Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal pouring oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal pouring oil

Well last year when I had my T56 rebuilt I replaced the rear main seal and rear cover gasket. That was about 10k miles ago and had no problems. Last night I had a puddle of oil under the car, got it home quick (was less than a mile from home) and looked underneath and it was leaking between the motor and bellhousing. I'm just wondering why it would all of a sudden start pouring out like that out of nowhere. Replaced with genuine GM seals, put them in dry and everything. I'm just lost on why all of a sudden oil started pouring out. Not looking forward to laying on my back and pulling the trans again but it is what it is I guess. Fingers crossed my new clutch isn't shot too. That's another question, if there is oil on the disk, can it be cleaned or should I at the minimum get a new clutch disk. I'd love to upgrade it completely to a monster clutch but just can't afford it right now.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your clutch is done if it got saturated with oil. Are you sure it's oil? Not clutch fluid or transmission fluid? Seals just don't all of a sudden "let go". Check and make sure the oil isnt coming from up top. Valve cover? OP sender? etc
Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yea it's oil, its black and I was just about to change the oil. I'll check valve covers and possibly the oil pan gasket. I know the oil pan gasket was seeping and that was next on my to do list, but it was dripping out between the bellhousing and the motor. Now if the clutch is saturated with oil, can I just get a new disc and have the flywheel resurfaced? Or will the pressure plate be shot too?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say pan gasket or valve covers. Do you see it on the trans casing too? Or only right at the center? Also you want to put those seals with a tiny bit of silicone on the out side and light grease on the inside.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

I honestly haven't gotten underneath it yet. Just looked from the side. It looked like from the center but I'll have to climb underneath there. Now if it is the pan gasket I know the k member has to come down to get the pan out, but does the trans have to come out to unbolt the pan? I don't remember when I had it out last time
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Launching!

If this just started that quickly i would say you have a leaking oil pressure sender. I have seen the rear cover leak from the top and run down but thats not likely if you just replaced that. I would look at that sender before anything.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Ok someone else told me that so tomorrow or something I'm going to take off the intake. Is it possible the OPSU is leaking but still shows oil pressure?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
Ok someone else told me that so tomorrow or something I'm going to take off the intake. Is it possible the OPSU is leaking but still shows oil pressure?
Mine was leaking after I replaced it when I swapped for an LS6 intake, it showed good oil pressure, but there was a LAKE of oil underneath the car. And it was leaking down the exact spot you said yours is.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I'll probably check that out tomorrow, I checked the oil level and it's about 1/2 a quart low. fingers crossed its that cause I would rather pull the intake than the trans. If I had access to a lift, i wouldn't care but on your back, pulling the trans SUCKS
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

OK looks like it is the OPSU. As soon as I tried to disconnect the plug the entire thing came apart. Will know 100% sure that was the issue when I get it back together tomorrow. Would be now, but need an intake manifold gasket which wont be in til tomorrow
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

So as I was putting my intake back into, one of my intake bolts snapped off in the head.......FML. I'm lost on how, because it was the 4th bolt i was putting in, had the torque wrench set to 8 ft lbs and it just snapped. Did it at 4 ft lbs first. Guess I'll be putting all new intake bolts now. Head is already off. Just wondering if I should just pull the other one and replace the head gasket while I'm halfway there
Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
So as I was putting my intake back into, one of my intake bolts snapped off in the head.......FML. I'm lost on how, because it was the 4th bolt i was putting in, had the torque wrench set to 8 ft lbs and it just snapped. Did it at 4 ft lbs first. Guess I'll be putting all new intake bolts now. Head is already off. Just wondering if I should just pull the other one and replace the head gasket while I'm halfway there
That sucks about the intake bolt. Hopefully the OPSU fixes your oil issue. I'd change the other head gasket, but I like things that come in pairs to be the same age (if that makes any sense)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You really should use an in-lb wrench, a wrench that reads in ft-lbs will not be accurate at the low end of it's scale.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
You really should use an in-lb wrench, a wrench that reads in ft-lbs will not be accurate at the low end of it's scale.
Ditto^^^
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the money now while the heads are off at a minimum drop in a new set of ls2 lifter buckets...I think they were around $16 a pair when I got them a few years ago, you'll if they still come in pairs you will need two sets (4) buckets all together.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Well I think I'm just going to replace the head gasket and bolts on that side for now. Next winter I am doing heads and cam so it will come off again then. Just can't afford it now. Want to drive the car this summer, want to get it to the track to to see where I'm at now. but I appreciate everyones help

Quick Reply: Rear main seal pouring oil