Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd Startup problem (Tuning?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Startup problem (Tuning?)

So this problem has been ocurring for a while not and I am not sure if its a MAF, Tuning, or Vaccum problem.

Here are the symptoms:

Upon Started the car revs to 2-3k RPM's
This last for about 2-3minutes before the rpm's slowly start dropping as the car warms up until it rests at about 1k. This whole process lasts about 5 minutes and is getting quite annoying.

If I try and drive while it is in this process it imediately dies upon going into gear. So I basically can't drive it until it does its thing and sits at 1K RPM's.

Any ideas where to start?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a vacuum leak would be the first thing I would check. I would see if it throwing any codes. I know when the computers loose power on these cars the car goes into a high rpm re learning mode. I doubt that is what’s happening to you because you aren't loosing power.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I'd start with getting the codes. ...Could be a small vacuum leak that goes away when everything warms up, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

If you're scanning for codes, I'd also look at what the MAP sensor is indicating and confirm it's reasonable. I had a wire come out of my MAP sensor connector and the car was quite confused at idle. It would rev to 3000 rpm+.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any symptoms after it's warmed up and idling? Could be the Idle Air Control Valve. A malfunctioning IAC mimics a vacuum leak.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Edrummr
I'd start with getting the codes. ...Could be a small vacuum leak that goes away when everything warms up, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

If you're scanning for codes, I'd also look at what the MAP sensor is indicating and confirm it's reasonable. I had a wire come out of my MAP sensor connector and the car was quite confused at idle. It would rev to 3000 rpm+.
I have heard about the wires coming loose before and purchased a new plug kit so maybe ill put it on next weekend.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Any symptoms after it's warmed up and idling? Could be the Idle Air Control Valve. A malfunctioning IAC mimics a vacuum leak.
After its warmed up and idling it it completely fine operates normally, however if I shut it off and start it right back up (With the engine warm) it goes through the whole routing all over again.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When is the last time you cleaned the MAF and TB?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Guys...I have almost the same problem!!!

So I'm selling my car and I'm taking to the guy who's buying it tomorrow!!! Well freaking YESTERDAY I pull over to talk to the guy. While I'm pulled over I realize my interior lights were on, so I turn them off. Then when I go to start the car again (motor still warm) and the battery acts like it's dead with a slow crank, then after 3-4 seconds it'll fire up and rev up to around 3k rpms!!! I turned it off immediately and tried again...it did the same thing! I went under the hood and manually blipped the TB with the car off....then the car started up normally.

Last night I did a once over the whole car and went to start it and it did JUST FINE!. Then this morning the same problem happened again.

If it's just the IAC I can swap that out easy as I have a spare one in the garage...does that sound like all that's needed?

Note the battery is relocated to the rear going through a 200 amp fuse, then a 3 way distribution block ties in the 1/0 cable from the battery to the alternator and starter. The starter is grounded to the frame.