Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well would this cam run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004 | 12:58 PM
Launching!

Default How well would this cam run?

Lunati 222/230 534/544 114? Just got off the phone with Tybryne and they have killer deals on the Lunati cams. I don't really know jack about cams. I am curious to know what kind of gains it will produce, and how it would be in a daily driver. Thanks
Old 04-20-2004 | 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Initial thoughts:

There is no reason to run that much exhaust duration. I still fail to understand these +8* exhaust duration cams for general LS1 use. It is just silly. There is no practical need to crutch the exhaust to any great degree on a LS1/LS6 head/headers combination.
Old 04-20-2004 | 06:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by DenzSS
Initial thoughts:

There is no reason to run that much exhaust duration. I still fail to understand these +8* exhaust duration cams for general LS1 use. It is just silly. There is no practical need to crutch the exhaust to any great degree on a LS1/LS6 head/headers combination.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with big split durations....
denz...you and I had this discussion once before...and we both have differing opinions...and probably always will....

I.M.O.
A big split can be really good...
I have plans on maybe a 220/230
which would make a great spray motor and would be really rock solid throughout the torque and Hp Ranges
down low you would help minimize overlap and up high it would help as well
I have a few racing buddies who have done this experiment with a little bit different #'s...and the results have always been good....
better torque down low than a 230/230 and better hp up high than a 220/220
It can be a little rough sounding on an idle.....but you can fix that with the higher lsa..

Myself..I like it mean...and since I have an M6...I am considering a 110lsa with my "little experiment"

I say go for it....
Old 04-20-2004 | 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scott,

It still comes down to the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry, but you don't. We've been through this before and it has remained the same. You REALLY need to study the internal combustion engine.

Right here:
down low you would help minimize overlap and up high it would help as well
You're referring to a 110 cam with minimal overlap. You really need to understand what you're talking about before you give people advice.
Old 04-20-2004 | 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought that more duration was used as a crutch? and with SLP headers and a BORLA
i see no need for it!

im going to run a COMP 222/224 .566/.568 114 with my STAGE2 5.7 heads....

COMP said that this is the best smogable cam for CA...POPULAR HOTRODDING just did a comparison and this one looked the best all around!!!
Old 04-20-2004 | 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
i thought that more duration was used as a crutch? and with SLP headers and a BORLA
i see no need for it!

im going to run a COMP 222/224 .566/.568 114 with my STAGE2 5.7 heads....

COMP said that this is the best smogable cam for CA...POPULAR HOTRODDING just did a comparison and this one looked the best all around!!!
That cam should do just fine with your setup.
Old 04-21-2004 | 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Initial thoughts:

Denz,
Perhaps you should follow your own advice! (your next post).
This is a great Nitrous cam, capable of 6800+ revs, yet gentle on your valvetrain for daily use and a good idle for A4's.
No need to bash others, either ignore if you're bothered or simply state your opinion. We compete on street and track, but in here we discuss, learn, devellop and nurture ideas.
Old 04-21-2004 | 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with Denzss, LS1 engines do not need exhaust crutching. As far as being a NOS cam, I disagree with that also. IF you have an effiecent port that can evacuate the exhaust gases then there is no need to crutch it more.. . .you are just blowing torque out the pipes.

Chris
Old 04-21-2004 | 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cstraub
I have to agree with Denzss, LS1 engines do not need exhaust crutching. As far as being a NOS cam, I disagree with that also. IF you have an effiecent port that can evacuate the exhaust gases then there is no need to crutch it more.. . .you are just blowing torque out the pipes.

Chris
Do you spray??
Old 04-21-2004 | 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Denz,
Perhaps you should follow your own advice! (your next post).
This is a great Nitrous cam, capable of 6800+ revs, yet gentle on your valvetrain for daily use and a good idle for A4's.
No need to bash others, either ignore if you're bothered or simply state your opinion. We compete on street and track, but in here we discuss, learn, devellop and nurture ideas.
I agree. The only reason I bit on Scott is that I know he doesn't understand how camshafts work yet. I'm sure he will, it just takes time and effort. One of the big problems with the internet and message boards like this is people have no idea whether the information they receive is correct. When I see something that is obviously incorrect, I try to state that it is.

We're all going to have opinions that differ. No big deal. I do, however, want people who are purely speculating to state it. There is nothing wrong with guessing as long as everyone is aware of it.

Sorry for coming down a bit hard on your Scott, that wasn't intended. It is just very obvious from your post that you don't have enough knowledge at this point to be giving camshaft advice.

