Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam pros come in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam pros come in.

Considering buying a cam soon. Here is what I got. 02 Z28, stock rear with 3.23 (will change to 3:73 soon) a4 with stock stall. ls6 intake, slp lid, all the free mods, bump stop mod, ram air mod, and will have long tubes on it before the cam. My question is what cam. I wan't lope but want to be able to drive it anywhere. basically how much can stock components hold(springs, push rods, lifters, etc.) Not looking to rebuild the whole top end just trying to push it as far as I can and not tear it up. Any and all opinions welcome. If you have a vid or sound clip of your recomendation post it up. Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion....Don't hold back on the necessary parts (springs, pushrods, ect..) You are really going to limit yourself on any cam choice without upgrading the valvetrain. As far as lifters go, it's not necessary, just a good idea if you are going to have the heads off. You can buy a package from one of the sponsers that includes all the parts you need. Just spend a little extra to buy all of the parts you need to do it right.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any cam, even an ls6, is going to require different springs and pushrods.

Depending on mileage of your car I would also consider an oil pump and timing chain.

Doing a cam without a converter is absolutely ridiculous, at the very least get a 3000.

I have zero recommendations for you because you are going about it completely wrong. Decide what your budget is for springs and pushrods at a minimum as well as a converter and of course a tune and ill put my .02 in. You arent wanting to do supporting mods, you aren't wanting to do things to make it reliable but won't go the length to make it reliable, etc etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

^Hes completly right^

Going on a budget by skipping steps or necessary parts is not wise: it will cost you more in the long run..like bend pushrod, damaged cam, blown engine, etc..

You should REALLYYYY start with your 3:73, longtubes and a tune. That beeing said, youre not ready to get cammed.

I'm no pro in auto setup, but chose your stall you it will go well with your future cam. From what you say, between good old 224-228 cam should do the trick for your needs.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would stick with stock 323s myself.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah u need all the supporting parts,springs,pushrods,tune and a converter.No cam will work without those parts.Like said even an ls6 cam requires different springs and pushrods
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I completely understand replacing everything and having it match. This is not a hp build but a nice, clean, reliable dd that has a little pop to it. I know all about matching springs, cam, pushrods, converter, etc. I run a 600hp mone carlo. Believe me I know the matching game. But just like a sbc or bbc every component has its limits, how much lift on springs, and push rods, just like how much hp a stock set of rods can handle. I know its better to replace it all. The gears and the headers will be done before the cam. just trying to get my list together of what to work towards. This car, because of the monte, will get exhaust, cam, gears, and maybe at last a converter. Thats it. Thats as far as I am planning on going. If I want to go low 10's in the qrtr I'll get in the monte. This still needs to be a budget build that can handle the abuse of traffic and a 500 mile weekend trip. Thanks for all the input.

Now I know I am going to probably hear **** over this but give me your opinions on the gm hot cam. Seems to me its a good cam for sound and lope without the drivability issues of a big cam.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WICKIDSIX
I completely understand replacing everything and having it match. This is not a hp build but a nice, clean, reliable dd that has a little pop to it. I know all about matching springs, cam, pushrods, converter, etc. I run a 600hp mone carlo. Believe me I know the matching game. But just like a sbc or bbc every component has its limits, how much lift on springs, and push rods, just like how much hp a stock set of rods can handle. I know its better to replace it all. The gears and the headers will be done before the cam. just trying to get my list together of what to work towards. This car, because of the monte, will get exhaust, cam, gears, and maybe at last a converter. Thats it. Thats as far as I am planning on going. If I want to go low 10's in the qrtr I'll get in the monte. This still needs to be a budget build that can handle the abuse of traffic and a 500 mile weekend trip. Thanks for all the input.

Now I know I am going to probably hear **** over this but give me your opinions on the gm hot cam. Seems to me its a good cam for sound and lope without the drivability issues of a big cam.
Cam and springs are a must, period.. even with an ls6. You can skip on the timing chain and oip pump if you keep lucky. For the price though and you wre already down their with them during the cam swap I dont see why you wouldnt swap them, I wouldn't consider a camd car reliable without them.

