Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace this cam bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I replace this cam bearing?

In the middle of a cam swap, Found this front cam bearing when I removed the old cam. It has a gouge directly in the center, I'm not looking to get the most life out of the engine as I'll be swapping it out in the near future, just trying to have some fun with just a cam for a little bit. But if I leave it alone what are the chances of something detonating? Cam journals were perfectly fine and the car had normal oil pressure when it was running.

Really don't want to replace this thing if I don't have to. Anyone with opinions please reply quick as the cars directly to my left.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might as well. especially since its in the front! Better to replace it now than it messing up your new cam in the future... im a preventative maintenance kind of guy. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cam bearings are cheap. i'd replace it
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can it be removed like any normal small block or is there a different way it needs to be removed since it's an ls1?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

its just a press fit, nothing special. they come right out with a couple swings of a hammer and a carefully placed bearing driver / socket that fits the OD of the bearing. reinstallation becomes trickier obviously because you don't want to damage the new one. be sure to tap it in a little bit at a time....you have to make sure you clock the bearing correctly to line up the oiling hole with the oil feed in the bearing bore....otherwise the bearing won't get oil.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
its just a press fit, nothing special. they come right out with a couple swings of a hammer and a carefully placed bearing driver / socket that fits the OD of the bearing. reinstallation becomes trickier obviously because you don't want to damage the new one. be sure to tap it in a little bit at a time....you have to make sure you clock the bearing correctly to line up the oiling hole with the oil feed in the bearing bore....otherwise the bearing won't get oil.
So I won't need a cam bearing remover tool so long as I'm only replacing the front bearing?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the LS1 bearings were align honed at the factory so replacing them can be a double edge sword. Some have replaced them without issues, others had them spin shortly after replacement. Compared to others, there is very little copper showing which is typical for an LS1.

Photos make things look worse. Can you feel the scratch? Have you tried smoothing it out with some 2000 grit and oil?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
So I won't need a cam bearing remover tool so long as I'm only replacing the front bearing?
don't get me wrong, having an installer tool makes the job infinitely easier but it may or may not be worth $200 to you. you can get by with less if you have to.

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the LS1 bearings were align honed at the factory so replacing them can be a double edge sword. Some have replaced them without issues, others had them spin shortly after replacement. Compared to others, there is very little copper showing which is typical for an LS1.

Photos make things look worse. Can you feel the scratch? Have you tried smoothing it out with some 2000 grit and oil?
This is likely true, but there are work arounds. When installing the new bearings clearances will need to be checked. Alignment is checked by installing the cam and using it as your "gauge" for alignment - any binding indicates high spots on the bearings and those can be taken down with a bearing scraper and scotch brite. The test of good cam alignment is whether or not you can spin it with your hand (no wrench assist). If you can do this then your alignment is pretty good.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt look that good. My thoughts are that if the front bearing is damaged, what do the others look like that you cant see? If you didnt have issues before and dont need it to last that long, you could take a chance on using it. If it were mine I would definitely replace them all. That said, its not a simple in car procedure. Out of the car its no big deal. I paid $68 for bearings and installation.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend and I were in a jam, and ran his bearing like that....never gave any problems. I know this is one data point....
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts

Replace LS cam bearings all the time. No issues.
You do need the proper tools and make sure you index the bearings correctly.
I have only had a problem once and it was due to a factory defect in some Durabond cam bearings. Durabond warrantied all 4 boxes of their defective bearings. Now if they would only pay me back my shop time we could call it all good.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Replaced it tonight. Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

install tool for sale/rent?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Necromancing here....

I have a very similar issue. what did you use to replace the 1 bearing? How's it holding up so far?
Here's a pic:
Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would only replace the bearing if you have the proper tools to measure the bearing clearance. If so, then go for it.

If not, I would recommend to smooth it out with some 2000# sandpaper, clean it up good, then run it.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one for the same thing.
I have a similar issue, I took the engine apart to clean for a rebuild and in the process of cleaning some of the caustic oven cleaner had washed off the block and sat on the cam bearing for a bit and looks to have dissolved some of the silver Babbitt material to expose the copper underneath. The cam bearings themselves have no score marks and are very smooth, same with the cam that came out, and it only seems to have shown copper on the front bearing.

Is it save to reuse these bearings as I don't have the tool and keep reading about the alignment from factory being more important than replacing if they look ok.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by evilstuie
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one for the same thing.
I have a similar issue, I took the engine apart to clean for a rebuild and in the process of cleaning some of the caustic oven cleaner had washed off the block and sat on the cam bearing for a bit and looks to have dissolved some of the silver Babbitt material to expose the copper underneath. The cam bearings themselves have no score marks and are very smooth, same with the cam that came out, and it only seems to have shown copper on the front bearing.

Is it save to reuse these bearings as I don't have the tool and keep reading about the alignment from factory being more important than replacing if they look ok.
they always look like that
Old 05-01-2020, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Clean it up and send it!
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Clean it up and send it!
So this will be fine to re-use?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Yes but in the future leave the oven cleaner in the kitchen.

Quick Reply: Should I replace this cam bearing?