Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment

i originally bought yellaterra's because they had a great reputation everyone talked so great about them..... well i guess things have changed

in late july after about 8k miles i had a catastrophic rocker failure
now let me start by saying the install was 100% correct and i am not to afraid
admit that i was spraying the motor with a 100 shot (but it did not fail during a N20 run) i was running 450psi spring pressure on some comp 926 springs with Ti retainers on afr heads.

well this rocker failure has trashed every bearing in my motor and cost me the rotating assembly..

jim orignally told me they would replace the broken rockers he also made mention the the yella terra's are only meant to hold 400 psi of spring pressure even though i cant find this much needed important info anywhere on his site.. he believes this is what snapped the rocker in 2
25 emails and 5 months later i still have no replacement and responses from jim and doug are getting fewer and further between...

i would not recommend the purchase of this product they will not hold up

also had a friend who had some break with his c6 within 50miles

a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case a engine rebuild
yella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment-imag0391.jpg
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I've put Yella Terra's on springs with 460lbs open pressure dozens of times and never have seen this happen.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Holy f*ck. They won't be getting my business
Old 12-24-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

could have been a bad batch, I have them on mine, close to 500rwhp and spray, never had any trouble (thank God),. Sucks that they are giving you the run around, I hope they do you right, this forum can make or break them....
Old 12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim Petrakis is a great guy (I know him personally outside of just the business realm) and I know for a fact he truly cares about his product and his customer base and pours his heart and soul into the evolution and expansion of the Yella Terra product lines.

Im sorry your having issues but I assure you that your customer service experience would be the exception not the rule (but I am curious on who dropped the ball here and why).

I use their products religiously on all my high dollar / high powered LS builds and I have never had an issue with any of their products. At the end of the day I have good valve control and that makes for good power.

I will try and contact Jim for you and see if I can put the two of you together.

I'm sure he will get you handled ASAP

Happy Holidays everyone

-Tony

PS....I normally keep his product on hand.....I know it can be a PITA to get sometimes. PM me if you guys need any assistance tracking down some of the various products he offers. I always have a set or three of 6645's on my shelf (1.7 ratio LS1/LS2/LS6 aftermarket and OEM heads) because I use them for all of my AFR headed engine builds.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 12-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I had one of the first sets of the bad batch from a few years back. Snapped a rock 2 days after running the car down the 1/8 mile 4 times. Setup was spot on. Posted what happened on here and they were quick to respond and resolve. I even had an engineer call me on my cell to have me explain how it broke, how I installed, and what was happening when failed.

New replacement set has been in the engine since and haven't had an issue. Touching 500whp without spray, dual springs. I will run them again and again, and recommend them to any and every one. I hope this gets resolved for you quickly.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

i would love that but i doubt it will be much use
the most recent contact from me was 10 days ago i have still gotten no response from him or doug here in the u.s..

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Jim Petrakis is a great guy (I know him personally outside of just the business realm) and I know for a fact he truly cares about his product and his customer base and pours his heart and soul into the evolution and expansion of the Yella Terra product lines.

Im sorry your having issues but I assure you that your customer service experience would be the exception not the rule (but I am curious on who dropped the ball here and why).

I use their products religiously on all my high dollar / high powered LS builds and I have never had an issue with any of their products. At the end of the day I have good valve control and that makes for good power.

I will try and contact Jim for you and see if I can put the two of you together.

I'm sure he will get you handled ASAP

Happy Holidays everyone

-Tony
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

i sent the broken ones out to him also and this is the response i get
"As mentioned the engineering team came back and the rockers have broken due to too much spring pressure (+ the NOS shots). The Ultralite rockers where originally designed for high revving light springs, anything up to 400Lbs +/- 20 Lbs ."

now my question is doesn't a "high revving light spring" usually result in valve float.. i was under the belief that most modded people run 400+ psi of spring pressure. am i wrong?

