Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage after cam install, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage after cam install, any ideas?

The car has a hard time starting. When it starts it runs shitty and throws a PO342 CMP Circuit Low Voltage. I didnt remove the sensor when I swapped cams. I never had this code until I installed the new cam. Anyone experience this before?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Slow 346
The car has a hard time starting. When it starts it runs shitty and throws a PO342 CMP Circuit Low Voltage. I didnt remove the sensor when I swapped cams. I never had this code until I installed the new cam. Anyone experience this before?
BLKWS6 on here, car is having the same problem but it started after a head swap, the current cam had been in there for several weeks but right after we swapped the heads the PO342 code set and the tach no longer functioned. We swap in a new cam & crank sensor and we pulled the cam to inspect they reluctor wheel, everything looked normal, we start tracing the harness from here
Old 04-24-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Im shaking my head in disbelief reading your reply. My tach also quit working. I replaced the Cam Sensor today and I still have the same problem.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i have had no tach for about 6 months after a bmr k member install wich it set a code no rpm out put and now i just got a code for low input on camshaft position sensor. I have yet to figure it out yet.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

mine had no voltage I must of had a bad wire I cut it and ran three new wires off the computer and it fixed it my tach never stopped working though I got the info on what wires and such from my tuner who is a sponser on here.Speartech
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had this problem.

Check the harness by the coil packs where the CMP wire runs from the back of the manifold to the pass side connector. My CMP wire was pulled out within that connector. I cut off the connector and reconnected the wires and everything worked fine. When pulling the intake off and on you can pull that wire out of the connector but not be able to see it.

Check that out

Old 04-26-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
I had this problem.

Check the harness by the coil packs where the CMP wire runs from the back of the manifold to the pass side connector. My CMP wire was pulled out within that connector. I cut off the connector and reconnected the wires and everything worked fine. When pulling the intake off and on you can pull that wire out of the connector but not be able to see it.

Check that out

I thought that was only on the 98' year model? where that connector is on the pass side?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

ahh ok mine is a 98 so that makes sense then
Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

believe me....i wish it was that easy....
Old 04-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I had the exact same code after my cam install, one of the 3 bolts on the end of the cam had come loose and backed part of the way out. The cam was "walking" and the cam sensor could not read the reluctor(?) wheel. After pulling the front cover and re-tightening the bolts the code was gone.

The starting issue is due to the computer not knowing if the motor is on the compression or the exhaust stroke. Just remember that your in a constant "open loop" with this code thrown. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt B 991LE
I had the exact same code after my cam install, one of the 3 bolts on the end of the cam had come loose and backed part of the way out. The cam was "walking" and the cam sensor could not read the reluctor(?) wheel. After pulling the front cover and re-tightening the bolts the code was gone.

The starting issue is due to the computer not knowing if the motor is on the compression or the exhaust stroke. Just remember that your in a constant "open loop" with this code thrown. Good luck!
Yeah..thats what we thought about mine too...no such luck.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I swapped PCMs and still no luck. Why would the tach and CPS go at the same time? Are they wired together somehow?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I swapped PCMs and still no luck. Why would the tach and CPS go at the same time? Are they wired together somehow?
I am believe that the tach signal is at least partialy fed off the CPS, Alldata has a 8 pg procedure to go through although we will be able to skip alot of it with the history of the car, I really feel that this will be a pinched/broken wire somewhere in the harness or grounds. Will let you know when we find it.....and we will
Old 04-26-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I found the pinched wire. My 99 has the 3 wire plug on the pass side of the motor like 98s do. I talked to BLKWS6 on the phone about it. Hopfully you have the same luck as me.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So are you saying that you had a problem with one of the wires that run behind the starter to the crank sensor? And you fixed the wire and had no problems.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Regular

I had a problem with a wire at the 3 pin connector at the Pass side front of the motor near the EGR valve. My crank wires were fine.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Update: After pulling off the manifold and checking the cam sensor wires in the harness and finding no problems we discover that the connector is unplugged in the same harness that the egr wiring is in,same area as mentioned ,just completely unplugged, I of course blame BLKWS6 since he is the one who took it apart
Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

This happened to me, I undid my egr at the same time and never plugged it in... I felt like a moron
Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tudds
This happened to me, I undid my egr at the same time and never plugged it in... I felt like a moron

LOL yeah it would have been easy to say that a wire was pinched/broken but hopefully this will help the next person to double and tripple check EVERY connection when they come across something like this
Old 04-28-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Da Trut Comes Out!!

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Update: After pulling off the manifold and checking the cam sensor wires in the harness and finding no problems we discover that the connector is unplugged in the same harness that the egr wiring is in,same area as mentioned ,just completely unplugged, I of course blame BLKWS6 since he is the one who took it apart

DA TRUT..YOU CAN'T STAND DA TRUT!!!...unplugged..u gotta b kiddin...guess Jason will take some heat at 2nites meetin...been patiently waitin for the hitech fix to this long standing problem on that car...unplugged..

Quick Reply: Cam Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage after cam install, any ideas?