Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How necessary is LS2 chain for cam only?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014 | 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Default How necessary is LS2 chain for cam only?

Title pretty much covers it. Car will be cam only for a while until I pull the motor for a complete build in a couple years. No heads, nitrous, nothing, and not abused much. Will be running .625 beehive springs and a 232/238 .595/.605 114+4 cam. People say its so simple since you already have the car apart but I actually feel it's pretty tedious and I honestly just really really really really dont feel like doing it... But of course if it's really necessary I won't skip out on it. I also dont have a damper which I read should be used with the LS2 chain. Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2014 | 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you should do a lot more research before you start or pay someone to do it for you. The timing chain has to be removed to get the cam out so it is absolutely no more work. I is changed for super cheap insurance. They are chump change in cost compared to the rest of the parts. Good luck
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

It's 44 bux...does it really matter if it needs it or not at that price?

It's extremely cheap and extremely good insurance. Why not do it?
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thoughts?

Your ******* crazy for thinking you wouldn't have to change your timing chain out when you have the entire front half of the motor torn down.

Katech C5R. That's all.
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:18 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

You don't need it, but like everyone else said its cheap at $40 bucks..

Pair it with a trickflow timing chain damper bracket and you will have a bullet proof setup for under $100

Can't beat that
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by codyvette
Sounds like you should do a lot more research before you start or pay someone to do it for you. The timing chain has to be removed to get the cam out so it is absolutely no more work. I is changed for super cheap insurance. They are chump change in cost compared to the rest of the parts. Good luck
Sounds like you should do a lot more research in what is involved in changing the chain vs just moving it out of the way to change the cam.
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The LS1 timing chain is the thinnest, wimpiest chain you can install in an engine-worse if you're re-using one during engine work. The LS2 set is a nice upgrade. If fundsarelow, just get the chain as the sprockets are the same.

I don't think your application calls for a timing chain damper but as the LS1 version can't be had, you can use the nice kit from Trick Flow, http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....0&autoview=sku

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2014 | 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would say you need to take into account the mileage the engine has on it, how hard it was driven, an how well it was serviced over it's life. Furthermore consider the fact that you're modifying the engine to make more power, which puts more strain on the already worn parts. IMO, if you can afford to do it right then do it, otherwise wait until you can. Regardless, just make sure you're comfortable with the choice you make.
Old 06-09-2014 | 03:29 AM

The LS2 set is a nice upgrade. If fundsarelow, just get the chain as the sprockets are the same.
Old 06-09-2014 | 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Sounds like you should do a lot more research in what is involved in changing the chain vs just moving it out of the way to change the cam.
Thank you, it's honestly a huge pain in the *** and after being at it for 10 hours yesterday by myself I was exhausted and really did not want to have to deal with lowering the oil pan, removing the oil pump, ect. and then having to put it back together.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I would say you need to take into account the mileage the engine has on it, how hard it was driven, an how well it was serviced over it's life. Furthermore consider the fact that you're modifying the engine to make more power, which puts more strain on the already worn parts. IMO, if you can afford to do it right then do it, otherwise wait until you can. Regardless, just make sure you're comfortable with the choice you make.
Engine has 80k, I can't say how hard it was driven before I owned it but I dont beat on it much, and serviced properly and the chain as well as all the other internals look good. Motor has been the only part of the car thats been rock solid with zero problems since I've owned it, so I honestly feel like the power gained from the cam isn't significant enough to put that much strain on it. Theres people with bolt on cars who just strap on 100 or 150 shots, tune, and spray the hell out of it without changing a single thing in the motor and don't have problems so I just can't see 50-60whp gain being that much more stressful on the chain.

It it a lot more work as briefly explained above, you should try doing some research. Yes they're cheap to buy but not cheap in terms of time and work when doing it yourself. I always read that it's "recommended but not required". Seems most people do the switch, but for those that don't I've never heard of someone with a cam only car breaking an LS1 chain.
Old 06-09-2014 | 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Run the original if u choose to. The ls2 chain is a lil stronger and thicker. Your choice. I ran my stock chain with a can only setup for 2 years without a problem. I drive mine pretty hard to. I would just swap the cam for now. Change chain, and oil pump etc when u pull motor. You'll be fine.
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS2 Chain is thicker, is better to be safe than sorry for that price.
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If funds are limiting from Modding wait a little while and save up from it. I'd definitely get the ls2 chain vs leaving the stock with 80k miles on it
Old 06-10-2014 | 01:27 AM

I is changed for super cheap insurance. They are chump change in cost compared to the rest of the parts. Good luck
Old 06-10-2014 | 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, get rid of LS1 chain and upgrade to LS2 chain. Might as well.
Old 06-10-2014 | 01:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Changing the chain does require more work. That's why I'd do the C5R chain from Katech. You'll never have to worry about it again...
Old 06-10-2014 | 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
OK. I guess you got me there if you are going to leave the original pump in place and wait for the damn motor to go boom. If you are going to half ads everything it will cost you a ton more work. I have seen that little trick backfire too many times.
Old 06-10-2014 | 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

It actually sounds like you already had it all figured out before asking the question in the first place. Good luck to you.
Old 06-10-2014 | 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

If you have skinny fingers you can get the pickup tube bolt out without dropping the pan.
Old 06-10-2014 | 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

If you have skinny fingers you can get the pickup tube bolt out without dropping the pan.
This.

My wife was able to do this for me. Worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: How necessary is LS2 chain for cam only?