Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE answer to your ls7 lifter woes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE answer to your ls7 lifter woes.

Over the past few weeks we have seen quitte a few....ok maybe just short of 20 raking the ls7 lifters over the coals. What is the next best option is the question right?

Well, since not everyone has $500+ to spend on Morel's there has to be another alternative.

And of course there is. We have the Lunati drop in ls replacements avail and ready to go. They have been used in numerous reg and high horsepower builds to date. They are commonly overlooked as well for one reason or

They are superior quality to the ls7 and wont break the bank like Morel. PM for pricing. And you dont have to worry about being machinist precise on the lifter preload like some of the short travel lifters. They have a normal range just like the ls7s, which is good as every assembler/shop has their own preference.

Last edited by COSPEED2; 02-28-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Approximately how much are they going to cost?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Over the past few weeks we have seen quitte a few....ok maybe just short of 20 raking the ls7 lifters over the coals. What is the next best option is the question right?
Are you dealing with or seeing LS7 lifter problems or failures in your shop ?

I ask because it seems to be the trend here that a few 20 or so start talking **** about something... (Some of them have never even touched or used the parts their bashing.) Then they get every one else fired up and before you know it you have a whole thread of fail.

Not saying you are doing that I'm just curious if shops like yours are having real problems with the lifter of if its just individuals that have a cam thats too big, lobes that shouldn't be on that style of lifter, cheap springs ect ect...

Once again not trying to start a pissing match, I'm running LS7 lifters in the 3 LS engines I have had to open up for one reason or another and I haven't had a problem with any of them. My 5.3L just went over the 100,000 mile mark with LS7 lifters.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have dealt with stock lifter problems before and have seen a few bad batches in the past from new LS7 lifters.

I would say most of the time the problem with the lifter failures IF indeed they were "ls7 lifters" and not stock lifters in the engine is from user abuse/neglect. After that is usually a question of installer error or improper lifter preload. Even using lower quality oil and filters can cause these issues.

This thread is not to say LS7 lifters are bad, nor did I ever say that.
This thread is to offer another alternative to them that are higher quality and a direct drop in. For some of the more aggressive cam lobes out there and higher spring pressures, I would be a bit wary of using LS7 lifters over a higher quality style.

Also using brand new LS7 lifters on a used camshaft....that is questionable also. Quite often the people trying to save money with budget builds often find themselves upside down in the budget when things go wrong. Using quality parts will nearly always equate to a quality build. I have yet to hear anything to the contrary. The LS7 lifters are good quality, but there are better out there.

My vote is for link bars, but they are not a part of this thread.

Does that answer your question? We dont just sell parts and make threads just to sell parts. We are also here to educate and give alternatives.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

I would also like to know the answer before I have the question.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have dealt with stock lifter problems before and have seen a few bad batches in the past from new LS7 lifters.

I would say most of the time the problem with the lifter failures IF indeed they were "ls7 lifters" and not stock lifters in the engine is from user abuse/neglect. After that is usually a question of installer error or improper lifter preload. Even using lower quality oil and filters can cause these issues.

This thread is not to say LS7 lifters are bad, nor did I ever say that.
This thread is to offer another alternative to them that are higher quality and a direct drop in. For some of the more aggressive cam lobes out there and higher spring pressures, I would be a bit wary of using LS7 lifters over a higher quality style.

Also using brand new LS7 lifters on a used camshaft....that is questionable also. Quite often the people trying to save money with budget builds often find themselves upside down in the budget when things go wrong. Using quality parts will nearly always equate to a quality build. I have yet to hear anything to the contrary. The LS7 lifters are good quality, but there are better out there.

My vote is for link bars, but they are not a part of this thread.

Does that answer your question? We dont just sell parts and make threads just to sell parts. We are also here to educate and give alternatives.
Thanks for the response, I am not trying to imply that you are bashing LS7 lifters to sell Lunati replacements. My question was based on the title of your thread and the fact that you as a shop would see more lifter / cam installs than the average guy wrenching in his garage. So I was simply asking for real world experience good or bad VS internet ban wagon.

I'm sure Lunati makes a quality lifter. I have their voodoo crank in my car as we speak, great quality. I understand you are just trying to sell a good alternative to a stock component. I just wanted to hear what your issues were with the LS7 lifter.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have seen bad batches of them in the past yes. Does that mean I am saying all of them are bad or are bad now? No. You are confused because you are trying to read too much into what you want me to say.

