Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
So with my "hypothetical" setup I want...

Long tubes with cats, GMMG, lid, ported TB, LS6 intake, ASP pulley

What cam would be best for me?

It's a M6 and I drive it every day (I put about 20-30 miles on every day). I have 14,5xx miles so far. I like to hit the track, but I find myself more and more racing on the street (stupid, I know ) and running it up to 140 frequently.

I like that the X2 gives the low end torque and will give me an off idle torque feel like a LT1, but I also like how the X3 will rev way out for those top speed runs. I'm also worried with this 112 and 114 stuff. I don't want to mess with anything on the bottom end, and it'll be awhile before I touch the heads. I will do rods and whatever else is recommended with a cam swap though.

Sorry for my ignorance here, but i'm finally past learning the bolt on's and I'm trying to get into the major stuff.
the X3 has PLENTY of low end... get the X3! Just trust me on this one
Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I second that statement, no regrets and love everything about the cam.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see a dyno overlay of a G5X-2 cam vs. a X-3...I bet that there is very little difference. Shoot, the X3 only has what 2 deg more overlap? What are the exact specs anyway? The X3 is just the 2004 bandwagon cam of the year...last year it was the X2 LOL.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
the X3 has PLENTY of low end... get the X3! Just trust me on this one
So why do you have the cut your pistons with a 112 and not a 114? I really don't understand any of this numerical lingo for cam selection, but wouldn't the 114 have a bigger lobe in which would make the valve open more which would smack the top of the piston? I might be way off on how that stuff works, so don't laugh too hard I just want to be able to throw the thing in and get it tuned and not have to worry about anything else.

Oh yeah, I run 93 octane and plan on a tune from Rapid once I do the cam swap.

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread as it's what I think i've been looking for...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
If you wanted an X3 period with aftermarket heads you are looking to flycut the pistons, the larger valves in the new head will run you into problems with the lift these cams have. I know the X2 will work, a guy has one on an A4 with aftermarket heads.

As for the 112LSA, yeah that's cutting it close too, on a stock head it's doable but close. You would have to flycut with that on a X3/aftermarket heads combo, I don't know about the X2/aftermarket combo though. Mike will tell you for sure!
I disagree. If you have aftermarket heads and the valves aren't too big, you can get an X3 on a 114 LSA that will fit. It also depends on how the valves are seated in the heads as they can be embedded at different heights.

Louis can have these X3's custom made to fit many aftermarket heads combos without milling.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
I'd like to see a dyno overlay of a G5X-2 cam vs. a X-3...I bet that there is very little difference. Shoot, the X3 only has what 2 deg more overlap? What are the exact specs anyway? The X3 is just the 2004 bandwagon cam of the year...last year it was the X2 LOL.
X3 IS MUCH different... its two COMPLETLY different cams in every way. But what do I know... ive just owned and installed both

By the way... everyone buys them for a reason...

Last edited by SSOnYourSix; 06-01-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
So why do you have the cut your pistons with a 112 and not a 114? I really don't understand any of this numerical lingo for cam selection, but wouldn't the 114 have a bigger lobe in which would make the valve open more which would smack the top of the piston? I might be way off on how that stuff works, so don't laugh too hard I just want to be able to throw the thing in and get it tuned and not have to worry about anything else.

Oh yeah, I run 93 octane and plan on a tune from Rapid once I do the cam swap.

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread as it's what I think i've been looking for...
Do a search for an explination on LSA... I think Thunder Racing did a write up... But just do the G5X3 114, there is no point in having the 112... the 114 drives soooo nice and makes PLENTY of power down low!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by verbs
I disagree. If you have aftermarket heads and the valves aren't too big, you can get an X3 on a 114 LSA that will fit. It also depends on how the valves are seated in the heads as they can be embedded at different heights.

Louis can have these X3's custom made to fit many aftermarket heads combos without milling.
While most will work, I think Lou says not to more to protect the non mechanics doing the cam swaps... for people that dont want to be exact, or miss shifts now and again it more or less gives LG some insurance... But Matt is right, chances are most heads wont have to be milled... Bryce runs GTP stage II heads with a G5X2 no problem!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! awesome posts guys!. Please keep giving us more information the more the better

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
2.) ****** j/k hehe TX joke Can't tell you for sure, depends on the day, weather, tune, etc. More is all I can tell you Hopefully roughly 20 RWHP.
4.) There's shake don't get us wrong, but it's not any worse than my 224/228 cam was, and that was a 112.
haha

... J/K brotha!

What do mean 20rwhp more? as in ill dyno 400rwhp or 420rwhp? (dont know if you meant 20rwhp more than SSOnYourSix's dyno graph or my current setup )

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
2) usually anyone wiht 28+ degrees of timing and decent gas cranks out 420+ as long as supporting mods are there like headers and such... but no real guarentees! Lou has seen some big numbers in texas for sure!
4) EVERY X3 ive done had no shake... maybe we just have a good tuner but ive had no issues so far
2) 420rwhp with that cam only and bolt ons? awesome! maybe not for me though since Im sticking with cats and no electric waterpump.

4) would you be able to shoot a vid to show us how unshakey the car is? Something like laying the camera on the dash with the hood up could be cool or maybe taping the door while its open (to see if its shaking right above the ground ... know what i mean?). I would REAALLLY appreciate it if you could do something like that as it would be such a favor. Im terribly worried how much shakier it would be than the cam that i already have as I hate it! (but i think mine has a shitty tuning "shakeness wise" not powerwise).

