Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydro Locked LS1 - Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydro Locked LS1 - Now What?

A buddy of mine purchased a 2001 Camaro not too long ago. The car had 114K miles on it and drove just fine for about a month or so. Then, about a month ago he went to start it up and it made a clanking noise and didn't start up. Later he found out that the starter tab was broken off the block due to the motor being hydro locked.

Earlier this week we removed the engine to see what the story was. Here's what we found:

So here are my questions:
  1. What would cause this amount of water/coolant to get into the cylinders/block?
  2. The starter tab needs to be welded back on, but other than that, is this block salvageable?
  3. If not, what options do we have in the $2K-$3K range? (He was looking for something in the 400rwhp range)

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Were the intake bolts loose? Was it raining hard the before this happened?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

He said the intake bolts weren't that loose but the valley cover bolts were pretty loose. It had rained since the last time he drove it and when it locked up.

If it did make it in through the intake, does the water typically make it to all the cylinders like this?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX6.0
He said the intake bolts weren't that loose but the valley cover bolts were pretty loose. It had rained since the last time he drove it and when it locked up.

If it did make it in through the intake, does the water typically make it to all the cylinders like this?
I think so considering it could have went through the intake ports on the heads then fell on top of the pistons. I could be wrong anyone correct me if i am. Also for the price range go to the junk yard and find a good 6.0L iron block and build that there is even some on eBay if your lucky and maybe even CL
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

The windshield cowling leaks water onto the intake in about 40 places......... intake bolts loose and in a few hrs a lot of waer can collect. I seen it so many times BUT a lot of people on this forum don't believe it..............

Next time its raining pop the hood and watch the water dripping onto the engine. It puddles all along the intake edges and if the bolts are just a little loose it seeps past the factory gaskets into the intake. Even with the bolts tight the factory gaskets are known for leaking.

I seal all my LS1 cars windshield cowls with silicone and then water test them with a hose. I never completely broke off the starter and hydroed the engine but I came dam close.

Every time it would rain over night my wifes TA would start funny, lock up for a second then start...........This only happened when it rained and sat overnight. I thought WTH is going on? I finally opened the hood one night when it was raining and seen the water dripping onto the intake and sure enough ALL the intake bolts were LOOSE.

Never happened again after I sealed the cowling.

If it was a leaking head gasket the engine would just lock up as it fills the cylinder. When it lays in the intake the engine gets rotating before the water gets into the cylinders and BAM it just breaks the starter off and sometimes cracks the block.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
The windshield cowling leaks water onto the intake in about 40 places......... intake bolts loose and in a few hrs a lot of waer can collect. I seen it so many times BUT a lot of people on this forum don't believe it..............

Next time its raining pop the hood and watch the water dripping onto the engine. It puddles all along the intake edges and if the bolts are just a little loose it seeps past the factory gaskets into the intake. Even with the bolts tight the factory gaskets are known for leaking.

I seal all my LS1 cars windshield cowls with silicone and then water test them with a hose. I never completely broke off the starter and hydroed the engine but I came dam close.

Every time it would rain over night my wifes TA would start funny, lock up for a second then start...........This only happened when it rained and sat overnight. I thought WTH is going on? I finally opened the hood one night when it was raining and seen the water dripping onto the intake and sure enough ALL the intake bolts were LOOSE.

Never happened again after I sealed the cowling.

If it was a leaking head gasket the engine would just lock up as it fills the cylinder. When it lays in the intake the engine gets rotating before the water gets into the cylinders and BAM it just breaks the starter off and sometimes cracks the block.
THIS!!! I am a firm believer that this is what happens also, although I have never had it happen to me or anyone I know personally. I have followed several similar threads on here and oddly enough almost all instances involve rain sometime before the problem occurs.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A buddy of mine purchased a 2001 Camaro not too long ago. The car had 114K miles on it and drove just fine for about a month or so. Then, about a month ago he went to start it up and it made a clanking noise and didn't start up. Later he found out that the starter tab was broken off the block due to the motor being hydro locked.

Earlier this week we removed the engine to see what the story was. Here's what we found:

So here are my questions:
  1. What would cause this amount of water/coolant to get into the cylinders/block?
  2. The starter tab needs to be welded back on, but other than that, is this block salvageable?
  3. If not, what options do we have in the $2K-$3K range? (He was looking for something in the 400rwhp range)

Thanks!
That's coolant....right? Did the gasket look like it had any breaches in it anywhere....? It could have filled the cylinders as it cooled after the last time it was turned off.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

It's mostly just water. I suspect the coolant that's mixed in is from when the heads were pulled.

