Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep TJ w/ LS1 which cam is right what to look for.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep TJ w/ LS1 which cam is right what to look for.

I'm new to this forum, I'm building a Jeep with a LS1 I'd like to have over 400 hp and torque. I bored out the block 0.5mm and have the new flat top pistons. I plan to mill the heads to bump up compression closer to 11.1. I will be using a 4L60 auto with a stock torque converter. I want low end torque and I want it to have that cam thump SOUND. I know I will need to replace the springs. I will also be porting my heads myself. I dont want max horse power or anything, it will be in a big Jeep with 456 gears. I was going to run the cam that was mentioned on extreme 4x4 a Thumper cam but it was not listed on their website. On the show they said just with a cam and springs change it would add 90-100 hp. And I will most likely be using a custom tune. My machinist say they can tune. Im building the motor myself, I'm a Master tech with GM but all this cam stuff is way over my head.

Just need power, sound and driveability. Suggestions would be great thanks.

Last edited by Apex28; 03-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd ditch the stock converted and go with atleast a 2,000 rpm stall and look into a 228 duration cam with at or just under .600" lift on a 112lsa so power comes in a little quicker.

You'll thank me for the converter swap
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mark21742
I'd ditch the stock converted and go with atleast a 2,000 rpm stall and look into a 228 duration cam with at or just under .600" lift on a 112lsa so power comes in a little quicker.

You'll thank me for the converter swap
Ok thanks, I was just going with a stock converter because I plan on buying a serta trans and it comes with a converter. I'll look into it though I can probably get one out of a junk yard and freshen it up a lot cheaper.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your just holding out til you get the new tranny id just leave the stock one in there til the swap, but a higher stall would make it a lot easier to drove and let you get into the meat of the power quicker...in the 1/4 mile you can knock a half second off the time of a stock cos powered car by jumping up to a 3,500 stall.
I'd say of you plan on doing the tranny swap in the next 6 months keep the converter, but if your going to keep the tranny for longer than that is jump up the converter size....check in the for sale section here...you might get a hell of a deal on a used one because most people that put a 2,000 or so stall in there car end up going higher pretty quick, but it would work good for what you are doing.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

if you bored an LS1 block .5mm then it is junk. That is almost 4 times the max recommended overbore for an LS1 block.

No use of the vehicle listed, self ported heads and wanting to use a stock stall all has FAIL written all over it as do these two sentences.
And I will most likely be using a custom tune. My machinist say they can tune.
I know you said you are a master parts swapper but you are right you are way over your head here and need to STOP and not touch any more of this for quite some time till you go back to square one and start your planning over.

Your "big jeep" is also a hell of a lot smaller than most of the vehicles that got 5.3l engines.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
if you bored an LS1 block .5mm then it is junk. That is almost 4 times the max recommended overbore for an LS1 block.

No use of the vehicle listed, self ported heads and wanting to use a stock stall all has FAIL written all over it as do these two sentences.

I know you said you are a master parts swapper but you are right you are way over your head here and need to STOP and not touch any more of this for quite some time till you go back to square one and start your planning over.

Your "big jeep" is also a hell of a lot smaller than most of the vehicles that got 5.3l engines.
If you have a suggestion give it if not tell your mother good night for me and go to bed! I have way better things to do then waste time on forums like these. You stay on your forum, you belong "10 Year member" enjoy your mobile home. Performance techs don't make nothing get a real job at a dealer!
Attached Thumbnails Jeep TJ w/ LS1 which cam is right what to look for.-g5-10-27-20015-2289.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats going to be a fun swap, I have been slowly accumulating parts to do the swap from a sbc to the ls motor in my cj7.

I would call eps and ask them to make you a custom cam, they will set you up with a complete package if needed. What transfercase are you running? What rear end?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Teching In

It has a Dana 44 G2 rear end in it now with 456 gears 35 spline chromoly shafts ARB air locker. May not sound like a lot but the shafts are as big as 1 tons. Its like a dana 60 minus the bigger carrier and gears. I think now I will be leaving the stock 5 speed trans in now and T-case till something breaks. Im not rock bouncing or mud racing. Rarely go over 10mph off road.

I'm going with a Comp cams 54-451-11 someone over at comp cams was nice enough to help me out not like the losers on these forums that just want to talk s#$t!

Quick Reply: Jeep TJ w/ LS1 which cam is right what to look for.