If you read the threads you hear how leery some people are of LS7 lifters and really no one had an option save for $500 morels etc. So there does seem to be some issue on the boards, at least, talking about them. This thread is about them and others...not me.

You somehow seem insulted by my thread title? I am unsure of that. I have been straight forward and direct with each post and answer. If I did not have a true answer, I didnt write it. Just like the actual down and dirty technical facts behind the lifters themselves. Esp trying to get answers on a friday. So if you stay tuned to the thread, you can have actual facts on the lifters themselves.

I personally have seen quite a bit more than a few failures of engines. I am glad to say I have never blown up nor caused damage to an LS engine myself. Have I seen lifters fail? Yes. Can I say 100% that they were LS7 lifters? No. So I wont. In that respect I have no say. That works alot better for me than someone misquoting me saying I am bashing the LS7 lifters etc later on.

There were a few problems in the past with bad batches of LS7 lifter sets that were new, but that was about 4 years ago or so. I have not personally heard of bad batches lately and like I said previously, the damage could be from builder error or abuse/neglect but who is to really say. Paul Harvey is dead, so we will never know the rest of the story.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385540

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136468

http://www.lsxc.com.au/ozlsxforum/sh...Lifter-Failure

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...31995&start=30

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-failure.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...r-failure.html

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/COMP...12_274-291.pdf

http://www.carolinahorsepower.com/fo...ad.php?t=11283
Old 03-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Lunati OEM Replacement Hydraulic Roller Lifters (GM V8 262-400, LS)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, since not everyone has $500+ to spend on Morel's there has to be another alternative.

Guess who make's Lunati's lifters.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the understanding that in a significant amount of cases cracked lifter trays were a big problem when it came to running the ls7 lifter?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I was under the understanding that in a significant amount of cases cracked lifter trays were a big problem when it came to running the ls7 lifter?
That may well be. There were a few threads in the past about people trying to show that some of the original and factory installed ls1 lifter trays were not cast correctly. I cannot say either way on that part. I have not hear of too many ls2 trays cracking.

Quite often the trays will crack due to the drill mod that people are still doing to them. Ive seen that first hand.

You can likely bet that what I have gone over before is the biggest cause, BUT if there is any other cause such as the quality of the lifter itself, then again they are the next best option.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

What RPM does Lunati rate these for? I know the entry level tie bars only state to 6500.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

They are rated at 6500 although I have personally seen more out of them but not above 7k. Most setups wont go that high anyway save for maybe an over rev. If you want a higher revving lifter, they do have those but they are quite pricey for a drop in and THEN I would look into the high rev tie bar lifters as they will run nearly the same price or maybe less and be more stable at the higher RPMs.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know when i'm at the track, i have a projected shift point of 6600-6800. Now on the street, it won't be pushed that hard. These may be a viable option over the LS7's and higher priced lifters. What are your opinions on the Lunati street tie bars? Have you heard of issues? I'd rather run a tie bar lifter vs. cheap plastic trays. Not a fan of plastic internal parts. This is purely opinion though, not fact.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have not heard of any issues with the street tie bars. I would and have run them in quite a few engines.

If they were easier on the wallet, I would have offered them as the first viable option, but they are a tad up there.

Here they are though.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also using brand new LS7 lifters on a used camshaft....that is questionable also.
Kinda wondering why this would be an issue?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Becuase you wont know the exact surface hardness or hardness depth of the cam. Or how many times it has changed hands, or if someone had problems with the cam and just wont say. There are too many unknowns unless you get the cam checked out first.

If you want the peace of mind of using used lifters on a used cam...why not just use them on a new cam and have no worries?
Why not just used used lifters on a used cam?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the street lunati link bar in my 418 reved it 7500 with no problems. The cam, springs, pr, and rockers have far more to do with it than the lifters.

The 454 has the high rpm lunati I rev this to 7500. Bigger wheels, better body material and much less preload is needed.

Tim
Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for the input. I think these are rated like the generic cam power ranges are rated. But I am trying to give only the manuf recommended specs.

Quick Reply: THE answer to your ls7 lifter woes.