Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Oil Pump

All of my experience is in SBF's. I haven't built a Chevy engine in 30 years.

My engine will be a slightly warmed over LS1, meant for a light weight track car. Very little street use.

What's the thinking on oil pumps? Any advantage to a high pressure pump? does that extra 10-15psi increase longevity at all? There's always a trade off, making more pressure takes power. Is it worth it?

I'll be using a standard volume F-body oil pan. So I'm not considering a high volume pump.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Melling 10295
Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The Melling pumps are okay. Be sure to disassemble and clean them. There have been failures from casting flash and other garbage in the gerotor.

I'm partial to the 10296 if you plan to run a single chain. It's high volume, but it will produce more oil pressure in the LS motor. The high pressure just has a higher internal bypass, so it will help at idle for example but no provide much benefit at higher RPM.

With that said, I like the ported LS6 pump more from vendors like TSP, Tick, or HRI (via WS6Store). I have a ported LS4 pump (DOD) from Synergy, which flows like the 10296 but is clearanced for my double-roller timing chain. It bolted on with no clearance to it or the front cover... which is awesome.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
With that said, I like the ported LS6 pump more from vendors like TSP, Tick, or HRI (via WS6Store). I have a ported LS4 pump (DOD) from Synergy, which flows like the 10296 but is clearanced for my double-roller timing chain. It bolted on with no clearance to it or the front cover... which is awesome.
You can get the HRI pumps at ws6store or directly from us! ws6store has our powdercoated version of the pump!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's good to know.

Do you guys do any clearancing of the pump for those with Double Rollers? I know TSP does and Synergy.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
That's good to know.

Do you guys do any clearancing of the pump for those with Double Rollers? I know TSP does and Synergy.
The pumps do not come standard with clearance for a double roller chain but we do offer that as a side service! We have done it for several customers and they were extremely happy with the way it turned out.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure if I'm going to use a double roller chain or not. Springs pressures won't be that high, so an upgraded chain would probably do fine, and weigh less.

But, still, is there an advantage to a high pressure pump?

From what I'v been reading, most of the high pressure pumps simply shim the release spring. You end up with a higher oil pressure at idle, but otherwise the same pressure as the rpm's rise. Is that a good thing? Does it matter?

If you were going to be running the engine hard lap after lap, would you want a true high pressure pump?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of that depends on how tight and consistent your bearing clearances are. If your clearance is on the high side, the higher volume pump will help keep the pressure up. If your clearances are dead on, I don't think the higher volume pump is necessary. Running a ported LS6 would probably be fine. The port work isn't that hard. If you already have a stock LS1 pump and a die grinder or Dremel with a carbide burr, you can probably do it yourself.

Having a high volume oil pump will hide a lot of bearing clearance shortcomings from the bottom end assembly. A lot of people like the high volume oil pumps for "safety" but if your clearances are on, no need to go overboard.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

That sounds like good advice.

On a high volume pump, is there a concern for emptying a stock pan at high rpm's?

All of my recent experience is with SBF's. In those engines there's never a good reason for a high pressure pump. What about a stock bottom end LS1in a track only car? Is there a good reason for a high pressure pump?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

I used the Melling 10296 and the Comp Cam 3154 double roller timing chain in my LS1 build. The double roller comes with spacers for pump clearance but you still have to do minor grinding. Just takes a little extra time. Regarding pressure, it looks like every one has an opinion on it. I had an LT1 that had an idle pressure of 5 psi which according to GM was acceptable. Some pro racers will say that you only need 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Me on the other hand, I kind of like the idea of looking at my gauge and seeing a little more. Thanks

Quick Reply: Oil Pump