Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is the best engine builder???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004 | 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Who is the best engine builder???

ARE, Cartech, Absolut Speed, etc............

Need forged 347 450+rwhp N/A + 200 shot N20 wet. Target 650->700rwhp on Nitrous.

All feedback will be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

Need forged 347 450+rwhp N/A + 200 shot N20 wet. Target 650->700rwhp on Nitrous.

All can do the work, but I wouldn't give any of them the "best" title by any means.

The best work is always one-of-a-kind special builds by a seriously experienced builder.

I'm not slamming the sponsors, but they aren't the best engine builders in the world. They are pretty good in their niche, but aren't world class.

The difference is, if you are going for the "best" it is in no way going to be inexpensive. Most of what the sponsors do is what I would call "mass production". Good, proven combinations that can be used time and time again.

To get the best, you're looking at spending $20K-$25K for a forged 346...possibly a lot more.
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:21 PM
Launching!

how in the hell can it be 25k$ to get a 346 forged by the "best" when parts are limited to a few numbers of types (pistons, rods, crank) if you bought the BEST of everything that is even manufactured for the car then you would still AT LEAST be under 10,000$ then you would be paying 15,000$ for labor????? wtf??

mike
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:30 PM
Launching!

Since your in the UAE it might pay to use this engine builder in Perth Australia.

John Lloyd StreetQuick Performance he has the runs on the board for these motors and is a NOS man details
http://www.performancewholesale.com....l/west_aus.htm

Have seen his work and is as good as you can get.
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is the trick. In many cases, the "best" parts aren't manufactured for a given motor. They are custom.

You could easily spend $4K on a totally tricked out crankshaft, another $4K or more for rods, a custom one-off set of pistons is expensive as hell. You can easily spend another $5K in rockers and lifters. Hell, I know a physicist that makes custom pistons to order if you're willing to pay him. He's pulled out an extra 40hp on Hemi's in piston design alone. The same physicist/engine builder has pulled another 20hp out of an engine in just valvetrain clearancing. He reduced the force necessary to move the valvetrain (with no pistons/rods and lightweight springs) from 240 inch-pounds to 40 inch-pounds. $1k+ for a custom camshaft. Add in cylinder head porting, custom manifolds, or even custom billet heads. You may as well add in titanium valves and the rest of the goodies. Custom work is extremely expensive.
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

for what you are looking to do, any of them will work
Old 04-12-2004 | 05:20 PM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Don't forget about us!! Give us a call if your interested.

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2004 | 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Futral Motorsports!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004 | 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

IMO, this is one of the best and most pertinent questions that can be asked and answered on this site. Practically speaking, there probably is not a "best LS1 engine builder", but more likely there a very few comparable engine builders, some of whom have absolutely nothing to do with and have never been mentioned on this site.

Maybe this site should setup a system similar to ebay, whereby customers report on their experiences with firms they do business with. I, for one, know that I will probably need a new motor this year, but I haven't decided on who to contact.
Old 04-12-2004 | 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody other than me!
Old 04-12-2004 | 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Perhaps "the best" should be phrased as: "the most reliable, honest, cost effective and consumer friendly?"
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

We've gotten a few from AP Engineering and they obviously took their time to do a concise build...and the prices were better than many others.
Old 04-13-2004 | 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DenzSS
That is the trick. In many cases, the "best" parts aren't manufactured for a given motor. They are custom.

You could easily spend $4K on a totally tricked out crankshaft, another $4K or more for rods, a custom one-off set of pistons is expensive as hell. You can easily spend another $5K in rockers and lifters. Hell, I know a physicist that makes custom pistons to order if you're willing to pay him. He's pulled out an extra 40hp on Hemi's in piston design alone. The same physicist/engine builder has pulled another 20hp out of an engine in just valvetrain clearancing. He reduced the force necessary to move the valvetrain (with no pistons/rods and lightweight springs) from 240 inch-pounds to 40 inch-pounds. $1k+ for a custom camshaft. Add in cylinder head porting, custom manifolds, or even custom billet heads. You may as well add in titanium valves and the rest of the goodies. Custom work is extremely expensive.

DAMN. thats what we need
Old 04-13-2004 | 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Most builders are making power within accepted fiscal restraints. Products are geared toward the masses for sales. If you want the most tricked out motor, it will cost more. Any quality "pure racing" engine will usually cost you $15,000 minimum, and it goes way up from there. What is being sold by the sponsors here are reliable performance, and it is intended to last and make power.
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:12 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Most builders are making power within accepted fiscal restraints. Products are geared toward the masses for sales. If you want the most tricked out motor, it will cost more. Any quality "pure racing" engine will usually cost you $15,000 minimum, and it goes way up from there. What is being sold by the sponsors here are reliable performance, and it is intended to last and make power.
You're absolutely correct.15k at the least and 35k for a tricked out C5R headed monster.Most sponsors offer a warranty and it's much less trouble for them to make a reliable package that is down 20-30 hp than a more radical engine that could be a warranty nightmare.
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:13 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Originally Posted by DenzSS
All can do the work, but I wouldn't give any of them the "best" title by any means.

The best work is always one-of-a-kind special builds by a seriously experienced builder.

I'm not slamming the sponsors, but they aren't the best engine builders in the world. They are pretty good in their niche, but aren't world class.

The difference is, if you are going for the "best" it is in no way going to be inexpensive. Most of what the sponsors do is what I would call "mass production". Good, proven combinations that can be used time and time again.

To get the best, you're looking at spending $20K-$25K for a forged 346...possibly a lot more.

Do any of these engine builds by our owner meet the "world class" criteria?

Chris Gelineau - Owner/Engine Builder

Roush Racing
1995-1997 Transam Champion Tommy Kendell
96-97 Head Engine Builder & Co-ordinator for that program
97-98 Panoz Engine Dev. & Research and Development Program
98 Panoz track tuner

Katech
99 Nascar Bush Grand National Program - Track Tuner/ Engine Builder
Teams: Mark Green, David Green, Tim Fewedea, Gary Bradberry, Randy Lajoie.
99-00 ASA Program - Head engine Builder out of Katech Shop
2000 Developed LS1 Street Program for Katech
Did all Development on production based LS1
Dry-Sleeve block program / Cylinder Head Program
Developent of all Head/Cam and Engine packages
2001 Built in cojunction w/ GM, Fountain Power Boats and Katech - World's Fastest NA Small Block V-Bottom Boat

Diamond Pistons
2002 Started/developed/ran Diamond Pistons LS1 Program

Old 04-13-2004 | 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

nearly impossible to say who is the best as that is a subjective view. best could mean bang for buck, all out performance, longevity, streetability, etc etc. there are some guys out there that know the science behind it better than others and others than can flat out make cars haul ***. there are DEFINATELY guys out there that make custom pistons rods, etc etc. heck go out there and get a LA top fuel crank for an ls1. they can make them! that is 4K all day. heads, there are guys out there porting them to outragous numbers, but be ready to spend 3-4K dollars there.
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Perhaps "the best" should be phrased as: "the most reliable, honest, cost effective and consumer friendly?"
This description represents APE to a tee. They built my shortblock a few months ago. Very professional and very customer oriented. It all comes down to how the owner and employees treat the customer before, during, and after the sale. I do not hesite to recommend Chris, Brian, and Nick to anyone. Building a motor is not rocket science but these guys have done enough to know what's going on with gen3 smallblocks. Their customer service and attention to detail is what puts them over the top. Keep up the good work guys!
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't kept up with all of the sponsors here on LS1tech.com. I've worked with Chris Gelineau in the past both at Katech and Diamond, so I respect his abilities and knowledge. Kudos to AP.
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gelly has been around for sure! Can't that guy hold down a job?

Quick Reply: Who is the best engine builder???