Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Lash Solid Roller for the street

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Lash Solid Roller for the street

I just had my Solid roller cam installed in my 2010 test Corvette. Shawn and Nick at
Lethal Racing in Lafayette La. Did a great job on the install. This was a cam,
pushrods, solid lifters and Jesel rockers. We kept the stock exhaust manifolds and
stock mufflers so we could here any lifter/valve noises. As you can here from the
videos it sounds like a stock cam. Zero valve noise. The advantage of solid lifter
one set is there no chance of lifters collapsing. Some of the low Lash solid rollers
have shown over the years to not need any adjusting for 20 to 39 thousand miles or
more. One of our employees here has a 351W ford stroked out to 400CI he put in a
one of our Low Lash roller six years ago he has 15000 miles on it and has never
pulled the valve covers. If you are tired of noisy hydraulic lifters you may want to
think about this option. These cam will make more power turn more RPMs than the
hydraulic cams size per equal size. This cam in this engine is a solid but converted
back to a hydraulic specs it is 222/600/230/580/114+4. If you have question about
this set up please ask.
Attached Thumbnails Low Lash Solid Roller for the street-img_0037.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller for the street-img_0043.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller for the street-img_0032.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller for the street-kip_dyno-1.jpg  

Last edited by Kip Fabre; 06-18-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Very cool Kip!

It should pick up very well with long tube headers and full exhaust. Might I suggest ARH, LG or Kooks in that order if you haven't already sourced a set.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice... How much would a setup like this cost ? Rockers, Push Rods, Lifters, Cam ? Would my Ferrea dual valve springs from a hydraulic set up work with this solid roller?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
Very nice... How much would a setup like this cost ? Rockers, Push Rods, Lifters, Cam ? Would my Ferrea dual valve springs from a hydraulic set up work with this solid roller?
The most expensive difference in a solid like this one and a hydraulic are the rockers and valve covers. The lifters may be more depending on what hydraulics you use. The cam, pushrods, spring kits are the same as the hydraulic set up. The lifters I used are the Morel 4737 they drop on to the standard lifter trays you can also use a tie bar lifter form Morel or any good solid lifter. The 4737 morel are 360.00 a set. The rockers are Jesel are one of the best they go for around 1150.00 depending of your heads but you will not have any rocker problems. A good set of valve cover go for around 350.00. If you want to make more power turn more rpms have less valve noise this is what you need. I guess I am old school when I think of a performance cam I think a SOLID LIFTER CAM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Very cool Kip!

It should pick up very well with long tube headers and full exhaust. Might I suggest ARH, LG or Kooks in that order if you haven't already sourced a set.
Thanks Martin I have some ARH 1 7/8 long tube on the way. How much power will I pick up?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about valve springs? Will it need higher pressure springs specifically for solid roller? What seat/open pressure springs would you suggest?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOLO
What about valve springs? Will it need higher pressure springs specifically for solid roller? What seat/open pressure springs would you suggest?
Most people over spring. I have 145 closed and about 380 open with 600/585 lift you can see on the dyno sheet it was stable at 6800. I have run it to 7500 and it was still pulling hard no sign of valve float. Your spring presser depend on the cam specs and the rpm you want to run.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
The most expensive difference in a solid like this one and a hydraulic are the rockers and valve covers. The lifters may be more depending on what hydraulics you use. The cam, pushrods, spring kits are the same as the hydraulic set up. The lifters I used are the Morel 4737 they drop on to the standard lifter trays you can also use a tie bar lifter form Morel or any good solid lifter. The 4737 morel are 360.00 a set. The rockers are Jesel are one of the best they go for around 1150.00 depending of your heads but you will not have any rocker problems. A good set of valve cover go for around 350.00. If you want to make more power turn more rpms have less valve noise this is what you need. I guess I am old school when I think of a performance cam I think a SOLID LIFTER CAM.

