Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
Check the pistons they should have a part number on them if is not what your invoice says take them to court!! also I don't think it was fair that they were telling you that you had to wait 2-3 weeks to work on your car you should be priority F**k you spend a few thousand on them and that is how they dish a customer VegasLSX buuuuuuuu!!
one thing on your post that i don't agree with.... what about the guys car that is in there now? his money is not the same? if that guy got bumped back we would have another thread about how this shop had his car way to long blah blah blah. yes get him in as fast as possible but i don't see the need to **** off more people.... guess thats jsut me.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasLSX
Facts are facts. 11 months of driving. 10.30's @over 135mph. Motor tune on N20. DETONATION. We offered from the begining to fix and work with you on the car. Engines can break. It is part of going fast..

I have all the logs and the tunes of the car if any wants too see them.

Garth
While I can agree that a fairly new build shouldnt smoke, use oil & coolant, IF this guy sprayed it at all without the correct timing pulled for the N20 thats really dumb on his part. But...if the motor wasnt built like he requested, ya know overbuilt to handle a 400 shot then thats a whole different story & I dont blame the guy for being pissed at the shop.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

tell the owners of the cars that are in the shop now what happened to you. i bet they will have room for you then.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is dumb.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brngrhd
one thing on your post that i don't agree with.... what about the guys car that is in there now? his money is not the same? if that guy got bumped back we would have another thread about how this shop had his car way to long blah blah blah. yes get him in as fast as possible but i don't see the need to **** off more people.... guess thats jsut me.
I work as tech on the field if I go to a customer and fix something and he calls me back that there is something wrong I go immediately back!! That is a priority customer he is not happy, imagine if I told them to wait a day or two imagine if that happen to you and you spend 6k on an engine and have to wait weeks!! a shop wouldn't wait 3 weeks for 6k you will be in court in 2 why do you have to wait if they already work on it!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

lolz.....
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

It sounds to me that the shop tried to pull a baite and switch with the OP. Basicaly they sold him on a high dollar part and gave him a cheep look-a-like. The shop probably figured he would never spray more than 150-200 so they gave him the cheeper piston. However if he sprayed a motor with smoking and fluid consuption than well it was not that bright. I also think there was a mis comunication on the tunes. I do agree with the shop a lean condition/detonation would have caused this failure. Still sucks for the OP, maybe you guys can meet in the middle sense the blaim is closer to 60/40. But ultimately in my opinion the shop should have made sure the OP knew about the tune and the pistons.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tvwilkes
how about next time deal with a reputable ls1tech sponsor. Call tsp they will help you out.
lol!!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

If I spent thousands on a new engine that smokes and uses coolant, **** would of hit the fan quickly!! Sorry about your luck bro, but it seems there was some negligence on both sides of the coin. You should of never accepted the new engine with those issues... let alone spray it. The shop should of never let that motor leave the shop until it was right... not to mention they jipped you on parts. All I can say is be very careful who you choose to work on your car next time. I was burned by a local shop years ago, needless to say it won't happen again... and they are no longer in business. Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be fair to both sides, it sounds like there is more to the story. How is anyone on the internet to know the truth? It would be unfair to pick sides, and sounds like a personal problem that needs to be resolved between the OP and the shop. For all we know the car was sprayed on a daily basis until it finally blew up.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
If I spent thousands on a new engine that smokes and uses coolant, **** would of hit the fan quickly!! Sorry about your luck bro, but it seems there was some negligence on both sides of the coin. You should of never accepted the new engine with those issues... let alone spray it. The shop should of never let that motor leave the shop until it was right... not to mention they jipped you on parts. All I can say is be very careful who you choose to work on your car next time. I was burned by a local shop years ago, needless to say it won't happen again... and they are no longer in business. Good luck!!
Agree with you 100%
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom
If you paid for good pistons and rings, and didn't get them take the scum bags to court, its an easy win
Has it been shown or proven cheap pistons were used or are you just talking out of your ***?

If the car smoked and used coolant AND the OP sprayed it I can't say I really feel sorry for him.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
I work as tech on the field if I go to a customer and fix something and he calls me back that there is something wrong I go immediately back!! That is a priority customer he is not happy, imagine if I told them to wait a day or two imagine if that happen to you and you spend 6k on an engine and have to wait weeks!! a shop wouldn't wait 3 weeks for 6k you will be in court in 2 why do you have to wait if they already work on it!!
I too am tech, since i was 17, in a dealership, im now 31..... I agree he should get the car in as soon as possible..... yes i would want them to bring it in asap so i can evaluate whats going on. make a plan on what to do and go from there. thats what should have happened if it was smoking and using coolant from day one. (which we will never know) but if i built a motor 11 months ago and it was fine when it left my shop (if it wasn't i would not send it) now some 11 months later it blows up after nitrous use on an unknow tune and whatever else has happened I'd have a hard time dropping what i have going on to get this in.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brngrhd
I too am tech, since i was 17, in a dealership, im now 31..... I agree he should get the car in as soon as possible..... yes i would want them to bring it in asap so i can evaluate whats going on. make a plan on what to do and go from there. thats what should have happened if it was smoking and using coolant from day one. (which we will never know) but if i built a motor 11 months ago and it was fine when it left my shop (if it wasn't i would not send it) now some 11 months later it blows up after nitrous use on an unknow tune and whatever else has happened I'd have a hard time dropping what i have going on to get this in.
I can understand that. That is why when he told me 2-3 weeks I waited the 3 weeks. At the 21st day of waiting I had to towed to another shop to pull out the short block.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSmoken
tell the owners of the cars that are in the shop now what happened to you. i bet they will have room for you then.
Haha exactly what I was thinking!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

As soon as you knew it was using coolant the car should have been shut off right then and diagnosed/fixed. Sorry to say but openly admitting this is a garanteed lose in any legal matter. The car probably could have been fixed between the 0-7k miles. But you chose to ignore your findings and continue on. Eat your loss and move on. **** breaks all the time. Its the name of the game.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

I have to side on the shop on this one. NOWAY those pistons got beat up like that from normal use......that thing had to have detonation to cause that damage.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Teching In

you had too much timing.... you killed the pistons with NOS... even if they just failed... its still because you sprayed it on a motor tune... thats just asking for trouble.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car was nenver sprayed on the motor tune. Had a seperate N20 tune for the nitrous.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

I had a set of pistons a few years ago that looked like that. The thickness between the bottom of the valve relief and the top of the ring land was so thin....kinda like yours in the pic...looks very thin, like a sheet of paper thin. Mine didnt like nitrous too much either and broke the same way. The valve relief channels the force directly to the weak spot also. Click click boom.

Quick Reply: Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!