Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 "Must Do's" Prior To Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 "Must Do's" Prior To Install

Hellow everyone, brand new to the forums and brand newto the world of LS1s.

I just recently purchased an LS1 with a T56 6-speed transmission for my project car (about 100K miles on it) and while I have the engine out I'm looking for a list of things/suggestions that I should absolutely do to the engine before it goes back in.

I've searched to no avail. All advice is welcome.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might consider looking/searching in the "Conversions & Hybrids" section.

But, if I were you, I'd consider the application first. Are you going to street or strip it? Budget build? Regardless, I'd do the minimum of rebuild the motor with new lifters, ported/polished oil pump (Hubbard Racing Inc. will port & polish your stock pump, they're a sponsor), new valve springs, timing chain, and run it. I'd also consider a new clutch(LS7 clutch?).

There are tons of modifications you could do, but this would be the minimum for a 100k mile motor.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by idle
You might consider looking/searching in the "Conversions & Hybrids" section.

But, if I were you, I'd consider the application first. Are you going to street or strip it? Budget build? Regardless, I'd do the minimum of rebuild the motor with new lifters, ported/polished oil pump (Hubbard Racing Inc. will port & polish your stock pump, they're a sponsor), new valve springs, timing chain, and run it. I'd also consider a new clutch(LS7 clutch?).

There are tons of modifications you could do, but this would be the minimum for a 100k mile motor.
Thanks for the input. I have no idea what has been previously done to this engine, I'm operating on the assumption that nothing has been.

It's going to be strictly used on the street. I'm not looking for anything crazy out of this engine... the one thing I'm after first and foremost is reliability.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Tell us what kind of car it's going in and we'll tell you what section to post questions about it.

This here's the internal engine section. Pistons, cranks, bearings......
Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would certainly pull off the heads and replace the lifters, lifter trays, headgaskets, pushrods and springs/seals. Then also replace the oil pump and timing chain.

Those are all relatively inexpensive items and pretty easy to do while the engine is out. And all of them are things that would wear out with age and should increase the reliability of the engine.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace any and all gaskets and seals especially the oil pan gasket, rear main cover, rear main seal. I would take the heads off replace the head gaskets, at least throw some ls7 lifters in there with new lifter trays. Replace all the valve stem seals. Oil pump, timing chain. If you have the money now is a great time to get a cam even if you can only afford to throw in a ls6 cam its better than nothing.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redtan
I would certainly pull off the heads and replace the lifters, lifter trays, headgaskets, pushrods and springs/seals. Then also replace the oil pump and timing chain.

Those are all relatively inexpensive items and pretty easy to do while the engine is out. And all of them are things that would wear out with age and should increase the reliability of the engine.
Just out of my own curiosity, how are the lifter trays going to wear? They are pieces of plastic that do not wear after all.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

They wear from engine vibration and generally from being thin plastic pieces of crap. Some cars you change a waterpump everytime youtake a belt off. On these whenever you open it up you use new trays. Its $30 to replace a part that could destroy the whole motor.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just out of my own curiosity, how are the lifter trays going to wear? They are pieces of plastic that do not wear after all.
They don't "wear" per-se, but they do weaken and can crack especially the earlier LS1 ones. LS2s and beyond got better stuff so at the very least upgrade for $16.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome and for all the advice/suggestions.

I was contemplating doing a different CAM while the engine's out. I'll have to research into it a little more. I'd love to have something with a real lumpy idle... this is my first "performance" V8 and that lumpy idle has always been a dream of mine to have.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speak with Martin form Tick performance about your goals re cam, he will will supply you exactly what you need. Tick performance is a sponsor on the right
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tram Common
Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome and for all the advice/suggestions.

I was contemplating doing a different CAM while the engine's out. I'll have to research into it a little more. I'd love to have something with a real lumpy idle... this is my first "performance" V8 and that lumpy idle has always been a dream of mine to have.
If you're wanting to put in a different sized cam, you shoulder consider a full Head/Cam/Intake installation. By getting a cam, you're required to change your pushrods & valve springs. In which case, you might as well change your oil pump to a ported & polished oil pump, new timing chain, new lifters, trunion upgrade kit from Comp cams for your rockers, a new intake manifold (LS6 is a very common upgrade), headers (1 7/8" for max power or 1 3/4" for ease of installation.

If it were me and had the funds, I'd do it all now.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also consider getting new injectors or getting the originals tested/serviced. It's pretty cheap to get done and can save you some headaches later. Luckily I had my injectors tested before installation. The engine I bought for my swap had been sitting for a couple of years and it had some injectors sticking. It's much better knowing they are good before you install rather than trying to troubleshoot it later and figure out why its not running right.

Quick Reply: LS1 "Must Do's" Prior To Install