buillding a drift ls1 motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buillding a drift ls1 motor

Hi LS1tech forum members.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Im currently looking to build a reliable drift motor with a power goal of around 500 HP -600HP

The more i read the more it seems that i need to go with a complete rebuild of my motor due to the high rpm demand of the sport.

I have two motors right now, a 98 chevy corvette motor and the second one being out of a 01 pontiac firebird ws6.

I am planning on running an oil accumulator and currently im deciding if i will stick with NA or run an SC motor.

I think if i ran the na. 500 would be the goal and if i ran a sc motor maybe 550 or 600.

I'll be tuning the motor on E85 and HP tuners

It seems the upper limit of hp for the ls1 stock bottom end would be about 600hp however due to me bouncing off the rev limiter, i would consider upgrading the rods and pistons but am wondering if i can get away with just using the stock bottom end for that HP range.

So far i have gotten:

arp rod bolts, comp cam ( lifters, push rods, duel timing chain) golden eagle valve spring kit.

Im trying to be cheap and get away with making power on the stock bottom end.

I figure i might just bite the bullet and get rods and pistons ...... is it nessary.

Also i need to decide if keep this motor NA or FI. If i do FI im thinking of using the 317 heads + a dished piston to lower compression or i can also use the current 241 casting heads i have right now.

Im not sure what i need for a NA build since im more used to FI motors.

Im looking for this car and motor to take me to formula drift by the end of next year.

FI or NA?

And if FI or NA what upgrades would you recommend. Im on some what of an limited budget but will spend the extra if it is absolutely necessary.

Also im very confused about cam choices! please recommend a good cam for your choice of either NA or FI depending on which method you recommend.

oh i wanted to keep the rev limited at stock 6200 rpm for max reliability.... so no reving to the moon here

its confusing from the info i have read on the forums for the last month ( i have spent some serious hours here before posting ) it seems like every part of the motor is weak when i start beating on it

Thank you for your input.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Staging Lane

since your rocking a double roller like me i highly suggest getting the slp hd (heavy duty) oil pump. It comes machined from the factory to fit over the double chain without shims or modification to the timing cover.

and are you part of godspeed? or that just your sn. Just curious

also i am running the "Fueled racing" pan, it is a custom front sump pan, holds 7 quarts and is baffled. Thats something you might wanna look into since your car will be sliding sideways. ls1's need there oil.

You can also buy the pan directly from moroso, you have to call up and request the gto front sump pan. its not on there site. However its at least a 4 week wait period through moroso cause they are made to order. and moroso suggested i get it from fueled racing b/c they keep them on the shelves for there swap kits.

mine cost 450 from fueled. you will need oil filter reloc kit, i used a moroso stud kit for the pan, and the universal moroso npt dipstick.

just some things to think about
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Teching In

Hi yes i already have the GTO front oil pan + improved racing oil baffle.

im not associated with godspeed i had my name before they where around.

ill looking into that pump.

btw i was looking at the mahle high flow oil pump. would tht work? its over 80$ cheaper than slp hd
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

ah i see about the name thing, was gonna ask how coilovers held up during last season hahaha

as for the oil pump i cant say. but search this site for "double roller oil pump"

i got a double roller at a great price, then i did research and found out all the problems with "shimming" the stock pump people had. some people had to grind away at the pump housing, some had to grind out timing cover

etc etc.. some got it to work just fine with stock shimmed pump. I didnt want the headache and paid the extra money for the slp.

in retrospect, had i looked around here more, i might of went with the cheaper c5r chain and ported oil pump from tsp or something. that setup is way cheaper and i see great reviews on the c5r chain.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see your going to run an accumulator, i use one on my car, i road race occassionally. I will give you a heads up! somehow fit a timing chain damper. I broke a dual Rollmaster while road racing as mine dosn't have one it will be a big load off your mind.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Well ... little update.

motor is done and been beating it for the last year a nd a half

right now im making 500+ HP and TQ on a mp112 magnuson

pretty fun setup.

LS1 stock motor except springs, push rods, lifters and rod bolts.

Still together.

Running aem EMS on E85 with 1200CC injectors
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by godspeed01
Well ... little update.

motor is done and been beating it for the last year a nd a half

right now im making 500+ HP and TQ on a mp112 magnuson

pretty fun setup.

LS1 stock motor except springs, push rods, lifters and rod bolts.

Still together.

Running aem EMS on E85 with 1200CC injectors
Was fun driving with you Spike.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Are you running an oil accumulator?

Quick Reply: buillding a drift ls1 motor