Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 block not enough compression for bigger cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 block not enough compression for bigger cams?

i have a buddy that was a gm mechanic and basically said the stock ls1 block does not have enough compression for larger cam......
larger cam meaning 23x/23x or 23x/24x such as the popular ms3 or ms4
Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Enough compression for what? For the engine to run or for the cam to perform at its absolute best?

Obviously more compression will help those bigger cams down low, but it's not like it's not going to run if you put such a cam in. It will just be lazy as heck below 4000rpm.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
Enough compression for what? For the engine to run or for the cam to perform at its absolute best?

Obviously more compression will help those bigger cams down low, but it's not like it's not going to run if you put such a cam in. It will just be lazy as heck below 4000rpm.

yeah basically he was saying you cant really give what that cam needs
Old 03-05-2014, 03:21 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by possessedsaint
yeah basically he was saying you cant really give what that cam needs
Tell him to get back to changing people's oil and brake pads and leave the performance stuff for people who passed algebra class in high school. You can get over 11.5:1 CR on a stock shortblock.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will have 14.1:1 here...with a 242/252 cam....the mechanic has no clue what he is talking about. I could still run a slightly smaller cam but 11:1 and be fine. Internal components will be aftermarket but still a gen III block.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, that's sorta true. A stock ls1 engine - meaning complete stock engine, not just block - has a compression ratio of 10.1.

"Big" cams with a lot of duration and overlap don't run very in low compression engines. Because of the overlap, they don't build cylinder pressure. And cylinder pressure is what makes power. The engine will still run. But it just may not be the right cam for that engine combo. It's a system, and all the parts need to match.

Keep in mind that us old farts can remember when 9.0 was considered high compression, and got really excited about 10.0. How old is your friend?

Sometimes you can put in a "smaller" cam and make more power under the curve by giving up a little off the top.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Then why do the larger cams still make good power? You can tune them although down low may make lazy O2s. If you flycut you can put a big donkey dick cam in them and still make power. Cylinder pressure may make tq, but the engine can still make alot of HP. As long as the engine can breathe in the upper RPMS, thats all it needs to make HP. Even on stock injectors like most like to push them.

The problem normally comes from putting the wrong cam in for the wrong reasons in the wrong combination. Being cheap is never a good excuse.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by possessedsaint
i have a buddy that was a gm mechanic and basically said the stock ls1 block does not have enough compression for larger cam......
larger cam meaning 23x/23x or 23x/24x such as the popular ms3 or ms4
The "block" has NOTHING to do with Compression Ratio. Sounds like a "wannabe", as a GM Mechanic ( or just about ANY "mechanic" ) should know better than to make a claim like that !
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every mechanic I've ever talked to seems to think they can build a pro stock motor. I just pay them no mind. Or prove them wrong depending on my mood.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

well yea...im sure he was referring to completely stock...internals as well
Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Then why do the larger cams still make good power? You can tune them although down low may make lazy O2s. If you flycut you can put a big donkey dick cam in them and still make power. Cylinder pressure may make tq, but the engine can still make alot of HP. As long as the engine can breathe in the upper RPMS, thats all it needs to make HP.
Depends on what your goal is. If all you're interested in is a peak HP number at WOT, like drag racing, then it will work just fine. Put in the biggest cam the heads will support. That will make for a fast car for low investment - tough combination to beat.

But I road race. I don't really care about peak HP numbers. I want torque, and a lot of it. I want lots of area under the curve. I want a broad flat torque curve that will pull me out of a corner and down the back stretch. The flatter the torque curve is the happier I am. That means less time wasted shifting.

When I build a street engine, I want pretty much the same thing. Lots of torque in a light weight car is a real joy to drive.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A proper cam will beat a generic donkey dick and you really dont have to spend that much more.
New custom cam from us is 385 shipped.
Quite a few new cams are that price or higher from some companies.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A proper cam will beat a generic donkey dick and you really dont have to spend that much more.
New custom cam from us is 385 shipped.
Quite a few new cams are that price or higher from some companies.

Quick Reply: ls1 block not enough compression for bigger cams?