Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking coming from oil filler when cap removed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking coming from oil filler when cap removed

Okay i never payed attention to this as i have never opened the oil filler neck cap (the one connected to the valve cover which you add oil after doing an oil change) while the motor was on.

Here is my question;

Is it normal for smoke to be puffing out through the following when opening or removing?

if i pull out the oil dip stick smoke puffs out of the tube.
If i open the filler neck cap smoke puffs out of the valve cover tube.

I'm not talking about a little bit of smoke slowly rising, more like it puffs out light color smoke as if it was a damn cho cho train lol (like each time the crank turns over)

Let me know if this is normal or abnormal and should be concern.

*** Sorry for the title, meant to type smoke****
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rings loss of compression.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have excessive blow-by. Time for a rebuild.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

They call it blow by. Because the compression is blowing past the rings. How many miles does it have?

Last edited by slow ride 02; 02-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

i was thinking the same thing with the rings, but wanted to see what you guys think. i hear a light tap on the block. When the motor is cold the taping is pretty noticeable and once you it warms up it quiets down. If i try to drive the car without warming up it the tap is noticeable and souds bad. Only experience this when i didn't have a chance to warm up the car when rushing to work. Garage kept so not parked outside overnight.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
They call blow by. Because the compression is blowing past the rings. How many miles does it have?
the car reads 188K, but not sure if they are original miles. The car came from Massachusetts. When i did all the bolt ons and performance transmission i notice yellow writting on the heads so that is why i'm not sure if they are original miles
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Oh also i don't race the vehicle once so ever as its my pride and joy that i cruise to work. I just like having a nice performance vehicle to drive everyday.

The only thing that did occur once was that while checking something on the engine my little boy of 2 1/2 reached in the cabin and reved the engine while running to red line (got pissed at the wife for failing to see this happen) and i'm thinking it might of started from their or its just old age
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

do you guys have an idea of how much i'm looking at rebuilding this motor. If i rebuild i want to take advantage and throw in a mild nice cam, finally throw in a decent stall, ported ls6 oil pump, i really want a ls6 intake and valley cover, any other suggestions in rebuilding while not breaking the bank.

I really would like from those experience what is the approximate cost that i'm looking for that way i could be ready.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted 3500.0 for basic rebuild.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took my engine out brought it to the machine shop. For all new bearings, cleaning the block, machining everything, new pistons, it was right around 1800. They assembled the short block also along with the rear main seal. I would just look for a shortblock already assembled and sell your old block. My machine shop took 8 weeks, wayyyyy tooo long.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can find a used 6.0 for $1500+ tuning.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Check some local junkyards on getting a 6.0l i hear they are the cheapest and best solution if you dont have the money to rebuild. They weigh a little more but the amount of power you can get they are worth it
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

At 188k, if it is still original, you are def approaching the end of that ENG's life cycle.
BUT DO A COMPRESSION TEST before you assume anything
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

so a 6.0 fits just right huh,

Well this weekend i spend some time under the hood and under the car to make sure my motor is going out. While doing so i so happen to run my hand behind the intake and found out that the rear valve cover breather or relieve tube (what ever is called) along with the intake tube was completely ripped apart right at the rubber y joint and the plastic tube that comes from the intake to the rear of the intake was broken back their. It looks like it was pinched badly at one point and it came apart after a while also been getting this oil drip after a drive. I don't know if this was contributing for light smoking to be coming out of the filler tube or oil filler neck. after i fixed this issue with the y rubber joint i turned on the car and didn't see any smoke coming from the filler neck. The last time i checked this was after i got home from work and opened the oil filler neck while the car was running and hot. Since i didn't get a chance to drive my car around this weekend once i get home from work i'm going to check and see if i still see smoke coming out of the oil filler neck when removing the cap.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

so a 6.0 fits just right huh,

Well this weekend i spend some time under the hood and under the car to make sure my motor is going out. While doing so i so happen to run my hand behind the intake and found out that the rear valve cover breather or relieve tube (what ever is called) along with the intake tube was completely ripped apart right at the rubber y joint and the plastic tube that comes from the intake to the rear of the intake was broken back their. It looks like it was pinched badly at one point and it came apart after a while also been getting this oil drip after a drive. I don't know if this was contributing for light smoking to be coming out of the filler tube or oil filler neck. after i fixed this issue with the y rubber joint i turned on the car and didn't see any smoke coming from the filler neck. The last time i checked this was after i got home from work and opened the oil filler neck while the car was running and hot. Since i didn't get a chance to drive my car around this weekend once i get home from work i'm going to check and see if i still see smoke coming out of the oil filler neck when removing the cap.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

anybody know what the Tube assembly mentioned above is called that way i could look for some replacement parts.

Its 3 plastic tubes, 2 of which exit the rear valve cover and 1 that exits right behind the throttle body and runs along the intake. Alll three tubes join in the rear of the intake by a rubber y joint.

Thanks fellow members for all your assistance.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SickZ28
anybody know what the Tube assembly mentioned above is called that way i could look for some replacement parts.

Its 3 plastic tubes, 2 of which exit the rear valve cover and 1 that exits right behind the throttle body and runs along the intake. Alll three tubes join in the rear of the intake by a rubber y joint.

Thanks fellow members for all your assistance.
That is the pcv setup...I would just get some 3/8ths rubber fuel hose from the auto parts store and some fittings to make my own.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah run hose from back drivers side all the way around and cap off the rear passenger side. Or you could get your ls6 valley cover now
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

nice, just found on google what the whole assembly was called.

Thats a good idea of picking up some hose from vatozone and just running it. so its deff not crucial for the rear passenger side to be plugged into this breather setup huh?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SickZ28
nice, just found on google what the whole assembly was called.

Thats a good idea of picking up some hose from vatozone and just running it. so its deff not crucial for the rear passenger side to be plugged into this breather setup huh?
Nope keeps the dirty and clean side separate from each other. If you look it up this is the best way to run it

Quick Reply: Smoking coming from oil filler when cap removed