SSOnYourSix, how do you like the 3:73s on your car? i would love to have a highway car too and would love to know how fast (mph) you can go in 4th gear and at what rpms. Im thinking at 6900rpms you might be at 141mph in 4th gear. Do you happen to have a dyno chart with mph in the bottom (instead of RPMs?) Im worried 3:42s might be faster than 3:73s with that much power in forth gear, and hence, maybe 3:42s will be faster?). How do you like those gears on spray too? If you can find out where you top out on 4th gear I would really be interested.

thanks again guys
Old 06-01-2004, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would also love to hear how it lobes like a vid from out side of the car behind the exhaust pipes (not too close) or maybe a video from inside the car with the windows down too... how bad does it surge at idle? how high do you need to raise your idle on this cam setup?

sorry for the many requests i know it will help ALL the readers though.

Gotta go to LG and see a car with that setup before i do anything crazy lol.

Oh yeah 1 more question, when you shift at 7200 (i persume) where do your rpms fall back to in the next coming gear? 5500rpms? would like to know about that as well.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to be a complete Dufus, but what are the X2 & X3 specs??
Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Are there alot of people who are running the x3 cam with an A4, and any of those daily drivers?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Matt - I'm sure it's possible to do anything, but most heads come with big valves now adays, and I am sure the average Joe doesn't know what to ask for with the head setup, just buys what makes HP. You're new setup is flycut, you didn't have them make the heads special for your X3 on a 112 right? Bryce has the X2 though, the X3 has more lift which will cause the problem with the pistons right?

2002_TAWS6 - When I meant 20 HP more, I meant over your current setup, not over Mike's But anything is possible If you are close to LGM I would cruise down there and talk to them and see their cars, that would be the best decision making tool you would have. When we get some vids I will get every possible thing you can imagine to make this decision easier. There's no surging from a start, just so you know And when you hear our cars at idle, you will love it, they are just plain badass, two different setups too as far as exhaust, so you will get to hear the difference. We also don't shift at 7200rpm, are limiters are at 7000rpm, so that would be the highest we would shift, I don't know where my RPMs fall down too after the shift, I will let you know when I get my new tensioner setup and can shift hard and high again

Predator-Z - The specs on the X3 aren't released, I thing someone posted what they thought were the X2 specs somewhere in this thread or another real similiar to it.

99SeanWS6 - I don't know of any personally that are running the X3 on an A4, just the X2 on the A4.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Predator-Z - The specs on the X3 aren't released, I thing someone posted what they thought were the X2 specs somewhere in this thread or another real similiar to it..
Don't poeple get a cam card with those cams??
If not that is kinda silly
Old 06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope This way you don't have some other company copy the cam down to the last spec. They can give you an idea over the phone what it is, but no cam cards. MTI did this same thing when they first cam out with their cams back in '99-'00 area, they wouldn't tell you the specs unless you were going to buy the cam. I had a friend buy their Stage II heads and Cam package and they wouldn't tell him the specs until he was ready to give the Credit Card number
Old 06-01-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

I've got stock headers. I've got SSRA, SLP lid, !MAF screen, getting the SFC welded in soon. How would an X2 and maybe a 75-100hp shot of nitrous feel on the X2? I would probably want to get a converter too, huh? And I don't need to flycut the pistons on the X2 do I? All the different explanations have confused me...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

X2 with a 100 shot is gonna rip your *** a new one The LG G5X2/3 cams LOVE nitrous, Mike's car with the nirtous is just insane, I plan to put the bottle on my fairly soon. A converter will only help matters, I would start with the converter first, they REALLY make a big difference on those cars. Then go the cam/nirtous route. And no, you will not need to flycut the pistons with the X2.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Abidar
I've got stock headers. I've got SSRA, SLP lid, !MAF screen, getting the SFC welded in soon. How would an X2 and maybe a 75-100hp shot of nitrous feel on the X2? I would probably want to get a converter too, huh? And I don't need to flycut the pistons on the X2 do I? All the different explanations have confused me...
The cam will be severly limited without having any upgraded exhaust parts on your car. I would get ATLEAST midlength headers and a cutout, but would HIGHLY recommend long tubes and true duals. From what I have heard, these cams love nitrous so that shouldn't be a problem. The X2 does not require flycutting, unless running a heavily milled set of aftermarket heads.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I have an 02 ZO6 with the X3 cam. It does have a little shake, rattle and roll. People definately know there is a cam in it. The car has all bolt-ons except it runs through the stock cats. It seems o run a little rich at idle but isvery streetable as long as the revs are above 2000. It tends to surge a little under those rpm's but you would think it would with such a big cam. I can sit at a stop light with a/c on and have no problems. You can just smell it running rich but that is probably just a tuning issue. It has 410 gears in it with BFG drag radials on it which are pretty short and made 419 rwhp and like 375 or 385 torque to the rear wheels with the timing only at 26 I believe. Still got 2 to 4 degrees to put in but the tuner did not recommend it with stock cats. I would probably see 430 rwhp and 400 ft lbs of torque without cats and timing bumped up a little. Car is a lot of fun and has tons of power up top. It rolls out pretty good I would say for just a measly little cam car take care and good luck with your choice of cams. You can not go wrong either way.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Also for the speed wise fourth gear with the 4:10's and BFG drag radials according to the dyno hit the rev limiter at 6900 rpm's with a speed estimate of 122 mph. Hope that helps. Car definatley stays in the 5200-5400 rpm range on shifts. Keeps it in that perfect rpm although my peak torque number was at 4500 rpm

Quick Reply: G5X2 and G5X3