So, the question is: What issues does this cause for the bottom end? Worth it to rebuild? Or is it cheaper to just get a junkyard/rebuild short block?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

It's mostly just water. I suspect the coolant that's mixed in is from when the heads were pulled.

So, the question is: What issues does this cause for the bottom end? Worth it to rebuild? Or is it cheaper to just get a junkyard/rebuild short block?
If you hydralocked an engine usually it needs to be rebuilt. A least the rod that snapped or bent. Or the rod bearing that got crushed.

Tell your friend to call his insurance company......they ALL cover hydralocks from rain, or puddles that rain causes that you might drive through. They call it an Act of God. I know, I got $3,600 in 2012 from heavy rain taking out an engine. Hydralocked it and snapped a rod. All they wanted were pictures.......and they confirmed it rained like hell the days before it happened.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Would have been good to drain the block before breaking the heads off but thats water in the block now. LOL... If starter is broke off block Id get a used 6.0 from a junkyard or a rebuilt shortblock from thompson motorsports or another vendor.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

Yea.....you can weld the broken starter piece back on. It's easy with the engine removed. My starter broke that same piece off and my welder welded it back on with the engine still in the car. Held for 5 years until my engine finally blew up.......

But blocks are so damn cheap.....just get a new (used) one.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Banned

Here's my thread on my broken starter mount. You need to get the newer starter with the two long bolts so it never happens again. If you block is ok inside from the hydrolock than just weld that piece on real good. It will never come off because that's not the side where the stress is when starting.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ock-broke.html

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Same thing happened to my ls1.. Except the oil windage broke and coolant leaked all into my block. Tried starting it up and broke 2 rods. Now has the motor in my sig in it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
That's coolant....right? Did the gasket look like it had any breaches in it anywhere....? It could have filled the cylinders as it cooled after the last time it was turned off.

That amount of coolant wouldn't be the cylinders from removing the heads. I've been preaching about this ever since your starter broke off and I told you to buy the proper starter. I've seen this happen to so many LS1 cars its just stupid. GM knows all about this............. O2FORM
Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Same thing happened to my ls1.. Except the oil windage broke and coolant leaked all into my block. Tried starting it up and broke 2 rods. Now has the motor in my sig in it.
Yeah I had a couple close calls with this, I've owned 5 LS! fbodies and everyone has had this trouble. All leaked water onto the engine and every one had loose intake bolts AND you can torque those intake bolts every 10k. They get loose from the nylon intake shrinking and moving around. Locktite doesn't help because all it does is lock the threads, It doesn't make up for the intake changing sizes over time.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
THIS!!! I am a firm believer that this is what happens also, although I have never had it happen to me or anyone I know personally. I have followed several similar threads on here and oddly enough almost all instances involve rain sometime before the problem occurs.
Yeah i'm kinda sick of preaching to you guys about it.......screw it just like the starter breaking off thread I've heard enough. O2FORM
Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Teching In

usually when you remove the head (unless you drained the coolant before removal) you will get alot of coolant in the cylinders just becouse there is alot of coolant running around there. i guess since you have the heads off pull the oil pan off and check the rods to see if one is bent. if its not bent put new head gaskets and bolts on and run it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, never knew this was such a problem. I actually take a hose every spring and douse my engine with simple green and water to clean it off. The intake looks like a swimming pool....never had an issue.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Wow, never knew this was such a problem. I actually take a hose every spring and douse my engine with simple green and water to clean it off. The intake looks like a swimming pool....never had an issue.
I have done the same as well. I just have a hard time with the rain theory. If the intake was loose enough to let water enter the cylinder then I would assume you would have noticed the cars idle being off from a vacuum leak.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know but as soon as it gets warmer out, I'm getting some gasket maker and redoing the weather stripping. New engines ain't cheap lol and also I had the rain problem with a bad gasket on my ECU. Water leaked right in, made some sort of algae color and turned my dash into a Christmas tree. Here's a pic: (when the ls1 was still in)

Hydro Locked LS1 - Now What?-image-3123129597.jpg

Quick Reply: Hydro Locked LS1 - Now What?