Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experts & such need some guidance....

Old 02-25-2004, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy experts & such need some guidance....

Alright here it is......I had an 01' LS1 and didnt really do too much modding, b/c I was too into my bike at the time, I have gotten rid of that car and a couple of weeks ago got an 02' LS1 used, only 12K miles on it, very very good shape. Here is my dilemma, for the most part I dont know sh*t about internal engine parts, etc. I want to get a cam upgrade, but I know there are some things that need to go along with it, ( I think), depending on the cam I get. I dont know how it all works exactly, as I buy parts, do I need to buy other parts to support them if the stock parts arent stable enough, so....

I want my sh*t loud and shakin, cams??? pushrods ( I keep hearing about hardened ones), valve springs, locks, retainers?? I am completely clueless. I am not independantly wealthy, but not cheap either, I want to get the best bang for my buck and turn some heads in the process. I dont have any overinflated male pride here, I admit I know nothing about this stuff, and I am looking for help from the boards here to lead me in the right direction. I appreciate any and all comments.

BTW: This is a daily driver, probably wont be on a track for quite a while, just the occasional as* bustin of some pony car on the highway. Thanx in advance.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Launching!

With a new cam you will need hardened push rods. I use the comp cams and they seem just fine. You will also need new valve springs. These all depend on the cam you decide to go with. I run the patriot dual valve springs. A lot of guys run the comp 918's. Texas speed sells some good cams. So does futura motorsports. Just do some research untill you find the cam that is right for you.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I just want to do all the necessary research before my purchase and before I go tearing the engine apart. Thanxs again.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you want the best bang for your buck get headers because you said you want to be loud and check out thunder's new cam with crane dual valve springs and hardened push rods since you want your car to shake and haul ***.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the loud factor...try FLP headers with off road pipes, and a QTP electric cut-out.
as for a cam look around....Texas speed and performance has good prices on Patriot performance head and cam packages, with ther 231 cam!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

OK, since I am learning, and everyone on the board here has been very helpful so far, I do have kind of a dumb question, but I want to know all I can. As far as exhaust items go, cutouts, catback ext., I am ok with, except for maybe finding a setup that would be emissoins legal or at least something I could change out easily when emissions time came around. As far as the cams go, I have checked out TR and some others but I dont understand the numbers for example: (224/224 114 LSA) What the hell do those numbers mean, and LSA? Keep the answers coming, cause spring time aint gonna wait for me to make up my mind! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by greengoblinLS1
OK, since I am learning, and everyone on the board here has been very helpful so far, I do have kind of a dumb question, but I want to know all I can. As far as exhaust items go, cutouts, catback ext., I am ok with, except for maybe finding a setup that would be emissoins legal or at least something I could change out easily when emissions time came around. As far as the cams go, I have checked out TR and some others but I dont understand the numbers for example: (224/224 114 LSA) What the hell do those numbers mean, and LSA? Keep the answers coming, cause spring time aint gonna wait for me to make up my mind! Thanks everyone.
224/224 is the Intake and Exhaust duration of the camshaft at .050. The more duration the longer the the cam keeps the valve pushed down, the longer the valve is pushed down, the more air and fuel can get into the cylinder meaning more horsepower. You will also see nubers like .561/.561. That is the overall lift in inches. The further the lift, the more air and fuel get into the cylinder, and you get the picture. The 114 LSA means Lobe separation. This is how soon the intake valve closes and the exhaust valve opens. Tighter lobe separations like 112 means the exhaust valve will open sooner in the cycle than say 116. The higher the LSA the higher in the rpm band the horsepower will peak. Hopefully i didn't dumb it down too much for you.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:13 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

Is it an M6 or an A4 ?

Headers made by FLP come with cat converters and interchangable race pipes and are very easy to install.Run the race pipes all year and swap in the cats for emissions test.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Bad2000SS, no you didnt "dumb it down" at all. Too bad they dont have a "Cams for Dummies" book, the information you gave me is great, now I have a better picture of what is going on inside that LS1 engine of mine and what happens with upgraded cams. Also, it is an M6 for those who respond to my questions about the exhaust and such. Thanx for the replies, I am starting to feel a little more confident about these things. Also, how difficult is it to install a new cam and its related parts myself, as long as I have the information to back me up, I am good with my hands as far as technical skills go. Thanks and keep the replies coming!.

Search this Thread