Thanks for the info Kip...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome info, just curious but will the cheaper jesels work? what kind of rockers are needed to run the solid roller
Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I am old school when I think of a performance cam I think a SOLID LIFTER CAM.
Couldn't agree more. Although I know that you have probably done some very impressive hydraulic roller camshafts, to me a solid roller is the ultimate in performance.
Thanks Martin I have some ARH 1 7/8 long tube on the way. How much power will I pick up?
Kip, honestly I would expect no less than 30rwhp and you could possibly pick up even more.

Are you just going to run extensions off the collectors into the factory H-pipe and cat-back exhaust or did you opt for the full exhaust from primaries to tail pipes from ARH?

That is a very nice system BTW for anyone that hasn't seen it. ARH makes a really nice product.
Originally Posted by redbird555
awesome info, just curious but will the cheaper jesels work? what kind of rockers are needed to run the solid roller
If you're referring to the "Sportsman Series" Jesel rockers no they wouldn't work as they aren't adjustable.

You could use push rod length to adjust lash if you really wanted to run those rockers, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great set up. I am also running one of Kip's low lash solid roller cams. I covered the install in my build thread here on tech. I just returned from Hot Rod Power Tour and can't wait to get mine dyno tuned. These solid cams are quiet, sound incredible at idle and keep pulling like a freight train up top. I've ran mine to 7400 (according to HP Tuners log, not my tach which slows down at 6500) with no sign of power loss.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad *** stuff right there for sure. Nice to see something different.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
those are the less expensive ones. ( High impact) is on this thread with the firebird he was our first test ginny pigJ we made him a Low Lash roller sent solid lifters and a set of YT rockers with the adjuster on the rocker. They are about 680.00 a set the only problem was we could not find a valve cover to fit. They come with thick gaskets no go. We had some spacers sent they did not fit they ground on the spacers still did not fit. We sent a set of Mast M/S deluxe valve covers over they did not fit rockers hitting. Next they ground the Mast valve covers but not enough to kill them still did not fit. So I sent over the Jesels now it works with the Mast valve covers. We tried to do the project spending the least amount of money but that did not work. I received a little lesson with these LS engines. One of the advantages of running the good parts like the Jesels is there is a good chance you will never have a problem.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Couldn't agree more. Although I know that you have probably done some very impressive hydraulic roller camshafts, to me a solid roller is the ultimate in performance.

Kip, honestly I would expect no less than 30rwhp and you could possibly pick up even more.

Are you just going to run extensions off the collectors into the factory H-pipe and cat-back exhaust or did you opt for the full exhaust from primaries to tail pipes from ARH?

That is a very nice system BTW for anyone that hasn't seen it. ARH makes a really nice product.

If you're referring to the "Sportsman Series" Jesel rockers no they wouldn't work as they aren't adjustable.

You could use push rod length to adjust lash if you really wanted to run those rockers, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I am really not sure. Nick took care of everything I think no cats but I think stock mufflers.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

How much does the lash change cold to hot?
I assume you have a cold setting to start with then re-lash hot?

Not a trivial task with the LS and the coils on the valve covers.

My alum headed rat changed about .005" when hot. So tighter clearance cold. It wasn't happy idling until it warmed up. Was a low lash street roller, on the order of .018" hot.

Just curious

Ron
Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
How much does the lash change cold to hot?
I assume you have a cold setting to start with then re-lash hot?

Not a trivial task with the LS and the coils on the valve covers.

My alum headed rat changed about .005" when hot. So tighter clearance cold. It wasn't happy idling until it warmed up. Was a low lash street roller, on the order of .018" hot.

Just curious

Ron
The lash changes about .010 after the engine heats up. I wanted it to run with the least valve clearance so we designed the cam to run with .010 lash. So the lash is set to .000 cold when it heats up it is just where we want it .010. Now this is on a aluminum block and aluminum heads. On a steel block aluminum head we would run .006 cold .008 hot.

Quick Reply: Low Lash Solid Roller for the street