Why are you not wanting to do a converter, that gives you a ton more options all along making the car ten times more of a pleasure to drive. A stock converter will make even an ls6 cam a pita.

Gm hot cam is a waste of money, many other cams out there close to the same size with a lot more gain.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

My main convern with a converter in my heavy right foot. No one can argue that a converter or really anything that is going to let the car launch harder is more wear and tear. here are the facts. It is a pleasure to drive now I would like to make it more agressive even If I don't use it all the time. If something major breaks, rear, trans, etc. then it will be sitting for a while. I know all about doing things while your in there (chain, pump). Just trying to keep it on the low end of money. Maybe I should just not do a cam and pur around rather than lope.

If you don't like the hot cam then what would you recommend. Lopey idle, daily driver, clean drivability, and enough performance to make it worth it. If it had a bbc in it I wouldn't even be asking but this is my first ls engine that I have been able to play with.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First get bolt ons, stall and lastly the cam.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want to keep the stock converter look at a tsp 220r 114lsa cam pkg.or look at comp 54-408-11 ,it will need new springs and PRs.comp 54-455-11 mite work also.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I have to Agree with all the other posts so far. You really should get all the supporting mods to go along with the cam since it's a DD. Not doing it properly will leave you stranded. The stock Valve springs are only good to a 500 lift and the push rods can bend even with the stock cam. But If your stuck on doing it the way you want... Then The most budget friendly cam would be a 02+ Z06 cam- with Z06 springs and hardened push rods. Check out the classifieds as they're always available in there cheap. The cam will get you a lil more lope and still drive ok. On the highest end, the TSP220 cam on a 114 LSA... but you'll have to get at the minimum 600" lift springs and again PR's.

AS a side note- you say you know how to build a motor right, and this your first LS1 right? We know how to build LS1's, so it would benefit you to listen to everyone's Opinions that you asked for by the way.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

May want to take everyone's advice. Don't do a cam without springs and don't do a cam unless you plan on getting a converter. Skipping steps is a good way of draining your bank account in the future.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just keep your stock cam
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Believe me I know the matching game.

I know all about doing things while your in there.
If you know all about it then why ask about doing a cam on stock springs?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you intend for this to forever have a baby cam then by all means do what you want. i wont give you **** for it. first and foremost i dont think theres a cam out there that should be used with stock LS1 springs other then the stock cam. a lot of guys run baby cams with a stock convertor. you can pick up a used GM hotcam cheap and ZO6 yellow springs are cheap as hell. it has a good sound but most important it will give you seat of the pants performance upgrade. but like previously mentioned.... it will still need some tuning to be right. its your money and your car.... if its what you want? .... do it. i run an ASA cam on yellow springs and stock pushrods..... its never been an issue for me with pushrods and it sure as hell wont on a hotcam. just be sure of what you want before you waste your money. you can grab a nice timing set from scoggins cheap too while you have the front cover off.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail2426
Just keep your stock cam
Agreed....I almost locked this thread just because its so ridiculous. But, I will give it one more chance. Maybe it can serve a purpose for some newbies out there.

OP, everything you desire to know and more is here on this site if you are so inclined to look for it. But for the record, you cannot add anything other then the stock cam to stock pushrods and valve springs...they are maxed out already.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

the biggest differece between your Monte and this car is the tranny....with the lockup converter, you can get the same gas mileage (after you get your foot off the throttle)

but I would recomend at the least get a good set of beehive springs and a good tune with your torque management reduced...that way your protected from valve float, and you will feel the difference in the butt dyno
Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Well once reading through all the negative, spend all the money in the world stuff, I actually got the answers I was looking for. Feel free to lock the thread now. Personally I think its a joke that someone asks a question and just because you think its rediculous you want to lock a thread.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Its ridiculous because you are asking about a cam swap and then stating you are unwilling to get the necessary components. If you must go without a stall id recommend the LS6 cam as a mild upgrade or the cheaTR cam from thunder racing