Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad rockers upon removal, is uneven wear the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad rockers upon removal, is uneven wear the culprit?

Well, I just recently removed a set of Comp Cams ultra gold 1.72 rockers, with the intent of selling them and getting some money back. After sitting down and giving them all a good wipe down, I noticed that four of the them seem to have bad bearings, as they do not move freely. Upon closer inspection, I've found some wear on one side of all four of the rockers, where they contacted the pedestal. The strange thing is that some of the other rockers show considerable marking on one side of the pedestal mount, but still function fine - the bearings are good. In fact, the rocker to the rear of the pic is fine. The one toward the front is seized up. Could this be a pushrod problem, or a design flaw? Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to have to pay 10 bucks a pop to have these rebuilt, if it was a manufacturing flaw.

By the way, I didn't check these until I got them home, so I couldn't determine whether these were on the intake or exhaust valves, or both.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Bad rockers upon removal, is uneven wear the culprit?-cam00403.jpg   Bad rockers upon removal, is uneven wear the culprit?-cam00404.jpg  

Last edited by 98Zheadsncam; 06-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks like a rocker bearing problem to me, possibly from the bearings not being seated in the correct position.
I'd contact Comp Cams, and send them the same photo's. There's a good chance they'll do nothing, but you never know until you try.

Comp Cams: ph# 800-999-0853

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-03-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
That looks like a rocker bearing problem to me, possibly from the bearings not being seated in the correct position.
I'd contact Comp Cams, and send them the same photo's. There's a good chance they'll do nothing, but you never know until you try.

Comp Cams: ph# 800-999-0853
Yea, I talked to a guy at Comp today, and told him I would e-mail him with proof of purchase. I have yet to hear back.

I'm wondering if these four rockers being so hard to move would have been causing performance issues as well...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Nice. Self machining while you drive......

I hope they help you out!

is there side to side play in that pair of rockers?

Ron
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice. Self machining while you drive......

I hope they help you out!

is there side to side play in that pair of rockers?

Ron
No side to side play on any of them. The motor was also getting valve float...that's partially why i took them off. I need to do a WOT pull with the factory rockers and see if it carries to 6500 like it ought to.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
8 Second Club

I would first hope for replacement by Comp.
Did the rest of the rockers show any wear in those areas?

First thing I would do is hold the rocker by the trunion between your thumb and forefinger and see is the rocker slides back and forth. There should be very little movement.

Next, I would use your calipers and measure the rocker bodies in that area and see if they are all the same.

Then I'd measure the OD of the stands in that area and see if they are all the same.

Obviously, the rocker body shouldn't be touching the stand.

Given that the bad ones are stiff, I think the bearing failed, allowing movement side to side on the trunion.

Ron

Ron
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I would first hope for replacement by Comp.
Did the rest of the rockers show any wear in those areas?

First thing I would do is hold the rocker by the trunion between your thumb and forefinger and see is the rocker slides back and forth. There should be very little movement.

Next, I would use your calipers and measure the rocker bodies in that area and see if they are all the same.

Then I'd measure the OD of the stands in that area and see if they are all the same.

Obviously, the rocker body shouldn't be touching the stand.

Given that the bad ones are stiff, I think the bearing failed, allowing movement side to side on the trunion.

Ron

Ron
Ok, so, the four rockers that obviously have bad bearings exhibit NO movement side to side. The 12 that still spin freely DO have some movement side to side. I don't have a caliper...so no bueno on that. The factory rockers that I put back on actually all had a little movement side to side...is that not normal for factory rockers? I never had any problems with them before I put the comp rockers on...

Also, as I mentioned in the first post, the rocker to the rear in the pic still rotates freely on the trunion. I guess it could be that it just hadn't failed yet.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I just dropped by Scoggin and tried out a factory rocker still in the bag. It had a little side to side play, so i guess that's normal...at least for factory rockers.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
8 Second Club

Yes, a little is normal. Gives room for expansion. The YT have just a little also.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Launching!

I see. Well, Comp's website actually says these rockers have a lifetime warranty. So, I'll just send them all back and see what they say.

I appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Bad rockers upon removal, is uneven wear the culprit?