Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my cam yestderday

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed my cam yestderday

Yesterday morning me and my buddy started tearing my car apart at 9am, took an hour lunch break at 12pm, started again at 1pm...and didnt get done until 10pm. Now THATS a hard days work. Im so exhausted from standing up all day. We swapped out my camshaft and put in 918's. Here's a lil video of the day's work. I did a little prayer before turning the key, and she fired right up and found idle in a heartbeat. We used the 'pull and pray' method for swapping the cam, all the lifters stayed up except for the first drivers side one so we used a pen magnet on it. I used Larry Samples valvespring tool and that made things go SOO much quicker than I would have imaged. THe only thing I was worried about was dropping the oil pickup tube bolt into the oil pan when I was trying to thread it back into the oil pump

http://home.comcast.net/~ernestworrell/cammin.mpg
Old 05-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHotZ28
Yesterday morning me and my buddy started tearing my car apart at 9am, took an hour lunch break at 12pm, started again at 1pm...and didnt get done until 10pm. Now THATS a hard days work. Im so exhausted from standing up all day. We swapped out my camshaft and put in 918's. Here's a lil video of the day's work. I did a little prayer before turning the key, and she fired right up and found idle in a heartbeat. We used the 'pull and pray' method for swapping the cam, all the lifters stayed up except for the first drivers side one so we used a pen magnet on it. I used Larry Samples valvespring tool and that made things go SOO much quicker than I would have imaged. THe only thing I was worried about was dropping the oil pickup tube bolt into the oil pan when I was trying to thread it back into the oil pump

http://home.comcast.net/~ernestworrell/cammin.mpg

What are the specs on the cam? Oh.. and how was the test drive?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool vid! looked like a good time...sounds AWSOME for a small cam ....i didnt think that little 221 cam would lope like that! congrats! so how does she feal?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool vid, what cam is it sounds sssoooo good!
Mike
Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds really nice. Take it to the track to see what it does.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Redhot, do you have any tips?

Today, I started the tear down on my tsp 231 cam, double roller timing chain, new oil pump, oil seals, and valve guide install. Taking out the radiator took some time, but it was not a problem.

I will do a few hours a day- I am very busy. Any areas where things did not go as planned? suggestions? How did you hold up your valves when installing the springs?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

i just started pulling my car apart today too for my cam install LOL.....i've got most of the crap out of there....any tips or advice??? tomorrow i pull the pulley off etc.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used 5/16" rod iron from the Home Depot to hold up the lifters. You can use a 3 jaw pulley puller from AutoZone to get the stock pulley off. Just put the transmission in 5th gear and it should come right off. On your 1998, you are going to have a good time scraping the water pump gaskets from the water pump and block. I suggest upgrading to the silicone gasket from the 2000+ F-Bodies. If you are going to do the timing chain and oil pump, have some patience. The oil pickup tube can be time consuming but, is worth it. I used the Larry Valvespring Tool and worked like a champ. I also have 2xLS1's tool to pull the pulley back onto the crank without stressing the threads.

You are in my area and if you need help, give me a call.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blacker
I used 5/16" rod iron from the Home Depot to hold up the lifters. You can use a 3 jaw pulley puller from AutoZone to get the stock pulley off. Just put the transmission in 5th gear and it should come right off. On your 1998, you are going to have a good time scraping the water pump gaskets from the water pump and block. I suggest upgrading to the silicone gasket from the 2000+ F-Bodies. If you are going to do the timing chain and oil pump, have some patience. The oil pickup tube can be time consuming but, is worth it. I used the Larry Valvespring Tool and worked like a champ. I also have 2xLS1's tool to pull the pulley back onto the crank without stressing the threads.

You are in my area and if you need help, give me a call.
yeah dude if you could give me some help that would be awesome(never done this before).....im having trouble getting a hold of an air compressor, anything you have that would help would be sweet...i did the spend 60 bucks on pen magnet thing to keep the lifters up(havent gotten to that part of install yet) i'll be working on it every night this week till i get it done
Old 05-10-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an air compressor and a bunch of other tools. Let me when you are ready to start working.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

You coming to Ga anytime soon Blacker??
I have a cam install due as well...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

nice sound and good job
Old 05-10-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blacker
I have an air compressor and a bunch of other tools. Let me when you are ready to start working.
im working on it tonight and tomorrow night and the night after that till i get it done i've already ripped it apart at my parents house give me a call 804-304-6409 or i can call u it doesnt matter just give me a #.......my names Jay you will remember me...im in RPM all that good stuff
Old 05-10-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

sent you a PM blacker....thanks again for helping me tonight