Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommendation's for start up after 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendation's for start up after 4 years

so my question is the car has been sitting for 4 year with new oil and filter in it but it has a few quarts over in it currently, i was wondering should i just drain some of the oil out and runner like seafoam or something threw it then change the oil ?

idk if it matter but the type of oil in it is gtx high millage green bottle 5w-30 or 10-30 i cant remember been so long
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devic
so my question is the car has been sitting for 4 year with new oil and filter in it but it has a few quarts over in it currently, i was wondering should i just drain some of the oil out and runner like seafoam or something threw it then change the oil ?

idk if it matter but the type of oil in it is gtx high millage green bottle 5w-30 or 10-30 i cant remember been so long
If the car has sat for that long with it never being turned over or ran at all then there are several things that will need to be done to make sure it is in proper running order. When sitting for that long some of the fluids will have separated into component parts and seals are likely shrank and rotted. I would recommend draining all fluids and doing an inspection on all seals. Once everything looks good and any bad seals have been replaced, replace all the fluids and crank 'er up.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:45 AM
12 Second Club

I'd change the oil out, and pull the fuel pump fuse. crank the motor over a few times to prime some oil in the motor and then put the fuse back in and start it up. I do this everytime I deploy for a year.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Launching!

the radiator fluid looked good still think i should still change it ? appeared to still be that bright clear pink color, and i changed the intake seals and tb seals i cant really see the others to well

and so u dont think i need a flush to run threw it encase of sludge build up ?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

the radiator fluid looked good still think i should still change it ? appeared to still be that bright clear pink color, and i changed the intake seals and tb seals i cant really see the others to well

and so u dont think i need a flush to run threw it encase of sludge build up ?
There won't be any sludge buildup since the engine hasn't been running to create sludge. Unless it was terrible oil that separated and the heavy parts settled into the pan.

I am not saying that you can not start the motor the way it is now. I am just saying that after 4 years of sitting still you might start to notice a ton of leaks developing all along the drive train due to seals decaying. That is not to say that they are bad either. I would just eyeball them all and if need be, replace them.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Launching!

the oil pan gasket i changed out bout a year b4 it sat, and i just replaced the transmission pan gasket an filter, along with intake and throttle body gaskets

and prob 2 years b4 it sat i changed the transmission front and rear seals
Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I see no mention of the fuel system...After 4yrs, you can about bet the farm, that the gas has turned to crud, the injectors may well be gummed shut, and the tank may have a load of crap formed in it, too. Time to clean it up, B4 trying to start it....
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I see no mention of the fuel system...After 4yrs, you can about bet the farm, that the gas has turned to crud, the injectors may well be gummed shut, and the tank may have a load of crap formed in it, too. Time to clean it up, B4 trying to start it....
Old Geezer does make more valid points. I mention that you replaced this or that seal/gasket 1-2 years before storing the car. That would likely be fine if the car had been running during those years. However by sitting as dead weight and not being turned over at all in 4 years, things went to pot. If it were my car... I would personally dump every fluid in the vehicle, pull apart seals/gaskets and replace them and then refresh everything. I would then run a tank of gas through the system. Then I would do a complete seafoam to get rid of any residue. And as Geezer said, it would probably be a good idea to drop the tank and clean it and the evap system along with the injectors.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Launching!

i was going to disconnect the fuel line and pump out the old gas, looks like a fun time trying to drop the tank, i had dropped a tank in a 86 one time that was no fun lol

is there a guide some where on here to drop the tank, cause dont u have to drop the rear end and sway bars ?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Launching!

and as far as the injector how do i go about cleaning them with out damaging them
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

i was going to disconnect the fuel line and pump out the old gas, looks like a fun time trying to drop the tank, i had dropped a tank in a 86 one time that was no fun lol

is there a guide some where on here to drop the tank, cause dont u have to drop the rear end and sway bars ?
No, you do not have to drop the rear. You first release the pressure in the fuel system then drain the tank. Put it up on some stands, prolly at least 18 inches up to give good clearance. You will want to remove whatever cat back you have installed for this. Take off the tank heat shield. Remove the fill pipe supports. Disconnect the fuel return and evap quick connects. Disconnect the feed line at the fuel filter and cap all the lines to help stop fumes for you and to help stop dirt for the tank. Remove the body clips for those lines. Disconnect the sender and pressure molex connectors. Now you need to support the tank with a jack or a stand..something to keep it in place and from falling on you. Unbolt the straps holding the tank up, and them ease the tank out and down from the supports. Have fun cleaning it

I never said it was fun or easy to remove.

and as far as the injector how do i go about cleaning them with out damaging them
Seafoam. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Launching!

thanks for that seafoam link very helpful i was kinda nervus bout using it but now not so much
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for that seafoam link very helpful i was kinda nervus bout using it but now not so much
No problem. Most people are scared to put what they consider foreign materials in their gas tanks or crank case. This will help to educate some as to the benefits.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Decadence75
No, you do not have to drop the rear. You first release the pressure in the fuel system then drain the tank. Put it up on some stands, prolly at least 18 inches up to give good clearance. You will want to remove whatever cat back you have installed for this. Take off the tank heat shield. Remove the fill pipe supports. Disconnect the fuel return and evap quick connects. Disconnect the feed line at the fuel filter and cap all the lines to help stop fumes for you and to help stop dirt for the tank. Remove the body clips for those lines. Disconnect the sender and pressure molex connectors. Now you need to support the tank with a jack or a stand..something to keep it in place and from falling on you. Unbolt the straps holding the tank up, and them ease the tank out and down from the supports. Have fun cleaning it

I never said it was fun or easy to remove.

