Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DON'T use pen magnets while doing a cam swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DON'T use pen magnets while doing a cam swap!!

I'm telling people this now based on the experience i just had with them.....another member on here(Blacker) and i have been working on my cam install for the past couple of days and we finally got to swapping the cam out last night and got to use the pen magnet trick on the lifters....WELL to make a long story short while pulling one of the magnets off the lifters it was stuck so hardcore on there it broke off with a little bit of the shaft on the magnet down inside the head so after an hour of coming up with ideas and fishing around i was able to put the broken piece over the piece that was still down in there and we got it out....only to find that the magnet was still on the lifter!!! anyway Blacker started fishing around for the magnet with another magnet and about 20 minutes later pulled it out to both of our amazement...this wasted about an hours worth of our time trying to fish out this stupid magnet crap out of my head....ohhhwell just passing on my experience to others to hopefully get them to use that JPR tool or something to put in thoose two little holes to hold the lifters up...not to much left to do now just have to change the oil pump and timing chain and bolt her all back up
Old 05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

a lit of guys just go buy an aluminum or iron rod to stick in...just gotta get the right size..couldnt tell ya what size it was...I think it was like 1/4" or3/8" or something like that...cut to length for the engine......but its the same as the tool without the handle.,..and costs about $5

and with pen magnets you always have to test them before putting them in your engine...sometimes it takes a little epoxy with the thing to guarantee thay dont come apart...
and one of those claw grabbers is useful for fishing them out too...
Old 05-12-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know what size it rod to get exactly? Can I just get it at my local hardwear shop. I am going to do a cam swap in about a week and dont really feel like using pen magnets. It seems a lot easire just to stick the rod in there to hold up the lifters. I cant even find the JPR tool on the thnder site. Does anyone know where it is on there site and how much it is?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

It there and its 85.00. The size rod you need is 5/16'

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=17
Old 05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

85 bucks????

You can go to a parts store, buy some brake line, round the end off, and works just as good for about 83 bucks less
Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

A friend of mine was using the magnets to do his cam swap and the same thing nearly happened to his car. He was able to get them unstuck.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

the rod is about 3/8's and it is D shaped.

I have heard of several people doing the 1/4 rod trick, and a lifter slipping by.......
Then that 85.00 seems very cheap.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pen magnets rule! Worked like a charm for my cam swap. Don't get the crappy ones. I stepped up to the high performance ones for $2.00 each ....You get what you paid for!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

i actually bought some that were 3 dollars each then one broke so i bought some from lowes and they were 5 bucks each but anyway it was the 5 dollar hardcore one from Lowes that got stuck to lifter.....man that thing just didnt want to let go...all is well though i just have to get my car back together lol
Old 05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a friend of mine had that happen, but he wasnt sure if the head came off before or after the swap(guess he wasnt paying much attension beforehand) so either hes still got the magnet on top of the one lifter or he lucked out cuz he couldnt fish anything off the top of the lifter so just assumed it was ok...that was like 20k miles ago though so im assuming everything is kewl.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExtremeZ28
I'm telling people this now based on the experience i just had with them.....another member on here(Blacker) and i have been working on my cam install for the past couple of days and we finally got to swapping the cam out last night and got to use the pen magnet trick on the lifters....WELL to make a long story short while pulling one of the magnets off the lifters it was stuck so hardcore on there it broke off with a little bit of the shaft on the magnet down inside the head so after an hour of coming up with ideas and fishing around i was able to put the broken piece over the piece that was still down in there and we got it out....only to find that the magnet was still on the lifter!!! anyway Blacker started fishing around for the magnet with another magnet and about 20 minutes later pulled it out to both of our amazement...this wasted about an hours worth of our time trying to fish out this stupid magnet crap out of my head....ohhhwell just passing on my experience to others to hopefully get them to use that JPR tool or something to put in thoose two little holes to hold the lifters up...not to much left to do now just have to change the oil pump and timing chain and bolt her all back up
Not the first time Ive heard of that...
Old 05-12-2004, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by killer01ws6
the rod is about 3/8's and it is D shaped.

I have heard of several people doing the 1/4 rod trick, and a lifter slipping by.......
Then that 85.00 seems very cheap.

The reason it slipped by is because 1/4" is too small 5/16" and 6/16" (3/8) wouldve been the right sizes
Old 05-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Im gettin ready to put a cam in, I got 2- 3 ft. rods from home depot for $4.,its 5/16 " ,some here said 1/4 " is too small lifters slip by.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Pens worked ok for me, next time I do a swap im gonna get the rod from Home depot.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing what the problems are using pen magnets, I would never recommend them. Granted it is a slim chance of loosing magnet but, it was a bitch getting it off the lifter. The zinc rods from the Home Depot will be my first choice and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i actually bought some that were 3 dollars each then one broke so i bought some from lowes and they were 5 bucks each but anyway it was the 5 dollar hardcore one from Lowes that got stuck to lifter.....man that thing just didnt want to let go...all is well though i just have to get my car back together lol
Got it running yet
Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 cam swaps here with the same magnets and no problems yet. you just gotta be careful
Old 05-13-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

If that magnet broke off and remained stuck to the lifter there is no way the pushrod would go in properly and the rocker seat properly. I had trouble with the magnets too. I was only able to get the cam about 1/3 of the way out using magnets. Never did figure out which lifter was interfering with the cam lobe. Used the JPR tool and the cam jumped out the block by it self while I drank a beer. It is highly overpriced though. Those magnets don't need to be nearly as strong as they are to do the job of holding the lifters up because the lifter move freely inside of the plastic retainers. If they are holding the lifter tight enough to get stuck to the lifter when you try to pull the magnet out the magnet is a whole lot stronger than it needs to be. It sounds like the magnet was so strong it self-destructed when it was being removed.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Let's see 16 magnets @ $5.00 a piece comes to $80.00! Makes the overpriced JPR tool look more appealing. JPR tool worked fine with my cam swap.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:02 AM
FormerVendor

Only think i read somwhere is theJPR tool CANNOT be used with after market lifters. So I guess after the heads are off and some comp-R's are used you will have an 85.00 paper weight

Quick Reply: DON'T use pen magnets while doing a cam swap!!