Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for the rich smell is tuning, your idle may be a little low too, it may idle fine, but if the idle is a tad low and your car isn't tuned right, it will dump all kinds of fuel in at idle. I had this too, just got it retuned last night for the new cam, just for the street though, not WOT on the dyno. My car had that fuel smell at idle, it's gotten better now an is not as strong, we bumped the idle up 50 RPM for A/C off and on.

I don't have any surge at all really, can't tell if I do And I do have motor shake of course, but I do have bad motor mounts, and a bad tranny mount, so I am sure that's the main reason, but I like that shake, let's me and others know my car doesn't mess around

I would have the tune looked at, it will help your gas mileage too, plus save your lungs

These cams are serious sob's!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of tune do yall have on the X3? I am planning on the x3, comp921 kit, and TR stock length hardend rods. But dont know what tune I should be looking to get. I am assuming LS1edit and the closest place that has it to me is Fbodycentral.

Anyone know how their tunes work?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

i would like to stay street legal and be able to pass emissions tests too... will these cams allow for that, I know the long tubes won't... I've got a flowmaster 40 series muffler too...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Frey - I use LS1edit, a friend tunes if for me, he knows his ****, so that's why I use him. Don't know what it entales, I am sure it's not easy, just from the looks of it, it would take me a while to get it figured out. Go to someone that knows it

Abidar - Our emissions just check for codes, which we can turn everything off via LS1edit, so it's all good And GET RID of that Flowmaster, they actually hurt flow, been proven many times. Get a new catback or get true duals, much better flow and power. get LT's and take them off for the emissions if you are worried about it, every 2 years won't hurt ya
Old 06-01-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

The problem is money, ls1 edit is 550, long tubes are 600-1200, new catback is 600 or true duals are about the same i'm sure. then we get to the cam finally, oh forgot the converter, another couple hundred. About to go to college, maybe I just need to wait for the next gen camaro and sell this one to my dad... check out the ls2 torque curve, it's bad ***
Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
Awesome! awesome posts guys!. Please keep giving us more information the more the better

haha

... J/K brotha!

What do mean 20rwhp more? as in ill dyno 400rwhp or 420rwhp? (dont know if you meant 20rwhp more than SSOnYourSix's dyno graph or my current setup )

2) 420rwhp with that cam only and bolt ons? awesome! maybe not for me though since Im sticking with cats and no electric waterpump.

4) would you be able to shoot a vid to show us how unshakey the car is? Something like laying the camera on the dash with the hood up could be cool or maybe taping the door while its open (to see if its shaking right above the ground ... know what i mean?). I would REAALLLY appreciate it if you could do something like that as it would be such a favor. Im terribly worried how much shakier it would be than the cam that i already have as I hate it! (but i think mine has a shitty tuning "shakeness wise" not powerwise).

SSOnYourSix, how do you like the 3:73s on your car? i would love to have a highway car too and would love to know how fast (mph) you can go in 4th gear and at what rpms. Im thinking at 6900rpms you might be at 141mph in 4th gear. Do you happen to have a dyno chart with mph in the bottom (instead of RPMs?) Im worried 3:42s might be faster than 3:73s with that much power in forth gear, and hence, maybe 3:42s will be faster?). How do you like those gears on spray too? If you can find out where you top out on 4th gear I would really be interested.

thanks again guys
3.42s suck... too much gear and it takes forever to shift! go with a 3.73 or 4.10 setup! It LOVES the spray... also I hit about 145ish at 7000 and thats usually the end of my races as I dont spray in 5th. If I can find someone locally with a good camera I will shoot some vids, but the vids done with my digicam dont have sound...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99SeanWS6
Are there alot of people who are running the x3 cam with an A4, and any of those daily drivers?
My customer with the X2 in his T/A is handicapped in a wheelchair and he drives the car EVERY day... hope that helps how drivable the cam is
Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frey51
what kind of tune do yall have on the X3? I am planning on the x3, comp921 kit, and TR stock length hardend rods. But dont know what tune I should be looking to get. I am assuming LS1edit and the closest place that has it to me is Fbodycentral.

