Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desktop Dyno 5 VS Sim 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Desktop Dyno 5 VS Sim 5

Im trying to decide on a Budget software and could Use some pros and cons of each. intended use will be for a stock LS1 and different cams,exhausts to study the tq curve(low end) and hp peek. id like to compare high lift xe lobes to lsl on various Lobe Seperations,splits,etc
Can all this be done on Desktop dyno 5 or should i look at sim 5???
THANKS
Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Forget it, don't waste your time or money.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Teching In

could You maybe share why You feel this way? Sim 5 may be a bit expensive for my limited use but the other may dial me in a bit more.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to **** away your time and try and reinvent the wheel and get a mediocre result I believe Comp offers a free "utility".

If you want an actual good cam for your setup talk to a reputable vendor.

Last guy I saw spec himself a cam using cheap software ended up admitting it was a complete mistake. Software talked him into like 8 degrees more duration and 4degrees wider LSA and the car was slower NA and the same on the jug.

There is good software out there but it is a lot more involved than a novice enthusiast can setup to be accurate.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Forget it, don't waste your time or money.
You are correct Sir. Some of those programs can be so far off you wonder how it came with that recombination.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks Kip
im not interested in exact #s or highest hp but to see at what point things are happening is key...mainly TQ curves.
i mean i can compare 10 cams and ask 8 Vendors and ill get at least 8 ideas on the best way to do it based on personal bias.
In the end i dont want to use Off the shelf for a cam,i dont want to Use All the knowledge i can read about and i dont want to use, software to aid me. i want to Use All of these then tell my favorite vendor what i am wanting and have him Zero in the final touch on it. i mean i better know if i want a cam closer to 35 icl OR 30 right? guess knowing as much as i can is how im wired
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

those programs are novelties. they are not professional modeling programs. almost all the stuff you will find for consumers are just a step up from a video game. the professional level stuff that likely exists will 1) not be available or hard to get and 2) will require the knowledge and experience to have them be useful in the first place.

professional modeling software for this sort of thing would blow minds with how intricate and complex it is.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of people here helped me understand cams in this thread. My first post is long and my goal may not be the same as yours but the replies helped me. I especially liked what Lloyd Eliott said.

IVO- earlier you open the intake valve, the higher the lift point when the piston starts sucking on the port (good thing) but you have to watch the IVO/EVC and amount of overlap so you do not contaminate the mixture of next intake stroke.

IVC- earlier you close the intake valve, the more cylinder pressure (dynamic compression) you trap and the later you close the intake valve, the less cylinder pressure you trap but a later IVC also allows a few extre degrees for cylinder filling and can make a lil more top end power. The LONG runners on the LS1 are gonna have a stronger and longer pulse for better cylinder filling for a few degrees after the piston stops sucking on the port and my comment was that the people that use "DCR only" to determine IVC will be missing out on some power.

EVO- earlier you open the exhaust valve, the sooner you stop pushing on the piston (blow down). This can hurt TQ at low RPM, mid range and even top end. If using enough nitrous or have enough intake flow (sheet metal intake, etc), you can see some HP at high RPM by an earlier EVO. Most people lose alot of TQ with too early of an EVO.

EVC- the later you close the exhaust valve (tighter LSA, larger ex duration lobe), the higher lift the valve is at when the piston nears TDC so you can get more air out of the cylinder but you have to worry about where the air is going and make sure it is going out the exhaust instead of up the intake port (reversion) during overlap. The earlier you close the exhaust valve, the less reversion you have to contend with . LLoyd Eliott

A long runner intake like the LS6 want's to make peak HP at 6200 rpm and a IVC of 42* works well. A FAST peaks around 6400 rpm so IVC 44*. Any cam bigger (for a 346) will carry the power longer. Larger engines can "soak up" more duration. Under 7* overlap should be street friendly. Over 12* hurts MPG and vacuum. More compression can make a big cam more friendly at low rpm and allow a earlier EVO. Reversion will hurt power by contaminating the charge.
I was in a head porting thread talking about flow benches and 96capricemgr reminded us that the air in a engine does not flow in one direction only, it is elastic and can reverse directions. Exhaust also. If I was going to invest in software, I would buy Pipemax.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks Everyone i think ill forgo the software

Quick Reply: Desktop Dyno 5 VS Sim 5