Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

most dependable sleeved block

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default most dependable sleeved block

I have a 388 that has dropped sleeves (from an unknown builder). I want to be able to reuse the rotating assembly as it only has 1200 miles on it. Who is doing sleeved blocks that are holding up?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z06Ron
I have a 388 that has dropped sleeves (from an unknown builder). I want to be able to reuse the rotating assembly as it only has 1200 miles on it. Who is doing sleeved blocks that are holding up?
My answer is a bit biased

We give a limmited waranty as well. Ask some of the guys that have been runnig our block (latest as of early 2003) in a poweradder application. No dropped sleeves and almost 1000rwhp. Mid 8's at over 165MPH.

Talk to Mike from rapid as he is a supporting vendor that sells our blocks and has been running one, trying to be politicaly correct
Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
My answer is a bit biased

We give a limmited waranty as well. Ask some of the guys that have been runnig our block (latest as of early 2003) in a poweradder application. No dropped sleeves and almost 1000rwhp. Mid 8's at over 165MPH.

Talk to Mike from rapid as he is a supporting vendor that sells our blocks and has been running one, trying to be politicaly correct
I got a price via email from yall. I am considering it very hard. I am just being
cautious since I got burned once already. I really liked the way the 388 pulled with my cam (224/228, 56?/579 w/1.8s) and worked heads (2.02/1.60). I think with a bigger cam in that engine and I would really be impressed.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Who is the engine builder that will put it back together? More camshaft will really pick the power up with the big bore engine
Old 02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
Who is the engine builder that will put it back together? More camshaft will really pick the power up with the big bore engine
I have a good local builder that will put it together. What cam would you suggest for the big bore?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

First, you might want to do a search on this forum and read up about why Agostino Racing Engines is no longer a sponsor here. If you want to send someone money and actually see a block on your doorstep in the minimal ammount of time, you have a few options.

Steve @ Race Engine Development (link over to the right) is the co-designer of the Darton Interlocking wet sleeve system. If any shop is qualified to do the work, it is his. However, at the time I don't think he keeps core blocks on hand, he usually does the work to your block. If you want to just order one outright, call up Speed Inc. and get one from them. They get their blocks from MTI, and that is who I went with for my big bore project.

Steve along with MTI both have sleeved blocks up and running in many cars. A lot of people have ARE sleeved blocks running great too, and no one is doubting their quality, only their customer service.

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot the most important thread anyone going with a resleeved block should read.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/112703-any-data-darton-mid-block-setups.html
Old 02-12-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Intersting how we have heard nothing about these wet-sleeved blocks for a while now. How are they holding up? My ARE resleeved block is now 3 years old with absolutly no problems and it has seen some of the worst punishment you can throw at one. ARE's race car also went two full race seasons on one of these blocks with no issues. I know it has never been mentioned here but I have also seen an ARE block bored and resleeved again after a sleeve cracked under heavy nitrous use, I think the point is important because if you have a sleeve failure the block is not scrap, they can fix them now as well.

Cricket, while your post is another reminder and all the power to you. I think the admins and ARE have been working together to solve the customer issues and have been making progress. Give em a chance if delivery is an issue talk to Wade or Nick and I know something can be worked out. They schedule things differently now as well.

Just my $0.02 worth and my continued support of these guys
Old 02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

~64 percent had a bad experience with a re-sleeved block. I think almost all the vote were from dry sleeve users. 1/3 said they had problems from the start. ~44 percent had problems before 2,000 miles.

However, no one voted about having a problem with a sleeved motor after 2,000 miles. Sort of gives the impression if problems are going to occur they will early on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=20

Total of 9 people voted they had ARE re-sleeved blocks. 4 out of the 9 voted they had problems with the block. Or about 45 percent from that sample.

It would be nice to have some more info on the wet sleeves as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...30#post1056430

There are plenty of reputable sponsors to do business with no reason to take risks with a banned sponsor that had severe issues. Of course it's your $$$ and you should go with who your comfortable with.

Good Luck & if you go dry ask if whoever if they can throw in a few free cans of block seal
Old 02-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Cricket99SS]First, you might want to do a search on this forum and read up about why Agostino Racing Engines is no longer a sponsor here. If you want to send someone money and actually see a block on your doorstep in the minimal ammount of time, you have a few options.

Thanks Cricket The turn around time right now is 3-4 weeks > The turnaround time on engines at ARE in the past months has been far from acceptable but big changes in the past month have brought things in line with what memebers of this board would find nothing but acceptable.

ARE and MTI were the only shops experimenting with these blocks 3 years ago. We as well as all others that tried had some issues earlier on and made revisions like the wet sleeve blocks just went through. Out of approx. 45 -50 blocks in the past 3 years we had about 5-6 with issues, 4 of these in the first year (2001) and 1 or 2 in the past 2 years (02-03) which were fully warranteed with parts labour, install and delivery ( I would say that is acceptable customer service. With the last small revision over a year ago there have no failures We are confident in our resleeves.

The info on the linked thread was great, to bad we don't know who really voted and if the numbers represent actual users or trolls

Last edited by Nick Agostino; 02-12-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was buying a sleeved engine, I wouldn't give my hard earned cash to anyone but MTI. While there's other places that can do it, MTI is a world class operation that you know wont leave you hanging and dicked around... I've heard too many horror stories.

I've been to their place can't say enough about how impressed I was with the professionalism and friendliness of the staff, cleanliess and size of the shop, and meticulous attention to detail in their machine shop.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Nick, I agree it would much better on the other thread to know beyond a shadow of a doubt the only folks that voted has sleeved blocks. To me the really important info from the threads is if problems are going to occur, it seems most of the time they will either occur from the start or within 2000 miles.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default be careful

go with a C5-R and sleep well at night. it's only $2500 ish over the cost of a sleeved ls-6 block and you will get those $$$ back if you sell. I went through two engines (dry sleeeved from MTI; one dropped sleeve and one deck issue).

MTI took care of me, however, the shop that did the install had to eat labor on the second engine . If your having a local shop install your engine, let them know that most all engine builders will not pay the local shops labor to pull the bad engine and re-install the good engine even when it's the engine builders fault...another reason to get the bullit proof C5-R.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The installation of dry sleevs is the most important.If they are installed right you can beat the snot out of them with no problems..I think now most shops have this down to a science..
The problem with wet sleeves as I read is that you should run Evans coolant and modified pumps to prevent air pockets.To me this means you could have cooling problems with a wet sleeve.Maybe not.
The best setup is the C5r block,but like most I didn't have that much $$ to put into it so I went dry sleeve.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather have a Darton sleeved stock block than a C5R block due to the thicker sleeves and the cooling passages that circle the top of the bore up by the deck, and the ease of changing one if you damage a cylinder.

I wouldn't even consider a dry sleeved stocker.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

The cheapest I have seen the C5-R blocks is around $6400 plus shipping. You can buy two $2400 re-sleeved blocks from Speed Inc., and still have $1600 left over for two $800 Eagle cranks for the same cost!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hugger427
go with a C5-R and sleep well at night. it's only $2500 ish over the cost of a sleeved ls-6 block and you will get those $$$ back if you sell. I went through two engines (dry sleeeved from MTI; one dropped sleeve and one deck issue).

MTI took care of me, however, the shop that did the install had to eat labor on the second engine . If your having a local shop install your engine, let them know that most all engine builders will not pay the local shops labor to pull the bad engine and re-install the good engine even when it's the engine builders fault...another reason to get the bullit proof C5-R.

Good luck.
I agree with you, Hugger. I may go this route later on just for peace-of-mind. My MTI dry resleeved has just about 10,000 miles on it with no issues.