Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torquer V.2 and my tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torquer V.2 and my tune

So got 100miles or so on my torquer v.2 and stock 243 Z06 heads. Got a few questions for some of you guys.
#1: How come with 374rwtq my car doesn't spin with 245wide performance tires on it. If I don't tach it up any and rolling about 10-20 in first and stomp it, it wont even spin a tire. Kinda disappointed me there. Seems kinda like a dead spot cause from 1k-2.5k rpms it seems sluggish imo. Pulls hard after it gets into the revs.
#2: when I'm rolling in first like pulling in a lot, sometimes it jumps, bucks and I have to feather the clutch to get it move slowly without acting stupid? Is this normal?
#3: if I'm moving slow and have to turn the steering wheel hard it idles down low <500rpms. Sometimes it recovers sometime it dies.
#4: the other day I shifted from 3rd to 2nd and in second it went to about 3k rpms and it backfired. I called my tuner and he said it happens sometimes on a cammed car that as long as it wasn't backfiring while I was in the gas it was fine.
#5: finally I think I'm averaging around 10-11mpg around town. Is this common?

Thanks guys this is kinda a new deal for me. I came from a twin turbo 300zx on 20psi to my gto and this is my first cam experience. I don't know what to expect or what normal driveability is with a called car. Atleast it doesn't have turbo lag or overheating issues lol. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of your problems will be fixed with a better tune. Seems as though driveability wasnt fully addressed in the tune.

As far as tire spin be glad it hooks, usually people want to go forward not light the tires up.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tune sucks find a better tuner. Too many excuses.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

i have a cam of similar size and if i am not in first gears mine will bog if you stomp it at that low of rpm but i can be in third cruising at 2500-3000 and stomp it and it gets real swirly real quick bigger cams move the powerband up the rpm range
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dodson55
i have a cam of similar size and if i am not in first gears mine will bog if you stomp it at that low of rpm but i can be in third cruising at 2500-3000 and stomp it and it gets real swirly real quick bigger cams move the powerband up the rpm range
Your right gears will aid in driveability of a large cam but he's backfiring when downshifting plus other issues. His tune is very bad and gears won't solve that issue.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of what you are seeing can be fixed with the tune. Going with a larger duration cam typically gives up some bottom end but with a low 230 duration cam, it shouldn't be anything too crazy. The car surging and dying should be able to be fixed in the tune. Like mentioned above, throwing some more gear at it will help the bottom end but I don't think that will solve all the issues you are seeing. Is the car throwing any codes? Sounds like maybe an O2 or MAF issue with the driveability you are seeing and the bad mileage.

Jon
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

advice is good in this thread, get a tune, and then let us know how it goes. tuner will tell you if anything is wrong with your car
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did anyone mention you should get a real tune?

Odds are the tuner probably addressed an issue to make it idle fine at a stop and perform good at WOT and nothing else. With the mileage you are getting I am sure your A/F down low is probably pig rich. When I first started tuning my TA with a torquer 3 my idle A/F was sitting in the low 11's and you could smell it too. Leaned out to the 14.7 area and it felt better around town and wasn't as prone to just dying when putting a load on the car like turning like you mentioned.

Not sure if GTO's are different but if the A/C is on it reads from a different set of parameters for some basic idle stuff. Maybe the tuner didn't account for that small bit and you now have the A/C on running stock values?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Idk ill check with him and see if we can't get some of this stuff fixed. There is no check engine light on though.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Also how common is the sewing machine noise with the valvetrain and this cam?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TUNE!! My 230/234 cam actually had really strong bottom even when lugging locked <2k. It was a little bitchy cold but a kitten when up to temp... I guess part of it is individual tolerance but my VT was only slightly noisier than stock and once the YT RR's went on with TFS heads it got even quieter...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

As already said, at least 411 gears and a great tune is what this cam needs. Even with the best tune, you may get a couple hundred rpm window that can buck and surge a little. You just learn to drive around it. The gears help get the car above this low rpm range when cruising in 6th or rolling through parking lots.

As far as mileage, when I was breaking in my gears and forced to drive around slowly, I got 17mpg in the city. Never gauged highway mpg, but assume it's upwards of 24-25 mpg @ 70mph.

Want to blow the tires off your car? Get the gears.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My Torquer 2 on a mail order tune only got about 15 on the highway. It had some surging down low but it had very good low end. It would break loose in 1st and 2nd just stabbing it.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by usmonaro
So got 100miles or so on my torquer v.2 and stock 243 Z06 heads. Got a few questions for some of you guys.
#1: How come with 374rwtq my car doesn't spin with 245wide performance tires on it. If I don't tach it up any and rolling about 10-20 in first and stomp it, it wont even spin a tire. Kinda disappointed me there. Seems kinda like a dead spot cause from 1k-2.5k rpms it seems sluggish imo. Pulls hard after it gets into the revs.
#2: when I'm rolling in first like pulling in a lot, sometimes it jumps, bucks and I have to feather the clutch to get it move slowly without acting stupid? Is this normal?
#3: if I'm moving slow and have to turn the steering wheel hard it idles down low <500rpms. Sometimes it recovers sometime it dies.
#4: the other day I shifted from 3rd to 2nd and in second it went to about 3k rpms and it backfired. I called my tuner and he said it happens sometimes on a cammed car that as long as it wasn't backfiring while I was in the gas it was fine.
#5: finally I think I'm averaging around 10-11mpg around town. Is this common?

Thanks guys this is kinda a new deal for me. I came from a twin turbo 300zx on 20psi to my gto and this is my first cam experience. I don't know what to expect or what normal driveability is with a called car. Atleast it doesn't have turbo lag or overheating issues lol. Thanks again guys.
Find another reputed tuner ASAP
As for breaking tires loose, shorten your gears.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

big cam small motor,you don't make much low end power.is your IAC clean?have you had the car tuned?what is your AFR?clean the MAF .check your plugs.when you let off the gas on some cars raw fuel will collect and combust in the exhaust system.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

New tune today, haven't got to drive it around but they said it was acting a lot better and better driveability. Ill keep back on this with you guys. I know I need headers and exhaust for sure now lol.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Launching!

So I got to drive my car about 100-120miles this evening. The guys at the shop dropped the car off at my work today. Car is doing 10x better already!!! Driveability is alot easier and smoother. Car idles alot different probably because its not near as rich. Still has a little lugging and problems easing into the clutch and turning the steering wheel sharp but I am much happier.

Depending on the mood of the car, I've stabbed it a few times and its spun a little through first and part of second. Pulls really strong and actually feels more like I expected it to.

I've gotta get headers and exhaust. They told me that is where alot of my power and low end is getting killed. I guess I'll work on that here soon after I get back from Gatlingburg. BTW maybe I'll see a few of you guys up there if any of you are going to the Rod Run Festival.

Thanks guys for all the inputs.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Why did you do a cam before headers/exhaust?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

damn a tv.2 cam on stock exhaust! wtf. must sound.......
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Definitely get some LT headers on there. That's a huge part of the car feeling so soft. I'm sure it is down a good bit on torque from what that cam normally sees.

Jon