As far as the camshaft debate goes, have you ever noticed that the specs keep bouncing from single to split, exhaust to intake crutching, high, med, and low LSA, etc? Unless everyone spits out a new, different, and larger camshaft, you guys will quit buying a new cam every 6 months. It is just marketing.
Old 04-21-2004 | 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pred,
Personally, no. . .the M has a K&N as the only mod. Do I have customer that do, Yes. NOS is factored into the cam profile along with airflow, combo, and intened power range. System matched.

Chris
Old 04-21-2004 | 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Denz, you're OK in my book man, and I myself find lots of your posts very logical and knowledgeable. We all learn from our mistakes or missunderstanding, I know I do.
Cstraub, "system matched" says it all. and with all the hype and "marketing", it can get confusing as to answer general questions. Yet some factors and parameters in some parts perform better under the "right package" than others.
Old 04-21-2004 | 04:40 PM
8 Second Club

I agree. The only reason I bit on Scott is that I know he doesn't understand how camshafts work yet. I'm sure he will, it just takes time and effort. One of the big problems with the internet and message boards like this is people have no idea whether the information they receive is correct. When I see something that is obviously incorrect, I try to state that it is.

We're all going to have opinions that differ. No big deal. I do, however, want people who are purely speculating to state it. There is nothing wrong with guessing as long as everyone is aware of it.

Sorry for coming down a bit hard on your Scott, that wasn't intended. It is just very obvious from your post that you don't have enough knowledge at this point to be giving camshaft advice.

As far as the camshaft debate goes, have you ever noticed that the specs keep bouncing from single to split, exhaust to intake crutching, high, med, and low LSA, etc? Unless everyone spits out a new, different, and larger camshaft, you guys will quit buying a new cam every 6 months. It is just marketing.
I'm actually ghoing from some real racer experience...not from us unpaid amatures.... a buddy of mine races for a living(not full pro...but he pays the bills with racing)(non LS1)and he has a "crutch" exhaust.... he's running a 236/246 cam on his racer.... with a 108lsa... it makes some hella good power...(and he sprays the hell out of that thing- I think he said a 300 wet shot???-anyways...some insane amount)

and I have been doing a lot of reading and research to help me learn.....I might suprise you at how well I have learned and how much I have learned.

anyways....the point is...

I feel this cam is fine. and will make an excellent Spray cam.
Just my $.02 - just like everybody else's $.02- its still ony an opinion until you slap it in a car and prove it.
Old 04-21-2004 | 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

and denz....
You are still ok in my book too....because you have pushed me to learn
and knowledge is power.
Old 04-21-2004 | 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm actually ghoing from some real racer experience...not from us unpaid amatures.... a buddy of mine races for a living(not full pro...but he pays the bills with racing)(non LS1)and he has a "crutch" exhaust.... he's running a 236/246 cam on his racer.... with a 108lsa... it makes some hella good power...(and he sprays the hell out of that thing- I think he said a 300 wet shot???-anyways...some insane amount)
Hi Scott--

You are missing a very valuable piece of information here. This guy sounds like he is running a nitrous powered race SBC. That is a whole different ball of wax than a Gen III powerplant. He needs a heavy exhaust crutch because compared to a LS1/ LS6 most SBC heads flow like fried monkey *** on the exhaust side.

236/246
That is pretty close to a Comp 268H if memory serves. Standard hydraulic flat tappet SBC camshaft. I'll bet the cam he is running is a standard off the shelf cam. Because he has some degree of success with that camshaft has absolutely no bearing on any other engine, especially yours.

Tell you what, Scott. Get your 220/230 camshaft ground and I'll have one of my guys design a custom one. I'll make you a wager I can make more power under the curve from 3000rpm - 6500rpm than you can on your car. If you do, I'll pay for your 220/230 cam. If I do, you pay double for the camshaft I use.

How's that?
Old 04-22-2004 | 10:11 AM
8 Second Club

didnt we once argue about a cam you like????
I think it was a 224/224??? Might not have been you...but I think it was....
and you claimed it would put down better track #'s than large duration cams??? and now guys are ging to a t-rex cam because it make more power??? and several of my KC buccies have had "smaller duration cams" and have all gone bigger...and have all put down better #'s...dyno and track....

again...to the original postee.....
its your decision.....
dont decide because of us....I think we squabble about alot of things on cars....

do some more research off of this board...find one neither of us belong to....

even better...find somebody who has that cam...and ask their opinions....
Old 04-22-2004 | 10:15 AM
8 Second Club

Old 07-26-2004 | 12:00 AM
On The Tree

I have that cam...It sounds like a beast, no doubt anyone next to me at a redlight will hear and feel the power sitting next to them. As far as making power from 4k up to 6700 it is very good. But I have seen guys make alot more power alot cheaper than me with other cams. I am thinking about a 100 shot.