Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any rebuild should have all tolerances and clearances rechecked for spec. Malpractice this is.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "think" they were setup "loose" on purpose but I am not sure. I'l try and find the thread
Old 04-27-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that sucks EZSS. Most people would have thrown in the towell by now. Hang in there. Mikey does great work, and he'll take care of you. I guess when JD says he'll take care of someone, you better have your back against the wall, and don't bend over for the bar of soap.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Any rebuild should have all tolerances and clearances rechecked for spec. Malpractice this is.
Bingo!

As for setting an engine up "loose", I can't see any purpose. "Loose" enough to cause this is just bad or careless engineering.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DenzSS
Bingo!

As for setting an engine up "loose", I can't see any purpose. "Loose" enough to cause this is just bad or careless engineering.
I agree completely. I believe that was the term used when they were asked why the oil pressure was so low. I think it is ridiculous honestly...
Old 04-27-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fireball does this change your views on JPR and JD? BTW where are they in this thread?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminSS01
fireball does this change your views on JPR and JD? BTW where are they in this thread?
JD was banned for racist comments.

JPR, I don't know.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by George C.
Erik I'm sorry to hear about your engine. You may remember our cars where at JD's shop at the same time. It looks like I got 300 more miles on my engine built by JD than you did. JD told me he would give 110% and for me that means 1800 miles. My oil pressure is at 14psi at an idle.

As soon as I get my car back from JD's I have to have a new power steering pump put on becasue... JD stripped the threads ($800 at the Chevy shop) Next, I talk with JD and he tells me to replace the oil pump to see IF that is bad. (I was told that my oil pump would be replaced when he rebuilt it, but it was not) I went to More Performance and got their ported, shimmed, and Teflon coated pump ($600). Car still idles at 14psi!

NOW... my lifters are failing. I have been told that it is due to excessive clearances in the engine.

So I call JD. He tells me...
"the clearances are what joe prince already had done to the engine--i just rebuilt it--not reengineered it." <<<<<<(exact quote)

"I JUST REBUILT IT" ... Does this mean that when you take your engine to JD that he takes it apart and puts it back like it was? I AM confused!!

Erik, it looks like you and I got the same exact type of rebuild. Take it apart, look at it, and put it back together!!!!!!! Oh well, I only hope that others will read our posts and discern for themsleves as to where they should or should NOT take their cars when it comes time to rebuild their engines.
You guys need to get a lawyer and SUE his *** now.
-Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the things to remember here guys is we are never going to know the whole story. We can speculate and make opinions known, but the whole story is likely lost to the ages.

I've talked to George C several times and quite frankly I believe the motor they built for him is total crap and I don't think George has ever BS'd me. I'm on George's side 100%, but I also know there are two sides to every story. One good thing about engines is the dirt always comes out in the wash.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't even waste my time or energy with recourse. I'd just cut my losses (although very large in both scenarios) and move on to a different shop.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't even waste my time or energy with recourse. I'd just cut my losses (although very large it both scenarios) and move on to a different shop.
Thats why my car is at TTP right now being fixed. Then its off to Eastside for another tune (Eastside has been in contact with me about my concerns with there first tune to my car). Matt from TTP offered me a great deal on tuning but I already had a tune done at Eastside and they are much closer.

I just bought a house so I have enough stress in my life. I have heard all the sides to everything, dont know who to believe and right now I dont care, I am just moving on.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

A business is only as good as its employee’s. Since JD didn’t fire JPR once he found out about all the crooked and half *** **** he did, I think that show’s that JD cares more about a shyster than the consumer.

I only hope 11BRAVO get his motor, and it stays together. Although, their track record isn’t very good.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JPR had nothing to do with this last build, its all JD. JD cannot blame any of this on someone else at this stage, its on him. Same as I understand it from George C. I paid for an rebuilt engine/shortblock (and JPR apparently also paid according to JD, for parts) $3200 that was supposed to have been covered, or "taken care" of as it was put to me (ie close to free). I would certainly not have left the car there if I had known I was going to end up paying that much.

I asked for invoices constantly, got nothing but the intial $833 of labor so far, sent in a $1000 deposit, and then the day before I was supposed to pick up the car I got an invoice that an additional $2200 needed to be paid in cash to pick the car up. JD only took care of taking people's money as far as I can tell. I am trying to keep this post from turning into a bashing, but its very difficult considering how pissed I am about the whole situation -- certainly nobody likes to be ripped off and taken advantage of (especially not more than once).
Old 04-27-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick@AP-Engineering
I hate seeing posts like this, as Chris said already we'll help out in anyway we can!!
APE continually impresses me with their willingness to help out people in trouble. I can only imagine the kind of work and customer service they provide to their customers. EVERY thread that has something bad happen in it these guys are there to help out and I am sure give the people in trouble a break.

