Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Study-Fram=Crap K&N=Hi-Flow

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Study-Fram=Crap K&N=Hi-Flow

Check out this oil filter study. Fram is the only filter that I know of that uses a cardboard anti-drainback valve.
http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/...lters/merc.htm
Old 02-29-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

good read
Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

K&N was hi-flow, but not great on filtration.... probably why it flows so well though.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I wish they had included the Mobile 1 filter. I think I'll continue to avoid Fram oil filters.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that the M1 does not flow very well. As always, there are trade offs. Want flow, it most likely will not filter down to the smallest particles. Want to filter the smallest particals you can,,, well the filter may not flow well.

Considering that the particles that do damage are larger than what an average filter filters,,,, does it matter?

Try out this site-
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

DOH (Homer Simpson.) I just installed a Fram.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

There was a thread ahwhile ago and if I remember correctly Patman ( our patented oil expert) said that the better flow was more beneficial to our motors than the better filtration. There was more specifics to this in the thread may be worth doing a search?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too heard Fram was crap. I use Napa Gold, I hope they are good filters...
Old 03-01-2004, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

What can happen if i drive around for the next 5,000 miles on a Fram? I'm running mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think folks are over reacting on the Fram thing. I know, I know,,, I don't like the idea of cardboard endcaps either but I don't think that it actually is detrimental. Look, Fram is about the top seller of oil filters {if they are not No.1, they are mighty close}. If cardboard endcaps were so bad,, don't you think that there would be ruined motors popping up all over the place?

Are there better filter out there for less money even,,, yep I believe so. If you have a Fram right now, don't worry about it till it's oil change time.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Judd
I think folks are over reacting on the Fram thing. I know, I know,,, I don't like the idea of cardboard endcaps either but I don't think that it actually is detrimental. Look, Fram is about the top seller of oil filters {if they are not No.1, they are mighty close}. If cardboard endcaps were so bad,, don't you think that there would be ruined motors popping up all over the place?

Are there better filter out there for less money even,,, yep I believe so. If you have a Fram right now, don't worry about it till it's oil change time.
The only engines that we have ever heard of with a failure related to the oil filter was using a Fram. Its all about the marketing.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike K.
There was a thread ahwhile ago and if I remember correctly Patman ( our patented oil expert) said that the better flow was more beneficial to our motors than the better filtration. There was more specifics to this in the thread may be worth doing a search?
For some engines with tighter clearances it might be more important to filter out a higher percentage of sub 15 micron particles, but it isn't that important on GM V8s, which have looser clearances than a lot of engines.

My oil analysis results look awesome while using the K&N oil filter, so I have no doubt in my mind that it's superior flow is more important a factor for a hard driven car.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

I work here at Wix Filtrations, to furocity the Napa gold is a Wix filter.We make all of the Napa filters.It really depends on choice, all the filters are basically the same.All the same processes go into making each filter.They might use a different plastisol for the end caps or the pleated paper make up may be alittle different.The biggest thing that is different is the bypass design and the anti drain back valve.Also end cap thickness is another difference.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

When I had my camaro last year me and a couple of guys down in florida did our own study....between internet information, Specs from the manufactures and our own testing we found that AC DELCO oil filters gave the best of both and for only 3 dollars......

Eric
Old 03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use napa filters too... wix always made good filters for our equipment (from when i worked at crown equipment) and the price is right. used to us ac delco when i worked at the dealer cuz they were free (kinda). the ones from autozone have a different part number then the ones from the dealer though, so i dunno if they're the same. autozone doesn't list a PF44

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Study-Fram=Crap K&N=Hi-Flow