cloyes remaining stock last year. This was the Indy Racing League chain that is shot peened, blue printed and hand assembled. SDPC will mate this to a new Cloyes Hex-adjust set if you want.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info , glad we can get it at sdpc, have an LS1 longblock that is used that i picked up cheap and i am looking to rebuild it with the asa cam so i have some stuff to buy at sdpc anyways , i want to do a complete over haul do you think it is worth changing the piston rings and i have no idea how many miles on it , going to take it apart at the end of september and inspect it , Eric
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboS10
At that price wouldn't a dbl roller be better?
If one is good then two must be twice as good right? The C5-R chain has never broken in all of endurance racing and durability testing. A good single chain is better than a cheap double roller. If you break a C5-R chain you have other problems. I've seen several ASP underdrive pulleys cause chain failures for example.

The C5R chain is now available from Cloyes as an upgrade to their complete Hex-adjust sets. Also, the best single chain ever made for the LS1 is the IRL chain, and the only place you can get these is from SDPC who bought out all of Cloyes remaining stock last year. This was the Indy Racing League chain that is shot peened, blue printed and hand assembled. SDPC will mate this to a new Cloyes Hex-adjust set if you want.
Cloyes does not sell the Katech C5-R chain. Maybe they sell the IWIS aftermarket chain. You can only buy the C5-R race chain from Katech or it's dealers.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do have very IRL few chains left and some timing sets. About 4 LS2s and 3 LS7s and maybe 2 individual chains. Then they are all gone. For probably quite some time.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Katech
Cloyes does not sell the Katech C5-R chain. Maybe they sell the IWIS aftermarket chain. You can only buy the C5-R race chain from Katech or it's dealers.
Please see this link, third bullet down from the top of the page. Cloyes C5R Chain If this is not the case, then their advertisement if very misleading.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Please see this link, third bullet down from the top of the page. Cloyes C5R Chain If this is not the case, then their advertisement if very misleading.
Somebody has to make it......I doubt Katech does!

Originally Posted by Katech
If one is good then two must be twice as good right?
I'll dismiss the perceived condescending tone to the fact that I'm tired.
But it doesn't help sales.......
I did not say what price the dbl was. You for some odd reason assumed I was cheap. Maybe it's the S10 in the sig. - They do 10's on street tires- (AWD)

2 link plates of 50k steel with one roller pin or 3 link plates of 35k steel on two pins of the same size as the single. You do the math - That's why I asked. Feel free to include load calc's in your reply. It's been forever since I did them and I'd need to look them up.

You might also note the 80mm turbo and Iron 347 in my sig. That would mean some rpm since it's a little motor big turbo and it doesn't have a tensioner/guide like C5R does. -Another reason I asked-

You might also note that it was common practice to run a pos stock chain plastic gear on gen1 drag race motors and simply replace it during routine tear downs.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

As far as I know, the C5R chain uses JWIS G68V-2 3/8" chain, which your or I can buy in bulk. The length is determined by the number of links. Same chain is used in high end BMW's and other cars. At what point does the same base chain become "C5R" chain, I don't know.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Interesting. They're not buying it from us.

I'll dismiss the perceived condescending tone to the fact that I'm tired.
But it doesn't help sales.......
I did not say what price the dbl was. You for some odd reason assumed I was cheap. Maybe it's the S10 in the sig. - They do 10's on street tires- (AWD)

2 link plates of 50k steel with one roller pin or 3 link plates of 35k steel on two pins of the same size as the single. You do the math - That's why I asked. Feel free to include load calc's in your reply. It's been forever since I did them and I'd need to look them up.

You might also note the 80mm turbo and Iron 347 in my sig. That would mean some rpm since it's a little motor big turbo and it doesn't have a tensioner/guide like C5R does. -Another reason I asked-

You might also note that it was common practice to run a pos stock chain plastic gear on gen1 drag race motors and simply replace it during routine tear downs.
I wasn't being condescending, just making a point.

As far as I know, the C5R chain uses JWIS G68V-2 3/8" chain, which your or I can buy in bulk. The length is determined by the number of links. Same chain is used in high end BMW's and other cars. At what point does the same base chain become "C5R" chain, I don't know.
The C5-R chain has some extra post-manufacturing processes that the standard chain does not.

Quick Reply: how good is the IWIS timing chain