In the near future when I am having my forged longblock built I Promise you that APE will be getting the call.

Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
APE continually impresses me with their willingness to help out people in trouble. I can only imagine the kind of work and customer service they provide to their customers. EVERY thread that has something bad happen in it these guys are there to help out and I am sure give the people in trouble a break.

In the near future when I am having my forged longblock built I Promise you that APE will be getting the call.

Mike
No joke, I've got plans to have them carry out in the future
Old 04-27-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

EZSS & George, I feel for you sounds like JD's gave both of you a raw deal.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am trying to keep this post from turning into a bashing, but its very difficult considering how pissed I am about the whole situation -- certainly nobody likes to be ripped off and taken advantage of (especially not more than once).
Bro, at this point there are guy's on this board that would have taken an extra special trip to "visit" JD and JPR for this kind of mess. You're being VERY generous with your attitude considering what they've done to you.

Good luck...
Old 04-27-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ezss
The 3k oil change sticker says 39,400 miles, that would be after the break-in period and when I could start using mobil-1 again if I wanted to. First oil change was done after a few hundred miles at JD's. The car is at around 38k miles (maybe just under), and thats where its going to stay for a long while to come it looks like now...

I ran the car about a month ago at island dragway in camaro's vs. mustangs. The car felt strong there, one run was a 11.4 @120, another 11.6 @121 -- this is with my conservative shifting and island isnt the best track. I got booted out for no cage, so I finally went and had my cage installed last weekend by ECS (nice group of guys, they did a nice job with my wolfe).

Fast forward to this week, American Iron shootout 3 at cecil. First run was 11.75 @ 119 on fairly crappy 1.66 60'. Made a few more runs and it seemed like the car was getting slower. I checked oil, level was fine, checked coolant, it was a little bit low but still plenty. Made another pass and it was like 11.8 at 116.9. I know there is no way there can be anything wrong with my brand new motor, not after 110% went into it at JD's, so I decide it has to be me screwing up.

Frustrated I started bothering Brian (fireball) to see if he wanted to drive it. He has a RAM clutch also, same pro 5.0 shifter with lou's SS, same rear, similar tires, similar weight, etc...in his car and he was getting very low 11s. He gets his fire jacket, helmet, and shift **** Nice burnout, car rips off the launch, somewhere after the shift to second a huge cloud of smoke comes billowing out of the back of the car, looked like a second burnout. Brian said the car just died at the top of second, everything turned off. His fiance took video of it, and thats what it looks like...maybe they can post it. Anyhow, oil leak everywhere, but as far as I am aware no debris was picked up, but it seems obvious to everyone involved that the car threw a rod. Crawling under the car I could see no visible signs of damage to the outside of the block though, so I will have to wait and see.

It will be a few weeks before the car is looked at, but talking to JD there is no warantee or any consideration, so the car will not be going back there. If the block is ruined I may end up going back to stock cubes -- I need something that is fast and not going to fall apart on me after minimal use. I probably made 300+ track passes and 29k miles on my stock motor, with the two rebuilds I have about 30 track passes and 9k miles, only 1500 of which was trouble free with this current motor.

So anyhow, any thoughts on what might have happend? any thoughts on motor rebuilds without breaking the bank? what are the chances that the rod hit the oil pan instead of the ruining the block? If it did hit the block, maybe just that one sleeve could be replaced, although Im not holding out hope at this point.

sorry to hear

i work very very close to jds and i was fairly new to the mod scene. when i was first looking into moddin my car, jd seemed to rub me the wrong way, things that he said."these headers are much better than yours" and "those heads wont work as well as mine." he kinda sounded like a idiot when he was saying it, i said to myself "like what ever dude"

i was considering using jd for my mods but after all the bashing from people thousands of miles away i was like "no way man!"

cartek is 54 miles away and i happy with that bunch guys!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry sounds shitty. I was @ their shop once and noticed that the castings and such were kinda scattered around and didn't look like they were real careful with stuff but never really would think they would mishandle stuff the way you say they did.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

JPR, I don't know.
Relocated to Wyoming, now in the Witness Protection Program.. Sammy the Bull's old place.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles