Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun Bearing possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spun Bearing possibly?

I was coming home from work tonight car was running great. I get to a stop light everything still good. I accelerate a little hard but not much when it goes green and about 5 seconds later I loose all power, motor still running but I give it gas and I get nothing. I hear no rattle or anything I downshift to try and figure out what's going on RPM's raise up like normal. Oil pressure shows around 40psi but I still have no power. I coast to a stop and pull off on the side of the road. I notice a bit of grey smoke when I turn the car off. I wait about 10 seconds and fire it back up. No knock or anything but I very very carefully drive it the 1 mile home. I have the same tick I have had for the last year or so from a lifter but no knocking or anything. Idle and Oil pressure stay steady at idle and when I slightly rev it the PSI goes up as it should.

I am a bit paranoid right now because that scared the crap out of me just dying out like that but motor still running. I took it out for a very very short drive after letting it cool off a little bit and it seemed to drive fine. I always figured that a knock usually means bottom end and a tick is normally something in the top end, so should I be worried that I don't hear a knock or what?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spun two rod bearings, and pretty much destroyed all of them. There was no knock, or sound from below. There was lots of ticking from the valvetrain.
Oil pressure went from 20, to 8, to 4, then 2.
Sounds like you have something else going on.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

Oil pressure is steady and doesn't bounce around but like I said there is a lot of valvetrain noise. I will keep a close eye on the oil pressure to see if it does anything weird, I just wish I had an idea what happened.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

If it were bearings you would loose oil pressure.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Sound like something in the valvetrain.I would take off your valve covers and take a look.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"but like I said there is a lot of valvetrain noise"... Noise triggering the knock sensors, pulling timing = making it a dog.
Data log it, and see what's going on w/ the ign, etc.
Pull the oil filter, cut it open....
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

doesnt sound at all like bearings. pull the valve covers and start there. but if the engine revs with no problems other than noise, id say tranny related jmo
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I will agree something valvetrain related could cause a noise that would trigger the KS system to pull timing.
But if the grey smoke was something abnormal then I would be worried about something bigger happened and maybe it is burning some coolant or oil. I would do a lot of diagnosis before driving again. I would consider pulling plugs and cranking it to see if any coolant comes out. I would also let it sit for at least overnight and drain the oil watching to see what comes out of the hole first, maybe even catch it in a cup for closer inspection than the rest that hits the drain pan.

"grey smoke" is a little vague though and is something our mind can make us question once we know something is going on and are looking for clues.

Hopefully you get lucky and a sensor died or something triggering a limp mode would expect a CEL from that.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
"grey smoke" is a little vague though and is something our mind can make us question once we know something is going on and are looking for clues.

Hopefully you get lucky and a sensor died or something triggering a limp mode would expect a CEL from that.
I was thinking the same, regarding a sensor going out of limits/loose connector, or ground....then going into limp mode.

Regarding the oil...drain it into a clean container. I use a white, plastic garbage bag within the container. After draining, let the oil sit...then drain most of the oil from that container, into another clean (garbage bag)container. Examine the remnants of oil from the first container. If there is any sediment/bearing material, you'll see it in the sunshine. If there is no contaminant in the oil, you'll be able to reuse it.
Also, like Old Geezer said, cut the oil filter open. Use a pair of pliers to tear the metal covering open.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Check coolant temperature sensor (ECT).
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I appreciate all the reply's, I noticed this morning when I started it up that oil pressure was around 50psi which is a bit higher than normal for me. I am going to drain the oil this weekend and see what's up. I know my valvetrain is in desperate need of maintenance. Just don't have the time and money like I used to unfortunately.
Tranny shift's smooth as can be, gotta get the POS hydraulics replaced but other than that she shift's just fine. I am starting to lean towards a knock sensor getting tripped I had that issue a couple years ago, but it sure as hell didn't just dog out on the side of the road like that.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds to Me like You;ve got some electrical issues,,,,,,,,maybe losing ground or losing power to the pcm or?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your transmission is slipping to me. Will it shift into 4th? What about reverse?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
Sounds like your transmission is slipping to me. Will it shift into 4th? What about reverse?
Chad, I think he has the manual, although an A4 is also mentioned in the OP's signature.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did You ever figure it out ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,Let us know ,,,,,,,,We need to learn as much as possible so Were better prepared 4 issues such as You'res !
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I've been workin like hell trying to figure out what happened and haven't been able to find anything yet. It is a 6 speed car I converted it years ago from an A4. Tranny shift's fine in all gears although slipping clutch is possible as it is a few years old. Nearest I can figure is it was either knock sensor got tripped or something got screwed up glitch wise in the ECM. I've been tracking down an electrical issue inside the car for over a year but it's just to accessories not anything engine wise. Only thing i've seen so far is that somehow my dipstick tube is no longer sitting all the way down inside the oilpan so it can be causing some oil to splash out and most likely land on the back side of the flywheel.

Quick Reply: Spun Bearing possibly?