Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much crankcase pressure? popped pcv out

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unhappy too much crankcase pressure? popped pcv out

Recently got done swapping my 317 heads with the ls6 heads from a buddy of mine. also installed a ported tb from the truck engine where theres no vac hose(i'll get into soon) and i was able to drive it home last week. havent been able to drive it until today and this whole issue started to happen.

so currently my PCV setup is pcv sitting in on the drivers sdie and a hose that goes to a catch can and then goes into the LS6 intake manifold. since the truck tb doesnt have a vac port, the passenger side valve cover vac was capped. so today with the motor running i heard a squeeky sound that resembles a loose belt but it wasnt coming from the belt/idler pulley. i narroed it down to the pcv and i decided to go get a new one and install it in. once the new one was installed the squeeky sound was gone, so i thought. took the car out for a drive and got on it a few times. on the last one when i left off on the top of 3rd gear i heard a baning sound like some metal broke and then i looked behind my rearview mirrow and blue smoke was coming from under the car. the cabin slowly was filling up with blue smoke.

i pulled into a nearby sonics where the locals hang out and pooped the hood. oil was everywhere and i noticed the pcv was out from the valve cover and oil spewed out and everywhere. oil level and pressure's all fine after i cleaned as much of the oil around the engine bay as possible. i have heard ppl blowing piston rings from over-ventilation in the crankcase and that leads to major rebuilds and such? my question is, how bad is this? i just orderd a metco valve cover breather as my buddy suggested i get it and just remove the pcv system, but i dont know if the damage's already been done?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it forced the tube out or off, I would think that you have too much crank case pressure.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What year & model truck is the TB from? Should be a hose fitting at the top of the TB. And a hose connecting it to the pass valve cover.

Don't use an valve cover breather, as you will get oil smoke and or oil coming out of it.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I woud rather run the breather and have the "oil smoke" come out there than recirculate it through my motor
Old 04-28-2014, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, sorry i meant too much too much pressure. i'll have to see what year tb it was. it was my buddy's since the one i originally had had a hole in it from over-porting.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm just hoping it didnt crack a ringland..... but i think i did. havent done a compression test or leakdown test yet but i want to try and diagnose everything else before i do that (or have my buddy do it). i just dont understand how there's too much crankcase pressure even even with the pcv setup im using

edit-and i noticed when i pooped the hood the dipstick popped up a bit too unfortunately. cant recall if any oil was on it or not or if the oil erupted from only the pcv port on drivers' side.

Last edited by fst100; 04-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

the tb is from a 5.3
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
the tb is from a 5.3
What year?

Russ Kemp
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

he doesnt remember. why?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Can you take a picture of your setup/catch can hose routing?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

currently at work but its pretty simple:
PCV valve sitting in on drivers side. cant recall the ID of the hose but its whatever that fits over the PCV (5/8"?), from there goes to a homemade oil seperator catch can (there was a DIY link that you can get the oil/water separator at Lowes) and from there goes into the intake manifold. since the TB i have is a truck style 5.3 that has no vacuum port, the one port off the passenger valve cover was covere with a rubber cap. thats basically it.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You're running the catch can driver's side? The intake manifold port is passenger side... And does the oil/water separator have a check valve in it to stop liquid flow? If so, that might keep vacuum from passing through.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You're running the catch can driver's side? The intake manifold port is passenger side... And does the oil/water separator have a check valve in it to stop liquid flow? If so, that might keep vacuum from passing through.
no, its on the passenger side. the hose goes from pcv on driver's side going behind the intake mani and on passenger side. the catch can's just hovering on that side (actually resting on the main wiring harness) and form the other end of the catch can into the side of the intake mani. there's no check valve in the oil/water separator, just whatever residue oil gets filled up in the canister and whatever gets shot back into the intake mani.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

not same brand but similar in appearance and nothing inside the canister.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

few more info on if it may be something else. currently running ~10.8:1CR and my AFR was between 12.7-13.0(hit 13.0 for a couple seconds at the start but stayed around the 12.7 range majority of time), timing at 28-29* and virtually no KR (have a portable scanner that reads KR) on 93oct. would any of that have an effect on whats going on or is it mainly overpressure in the crankcase?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

thinking back a bit, would only having one side of the engine to relief the pressure be enough or create a bottleneck(in this case driver side)? whereas before the throttlebody swap the original one had a vac port to help relieve the pressure on the passenger valve cover port?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
i'm just hoping it didnt crack a ringland..... but i think i did. havent done a compression test or leakdown test yet but i want to try and diagnose everything else before i do that (or have my buddy do it). i just dont understand how there's too much crankcase pressure even even with the pcv setup im using

edit-and i noticed when i pooped the hood the dipstick popped up a bit too unfortunately. cant recall if any oil was on it or not or if the oil erupted from only the pcv port on drivers' side.
had an almost similar issue... except the dipstick was the only thing that I noticed flew out... it was cracked ringlands... funny thing was when I did a compression test it wasn't those pistons that were hosed...

long story short I stroked and forged it...

Hope your outcome is better...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the oil fill cap and put your hand over it when the engine is running .if you feel pulses of air ,then you mite have a bad ring .
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the PCV is the only engine vent, it will blow the PCV out during high rpms everytime. You need to have some sort of breather on that thing! You might start pushing the front and rear seal out if you keep driving it. At least take the cap off of your other valve cover and let it just vent with a hose going in a loop. Best thing would be to connect it back to the intake tube.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funny thing....this guy hasn't joined the TECH forums till later this year
Clearly sent to us from the future.......

Quick Reply: too much crankcase pressure? popped pcv out