Anyone know how their tunes work?
We have a tuner out here, if you want... get LS1 edit and for $100 he will send you a few mail order tunes... hes VERY good with drivability!
Old 06-01-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Abidar
The problem is money, ls1 edit is 550, long tubes are 600-1200, new catback is 600 or true duals are about the same i'm sure. then we get to the cam finally, oh forgot the converter, another couple hundred. About to go to college, maybe I just need to wait for the next gen camaro and sell this one to my dad... check out the ls2 torque curve, it's bad ***
Too bad you arent in AZ, I would take care of you on most of the parts MUCH cheaper!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Matt -You're new setup is flycut, you didn't have them make the heads special for your X3 on a 112 right? Bryce has the X2 though, the X3 has more lift which will cause the problem with the pistons right?
My new setup has 2cc valve reliefs, so no special work was needed on the heads.

As far as the X3 having more lift than the X2, I'm sworn to secrecy on that issue as the X3 specs aren't released.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah you flycut the pistons, because you are running the X3 on a 112 and are usingg big heads with larger valves, but Bryce has the smaller X2 and GTP heads, so he doesn't need to flycut, I am sure if he had the X3 112, he would have. As for the specs, I know what you mean I have an idea what they are
Old 06-01-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just bought my cam this morning from lg, i cant wait to get it in. This cam is SICK. My buddy has it and is making 467 n/a 610 N.O.S.. I hope to make like 425. I have a ser of kooks 1 7/8's and ory comming too, tsp rods, tsp ls6 oil pump, jwis timing chain, patriot gold springs and harlan rockers.. cant wait!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cost of cam? did ya order all valvetrain components as well?

let me know total cost
Old 06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats, you are gonna love it. what did you get, X3 114?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dvandentop
cost of cam? did ya order all valvetrain components as well?

let me know total cost
Sure did,
Tsp Ported ls6 oil pump
Tsp chromoly 7.4" Hardened pushrods
Patriot Gold dual spings
Titanium retainers and seats
1.7 Ratio Harland Sharp shaft mounted RR's
Kook's 17/8" stainless longtube headers
Kook's 3" offroad y pipe
O2 hookup extensions
JWIS Timing chain
LG Motorsports G5X3 camshaft
Autometer 2 1/16" carbon fiber A/F, Water temp, Oil press. guages
I spent about 2k with everything, but i think its well spent!

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Congrats, you are gonna love it. what did you get, X3 114?
Yup the x3 on the 114!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

NICE! Damn you are gonna see a huge difference with ALL that stuff bro, badass!!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Teching In

As far as a question a while back about putting 1.8 rockers on I would not reccomend it for a few reasons. 1. the cam already has a high enough lift that it is bringing your HP numbers on in the higher rpms and same with the torque. If you raise that number on the intake and exhaust side it will move those numbers higher up in the rpm's. As stated before this cam pulls past 6900 rpms and if you do not have a built motor it will not take long before you wil have to rebuild a motor. Stock bottom end they don't recommend going over 7000 rpm's. Now, I don't know for sure or not just guessig but with a huge cam like this plus adding more lift and exhaust it may not have enough clearance and the valves may hit the heads. 2. A big cam with high lifts and exhaust does not always make a car run better. It needs the proper parts to match up with too make it run great. I would say honestly once you start making over 430 or so and want more torque you will have to go with bigger heads because all that cam will not make power if it can't breathe.
Someone asked about putting the X3 in an automatic car. From what I have seen from a few guys that have tried it are having serious tuning issues with it running real fat at idle and not being able to set it properly to run with the a/c on. They also said they needed a big convertor, 4000 and up to take advantage of the cam. Hope this answered a few other questions others were wanting to know.
By the way I bought the kit from LG and it was I believe around $1299 with the cam, springs and pushrods.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Oh and by the way if trying to figure out $ wise don't forget installation and definately needs tuning done. The car is a pain to drive until tuning is done. Will not idle hardly and will surge terribly hunting for an idle not good when wanting to go to a stop from the freeway and the car dies on you.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Went to LG site.
Is the G2-G114 the X2 cam?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flat out... If you go with a X3 114, all you need to do is slip it in and get it tuned? No fly cutting, no nothing, just install and drive?

Quick Reply: G5X2 and G5X3