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I had one of the first sets of the bad batch from a few years back. Snapped a rock 2 days after running the car down the 1/8 mile 4 times. Setup was spot on. Posted what happened on here and they were quick to respond and resolve. I even had an engineer call me on my cell to have me explain how it broke, how I installed, and what was happening when failed.

New replacement set has been in the engine since and haven't had an issue. Touching 500whp without spray, dual springs. I will run them again and again, and recommend them to any and every one. I hope this gets resolved for you quickly.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Somehow I don't think a new set of rockers is going to make up for 260B4U's blown rotating assembly.

Sucks man.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

A week or so ago I was looking for a Yella Terra fly wheel.
A person who works for them went out of his way to find me that fly wheel due to the fact that it is no longer available in the states.
That was great service.
The reason I bring this up is that during our conversation, he made a comment about having to deal with a rocker issue.
Could be they received a bad batch and you got the wrong end of the stick.
Sorry to hear that but, you should be able to get this straightened out.
Don't know about the rest of your engine stuff but, I'm feeling you were not the only one recently.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

5 months to get a set of replacement rockers? More customer service fail. Imagine if it took you 5 months to pay?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many RPM were you turning this thing.

I have reved mine 7500 with the Lunati dual kit and not had issues with stock rockers. They are right at 400 open.

Do you really need 460 open. I know there have been cases where AM rockers create more issues and require more spring pressure than stockers

Tim
Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCS
I've put Yella Terra's on springs with 460lbs open pressure dozens of times and never have seen this happen.
x2 have ran these up to nearly 500 lbs open pressure a handful of times. And 450lbs on at least 50 other engines. Haven't heard back of one failure yet.

Jon

Last edited by JS01; 12-25-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

very odd i have mine at 500lbs spinning to 7500 rpms with close to 10k miles on them. I wish i knew what to tell you. keep us updated on whats going on ?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

im not even asking for a new complete set. im just trying to get a pair replaced
although im not sure if the rest were contaminated with metal like the motor was

i agree.. i was in the middle of new mexico (middle of nowhere) when they broke and i had to pay a 250 mile tow truck bill $600 to get back to elpaso (nearest big city) and replacing crankshaft and all bearings oil pump

Originally Posted by sepsis
Somehow I don't think a new set of rockers is going to make up for 260B4U's blown rotating assembly.

Sucks man.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

not a full set indivual rocker pair yea 5 months

Originally Posted by Droptopws6
5 months to get a set of replacement rockers? More customer service fail. Imagine if it took you 5 months to pay?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

stock unadjusted redline 6700rpm

450open and i was told the afr valves were kind of heavy so i need a good spring and a good amount of pressue to make sure they follow the cam to the T

cam was a Tsp 228R

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
How many RPM were you turning this thing.

I have reved mine 7500 with the Lunati dual kit and not had issues with stock rockers. They are right at 400 open.

Do you really need 460 open. I know there have been cases where AM rockers create more issues and require more spring pressure than stockers

Tim
Old 12-25-2011, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

may want to pull them off and at least check for wear and stress cracks

pull the rockers off the shaft and check unusual wear pattern

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
very odd i have mine at 500lbs spinning to 7500 rpms with close to 10k miles on them. I wish i knew what to tell you. keep us updated on whats going on ?
Old 12-25-2011, 03:47 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 260B4U
stock unadjusted redline 6700rpm

450open and i was told the afr valves were kind of heavy so i need a good spring and a good amount of pressue to make sure they follow the cam to the T

cam was a Tsp 228R
Did the spring survive? If it did, I would pressure test it to see if it lost any pressure.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Did the spring survive? If it did, I would pressure test it to see if it lost any pressure.
it did survive and still checked out good... the retainer will not be reusable
yella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment-imag0395.jpgyella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment-imag0391.jpgyella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment-imag0392.jpgyella terra scores a 0 in service 5months still no replacment-imag0393.jpg