Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Z28 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013 | 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default 99 Z28 build

I posted this in the camaro section and got no responces so I figured I'd try it over here. I got a 99 Z28 a couple nights ago in trade for my truck. The has 107,xxx miles on it pretty much all stock right now. Has a aftermarket lid and smooth below. T56 with new LS7 clutch kit. With the car I got TSP 2.5 5.3 heads, ms3 cam, ls6 intake, powerbond 25% underdrive crankpulley, TSP 1 7/8 longtube headers, and TSP ORY. Im plannin on putting it all together within the next few weeks but I want to make sure I get all of the remaining needed parts before I start because I will have to dl it all in one day. I plan on getting LS7 lifters, LS2 trays, and arp 12 point headstuds. I know I need more but not sure exactly what else. Should I upgrade pushrods or rockers? What headgaskets should I run? Which timing chain setup? Im thinking tsp true dual setup or slp loudmouth. My end goal is 450-500rwhp. Please chime in if I forgot or over looked anything.

Last edited by Heavrolet98; 02-03-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2013 | 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

First, you will not get this all done in one day, not gonna happen. Look up texas speed and performance. buy one of their head and cam gasket kits. gonna need a new crank bolt and fluids. Call them up and they will point you in the right direction
Old 01-30-2013 | 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've posted in the old thread you made.
Old 01-30-2013 | 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get a new oil pump as well. Also get the rocker trunnion upgrade kit from Comp, and I would measure for correct pushrod length, then order the proper length.
Old 01-30-2013 | 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
First, you will not get this all done in one day, not gonna happen. Look up texas speed and performance. buy one of their head and cam gasket kits. gonna need a new crank bolt and fluids. Call them up and they will point you in the right direction
Call Texas Speed for sure ( Aaron ) I did and am 100% satisfied.
Old 01-31-2013 | 05:52 AM
10 Second Club

Rushing , is def a recipe for disaster.. If you require this car to get to work everyday, get a better plan together.. Set aside a week , plan your transportation , etc.. Otherwise it'll be Sunday night , 9pm and you'll need a flux capacitor.. Happens all the time..
Old 01-31-2013 | 06:37 AM
Captain Double Post

Gasket kit,ls2 chain is what i used,also duals for sure,loudmouth you will hate with internals,duals will be just as loud and will sound alot better,also a ported oil pump while your in there,also a mechanical oil pressure gauge if ya wanna do that as well,and no you will not get that done in one day,rent a car for a few days,if ya had 3 guys that work on ls cars everyday yes it could be done,but someone that is new and solo will take some time,not only that triple check everything,a rush job will just be a waste of money,also with that cam gears are almost a must,my car was a dog on stock m6 gears n ms4,but if ya plan on racing your prob planning on a rear anyway,

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2013 | 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
First, you will not get this all done in one day, not gonna happen.
Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
Rushing , is def a recipe for disaster.. If you require this car to get to work everyday, get a better plan together.. Set aside a week , plan your transportation , etc.. Otherwise it'll be Sunday night , 9pm and you'll need a flux capacitor.. Happens all the time..
I have the same car, and did basically the same build (different cam and a few other things), but I took a week off of work, dropped the k-frame out, etc. You WILL run into unexpected problems and will not be able to complete the build in one day, and even if you do you will regret it because you will end up with problems down the road (i.e. blown head gasket because you didn't clean the block good enough since you didn't set aside the 4 hours it will take to clean that old head gasket off - trust me, I KNOW.)

Just trying to help man, it WILL NOT turn out well if you rush it.
Old 01-31-2013 | 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Ok well I can get around the one day thing. Its not my first engine build just my first LS build. I'm a KIA tech and have a full shop at hand so that will make it easier. I plan on calling texas speed and talking with them more I'm just trying to get input here.

Last edited by Heavrolet98; 02-03-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 99 Z28 build