Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont start video added please help (MORE VIDEOS ADDED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK please keep us posted as to what he finds.

I would just off the bat hook up HP Tuners Disable the VATS and then try to start.

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 03-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikemunoz
thats for all the help u guys. na i dont have a spare key and im still waiting for my tuner to come over and connect the laptop (HPtuner) to see what it can be , he says it needs a tune but i pretty sure it the VATS
Get that tuner hooked up and disable that ****!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what op is talking about my security light is on in my 02 ss, but it starts and drives fine and gives no issue. i have hp tuners and planned to turn it off, but it doesn't seem to do anything other then the light being on. i had hptuners on it and it wasn't throwing any codes but that's not to say it finally isn't working for op my vote would be vats.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Other Options

There are some basic things you can do. Turn of all power accessories in the cabin. Turn the key to the on position. You should here a hum for a few seconds. This is the fuel pump. If not sound, have someone stand at the gas filler with the cap off and place their ear close to the filler. Try the same procedure.

If there is a hum, use a pressure gauge and test the pressure at the rail while cranking. If there is not you can do a voltage drop check at the pump connector. Or if you do not know how to do a voltage drop test, you could try a fuel pump relay but this gets into trial an error replacement. Last resort. Sometime the fuel pump relay is the same as another relay. You can swap them. Just look at the GM part number on the relays.

Once you eliminate if it is a fuel pump problem, move to the injectors. You can get a noid light from a parts store. It plugs into the injector harness after you disconnect the injector. Plug the light in. Have someone crank the car. It should pulse on and off. If it doesn't, something is keeping the signal from being transmitted.

This is where the security system might come into play. I am not an expert on this. I had a similiar problem and it turned out to be the crank sensor if I remember correctly. I the test is simply unplug it and try to crank the car. If it starts replace the part.

I should have started with this, but check all you sensor connectors. Most would probably on trigger a light but a couple could trigger a now start condition.

You can rent tools like a pressure gauge and injector test light from AutoZone or Advance and others. Most charge you the price and then refunde the full amount. It is call a loan a tool program.

Any of the parts store should be able to print you a diagnostic tree for a cranks but will not run condition.

Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats for all the help u guys. na i dont have a spare key and im still waiting for my tuner to come over and connect the laptop (HPtuner) to see what it can be , he says it needs a tune but i pretty sure it the VATS
you can get a spare key through the dealer. just provide the vin# and they can have you one in a day or two. i had that done it only cost me 20-30
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

well guy did the bypass and the good thing is that the security light went away, buy it still does the same thing turns on then right back off. The fuel pump does turn on so its not that maybe it does just need a tune (I REALLY HOPE SO)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ttt anyone else has any idea
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure the grounds on the heads are good grounds look for all the grounds to be bolted. Go through the wiring of them w a comb. There are 3 on the DS head on the back if they are not good te car will only crank. It could
Start if it makes
Contact but die once ground is off.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
Make sure the grounds on the heads are good grounds look for all the grounds to be bolted. Go through the wiring of them w a comb. There are 3 on the DS head on the back if they are not good te car will only crank. It could
Start if it makes
Contact but die once ground is off.
i connected all 3 gounds on the back of the ds head to 1 bolt is that ok? what about the chassie to block grounds can that cause it as well?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
WRONG.....it won't crank....... try a better guess next time.... geez.
No, that isnt correct. The car will crank, it will fire, but dies immediately.

I have had this issue several times with customers that had new keys cut at the hardware store or home depot. I take one look at the key, ask them for the key that came with the car, and problem is solved. This car is doing EXACTLY what I see when a non VATS key is used with a VATS car.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

its the same key
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

its the same key
Well that stinks. I would certianly want the tuner to take a look at it. If you are running a stock cam with a longer injector duty cycle, which is usually needed with a large cam, it could be flooding. When you pull the plugs are they wet?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya they are wet^^
Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
No, that isnt correct. The car will crank, it will fire, but dies immediately.

I have had this issue several times with customers that had new keys cut at the hardware store or home depot. I take one look at the key, ask them for the key that came with the car, and problem is solved. This car is doing EXACTLY what I see when a non VATS key is used with a VATS car.
BS.......i've worked on hmmm lets see 100's of vats related problems......it won't crank. Maybe you were smokin good sheeet the day they cranked?????

OP do what I told you to do about two or three days ago............

Last edited by O2Form; 03-21-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

more videos added in the first page guys thanks for the help[
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump......
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did more work on my car to try to start it up. Took the lid off got a rag and put gas on it put it in front of the TB, turned the key and started it right up rev up to like 3500 rpm then drop down and idle for like 6 sec and then turned off. Took the injector rails off cranked the motor and the injectors shot out gas, all the fueses are good. Does anyone have any ideas? My guess is that its a gas issue.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a fuel issue for sure. A simple fuel pressure gauge will tell you a **** load. Thread it onto the fuel rail, have someone start it, and watch the gauge. If something is a miss, check the fuel filter (hell, maybe just replace it... pretty cheap) and see if you can round up a spare fuel pump. You can usually find a used one for a decent price and being as you're in Texas you can probably find someone local that's trying to sell one. May not hurt to put a good after market one in there either. If you do the "trap door" method, you can swap a fuel pump in no time. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

it has a walbro 255 fuel pump in there, it does turn on when key is turn. fuel filter is good. took the fuel line off the fuel rail turned the key and it pumps out gas. so what next to do
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i feel like half the guys in here saying its a Vats issue have never actually had a VATS issue. if it was a VATS issue, the car would not crank. Much less fire...