Seafoam. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html

You guys are crazy haha!! Drop the gas tank and try to clean it because the car sat for 4 years!?

OP, that is no cake job to drop the fuel tank. Just pull the ignition relay out, crank the motor over a few times, replace it, and then fire it up. After it is warmed up I would change the oil and that's it. There is no need to change your coolant.

I do agree you need to do something with the fuel, I just disagree with dropping and cleaning the tank. Just fill it up with gas and put a can of either Seafoam or GM Fuel Injector Cleaner (works great) and then go out and enjoy your car.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
You guys are crazy haha!! Drop the gas tank and try to clean it because the car sat for 4 years!?

OP, that is no cake job to drop the fuel tank. Just pull the ignition relay out, crank the motor over a few times, replace it, and then fire it up. After it is warmed up I would change the oil and that's it. There is no need to change your coolant.

I do agree you need to do something with the fuel, I just disagree with dropping and cleaning the tank. Just fill it up with gas and put a can of either Seafoam or GM Fuel Injector Cleaner (works great) and then go out and enjoy your car.
There is a significant difference in making a motor work again and making it work again properly.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

You can siphon all but about a quart of fuel out of your tank from the filler. You should do this before dropping the tank anyway, but I would not drop the tank. Siphon as much as you can, refill with fresh. Add some fuel dry, whatever its called. I'd replace the fuel filter, turn on the ignition and bleed the fuel system at the rail to get the fresh fuel to the engine and then fire it up. . .I'd change the oil first too and prime the system like was mentioned. . .but I would not drop the tank. That is an enormous pain in the *** and IMO you can achieve 95+% just through siphoning well and adding a fuel drier.

You surely will need to seafoam if you've left fuel in it this long. The fuel probably varnished your injectors years ago. You will probably have some bad seals, I'd just replace them as they are identified. . .come to think of it maybe you should just replace the injector orings since they can really screw you over (allowing rain to leak in and hydrolock the motor). When you do that, you could clean the injectors directly. . .something to consider anyway.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking I'd suggest..

you send them to a shop that has the equipment to do it correctly. They should come back w/ all new wear items installed, ready to put in the engine.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a step by step list of what I would do.

1 ) Fuel additive to dry out the gas in the tank.

2 ) Change the fuel filter. Have a spare filter for later.

3 ) charge the battery.

4 ) Pull the plugs and clean them. Leave them out.

5 ) Add Seafoam or some other top cylinder cleaner/lubricant to the oil.

6 ) Roll the motor over by hand to make sure that there is no problems like a rust siezed piston.

7 ) Re-install the plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse.

8 ) crank the motor over till the oil pressure gauge reads normal.

9 ) Re-Install the fuel pump fuse and attempt to fire the engine.

10) If it fires let it run for several minutes and get completely warm. If it doesn't fire trouble shoot and fix.

11) Drive the car around the block a few times to get it up to temp and make sure it runs and shifts. Listen for odd noises that may mean problems.

12) look for leaks, don't go to the time and trouble of changing seals unless they are actually leaking. Modern seals are not as prone to deteriorate as the ones on old 60s and 70s cars.

13 ) Change the oil and filter.

14) Add a tank of fresh gas and you are done.

Thats how Id do it. I wouldn't worry about fixing problems untill I found them.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car had the radiator fluid, oil & filter, and fuel filter changed prior to sitting on stands for three years while overseas. I also used Stabil in the tank. Memorial Day weekend I returned to the storage facility it was kept dropped in a new battery and it started right up. The car has under 15k on her FYI. I inspected the underneath for any leaks and found none. I dropped the car added fuel cleaner and fuel and drove it 200 miles where it sat a month before being driven 800 miles where it currently sits. There are still no leaks to report. Performance wise it seems to pull as hard as before but after three years of 40 and 60 kph speed limits in Japan I am not 100% sure.

I am not saying this was the right thing to do but it is my experience.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Launching!

well i got the seafoam for the tank and new oil, the motor turns over by hand pretty well, yeah i was really not wanting to drop the tank if i dont have to.

so u think if i just disconnect the fuel filter turn the key to drain the system, install new fuel filter then add seafoam, plus full tank of 91 or higher and all should be good ?