AFR 225CC heads
FAST 102
FAST toys 102 lid
100mm MAF

Looking for something to help me close in on 500-550 rwhp
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also what length pushrods and .650 or .675?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Pushrods have to be checked after you get everything together. And .650 or .675 springs? Why not just go with the AFR 8019 springs in the AFR 225 heads. They are some of the best springs for the LS platform.

And since I have thought about this when I goto a 383, the FTI Hellion 243/247 112 would be my choice for max effort cam, or something like the Tick Polluter v2 239/244 would work well in the 383.

Also, 550 is a pipe dream. If you hit 500-510, you should be happy.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the OP here. He'll get you set up with a custom cam spec...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

Last edited by Paul57; 03-24-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think 515rwhp and maybe even 530rwhp can be done if great attention to detail is paid. You could do TEA TFS 225cc heads or my personal choice would be Advanced Induction As Cast 230cc CNC heads. They have tremendous mid-lift flow numbers and FPS in the runner on those heads will surpass 9/10 heads out there. With a 4" stroke that is going to leave the depression it will leave in the cylinder you need something that can feed it some serious air to make that kind of power. If you want to keep to somewhat of a budget, you can go with Ai 232cc 243/799 castings.

That's not to say that AFR heads are bad at all. They are some of the nicest out there and make great power. I prefer other heads though.

Combine any of those heads with 11.8:1ish static compression and one of my 4" stroker cams and you'll be good to go.

I have a 239/246 .62x"/.61x" 113+3 that would work good with any of those heads mentioned and a 237/244 .62x"/.59x" 114+4 that would be a tad bit milder. If you wanted to go for the gusto a 243/250 .62x"/.61x" 112+3 would be the hot ticket for making as much power as possible. You could also run more compression with that largest cam. The Polluter cam would also work well and I have some new TorqueMAX cams coming for stroker engines too.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There's only about 4 folks I trust to cut me a custom cam. Martin's already posted, PatG, Geoff @ EPS (my tuner) and another that's been mention that doesn't, and will NOT post here. Ever. Martin knows who I mean

You really can't go wrong either way, and this is steering away from the catalog vs proprietary lobe argument.

It looks like you'll have a very stout combo either way, just remember the devil is in the details to maximize the combo. It's not only just about the cam. Ensure the guy cutting your cam KNOWS your heads and understands what they flow and where. Valvetrain geometry and weight, PR length being spot on (sometimes the same motor takes two different lengths) lifters being used, porting that counts...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
There's only about 4 folks I trust to cut me a custom cam. Martin's already posted, PatG, Geoff @ EPS (my tuner) and another that's been mention that doesn't, and will NOT post here. Ever. Martin knows who I mean

You really can't go wrong either way, and this is steering away from the catalog vs proprietary lobe argument.

It looks like you'll have a very stout combo either way, just remember the devil is in the details to maximize the combo. It's not only just about the cam. Ensure the guy cutting your cam KNOWS your heads and understands what they flow and where. Valvetrain geometry and weight, PR length being spot on (sometimes the same motor takes two different lengths) lifters being used, porting that counts...

Who the hell you talking about bro???

I agree with Martin and Dr. Whigam. For 500+, the devil is in the detail, and the devil can add up quick, so I hope you pockets are deep. With that said, I agree with Martin that it can be done, and I would trust him completely to spec you out the right combo to get it done. In my eye's, what makes a builder/cam guy good is when they focus on the entire setup and not just try to sell you a cam. It's best to get with a guy you trust, tell him you budget, power goals, how the car will be driven, etc., etc., etc. and let them help you build your engine from the heads to the cam, right down to what gaskets you need.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Believe it or not, those gaskets can be the difference too....
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you already have AFR heads,get a cam from Tony Mamo.he made 550rwhp with afr205 heads on a ls 383 with a fast 90mm intake.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I think 515rwhp and maybe even 530rwhp can be done if great attention to detail is paid. You could do TEA TFS 225cc heads or my personal choice would be Advanced Induction As Cast 230cc CNC heads. They have tremendous mid-lift flow numbers and FPS in the runner on those heads will surpass 9/10 heads out there. With a 4" stroke that is going to leave the depression it will leave in the cylinder you need something that can feed it some serious air to make that kind of power. If you want to keep to somewhat of a budget, you can go with Ai 232cc 243/799 castings.

That's not to say that AFR heads are bad at all. They are some of the nicest out there and make great power. I prefer other heads though.

Combine any of those heads with 11.8:1ish static compression and one of my 4" stroker cams and you'll be good to go.

I have a 239/246 .62x"/.61x" 113+3 that would work good with any of those heads mentioned and a 237/244 .62x"/.59x" 114+4 that would be a tad bit milder. If you wanted to go for the gusto a 243/250 .62x"/.61x" 112+3 would be the hot ticket for making as much power as possible. You could also run more compression with that largest cam. The Polluter cam would also work well and I have some new TorqueMAX cams coming for stroker engines too.

Just sent you a PM
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

Our old buddy doesn't poke his head around here much, but don't let him fool you, he lurks!
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Who the hell you talking about bro???

I agree with Martin and Dr. Whigam. For 500+, the devil is in the detail, and the devil can add up quick, so I hope you pockets are deep. With that said, I agree with Martin that it can be done, and I would trust him completely to spec you out the right combo to get it done. In my eye's, what makes a builder/cam guy good is when they focus on the entire setup and not just try to sell you a cam. It's best to get with a guy you trust, tell him you budget, power goals, how the car will be driven, etc., etc., etc. and let them help you build your engine from the heads to the cam, right down to what gaskets you need.
Thanks Nate.
Originally Posted by DemonicZ
Just sent you a PM
Hopefully I can get to it today. If for some reason you don't get a response it is not because I'm ignoring you. I've been really busy lately with a massive influx of PM's so please bear with me if you don't mind!

Quick Reply: best custom grind cam